cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When your in a park that won't let you wash

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
What tricks do you use to keep it clean. I see some guys using a long handle mop device with a changeable pad and some chemical. I know not to do this when it's really dirty but how about just to keep it looking good? Any ideas out there? Bob
bob b
49 REPLIES 49

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I have a mobil RV wash come to the RV Park!

Last resort had a mobile wash guy who was running a special for washing $6 a foot. YIKES. $240 just for a wash? No thanks.

It was $10 a foot for wash and wax.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mobil RV wash come to the RV Park!

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
It cost a bundle to have some with a polishing pad on a buffer go over a cleaned coach to get the paint back to the shine you expect and no spider webbing. Preventing having to do it saves a ton of money.

Exactly.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Usually, they won't let you wash because of dirt sites, or the most common, they have an arrangement with service to wash the coach for you and a piece of the price, or thy have someone hired to do it and a larger piece of the price.
In Californe of course a water shortage. If the price is reasonable or if they let you wash t for a small fee then it gets done.
Dirt/grit being rubbed around with a rag with or without cleaners really messaes with the paint. Rinsing with some pressure first gets that off, except for wht is stuck to the paint wit clay or road dirt.
A pressure, washer, which I was opposed to for a while, under moderate or light presure and not near windows and sealed seams will get the rest.
A wash with no spot car wash and filtered water, rinsing the mop or brush, if you have too, between loading with fresh car wash from the bucket, will get it about as clean as can be without damaging the paint. It cost a bundle to have some with a polishing pad on a buffer go over a cleaned coach to get the paint back to the shine you expect and no spider webbing. Preventing having to do it saves a ton of money.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
In order of preference, I will use a service, never saw one that would do it for $40, I would drive 100 miles out of my way 🙂 usually pay over $100 for our 36 footer in NM or AZ. Wash/Wax or if just dusty The Solution.

Can't wait until I get home - I am home! At the apartment we stay in for a month or two I have no place for the coach so it is in a storage yard with NO utilities.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It only takes maybe two or three buckets of water to wash the entire coach...what irritates the campgrounds is the guy who just lets the hose run while he washes the coach....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
The DH refuses to use a bucket and cloth. Says the dirt will mess up the paint. Years of washing firetrucks taught him this lesson. I cannot convince him otherwise. So ours stays dirty unless we have access to water.
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
I had one in Nova Scotia tell me I can't use their water to wash, I'd have to use my own.. so I did....
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:
creeper wrote:
I don't see how a California duster can be used properly on a motorhome. It was designed for car show guys who just lightly, with no pressure drag it across the cars paint. Vertical surfaces it's nearly impossible to use without causing damage.

I do see people in mass using it incorrectly and adding the dreaded swirls to their paint jobs. Professional detailers HATE California dusters for the damage they do.

To each their own.

-This is the MH I use the California Duster on, obviously not full body paint. But 21 years old.

To each their own. Works for me.

The swirls and damage can never be picked out in photos. Anything can look great from a distance.

I've fixed fellow car show buddies paint. Paint that they also thought looked great.

When I was done, they were wowed by the difference and never realized how much damage they had done from washing improperly and their beloved California duster.

If you're happy with it, good. I'd never let that thing touch my paint.

BTW, I bet I could pick out plenty of problems with your paint. Easily if it's 13 years old. I see tons of show cars with damaged paint.

Getting ready to fix the paint on my brand new coach, the dealer caused problems just washing it with their stupid brush. A supply drop from amazon.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
creeper wrote:
I don't see how a California duster can be used properly on a motorhome. It was designed for car show guys who just lightly, with no pressure drag it across the cars paint. Vertical surfaces it's nearly impossible to use without causing damage.

I do see people in mass using it incorrectly and adding the dreaded swirls to their paint jobs. Professional detailers HATE California dusters for the damage they do.

To each their own.

-This is the MH I use the California Duster on, obviously not full body paint. But 21 years old.

I also use it on my 1964 500XL with a 13 year old paint job. Don't notice any swirls and win many awards.

To each their own. Works for me.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

creeper
Explorer
Explorer

To each their own.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are some parks that only let you wash if you're there a week or more.

We've asked the reasoning and were told that in the past folks would come in for a day just to wash then leave. They've had issues with people doing that on the same site a few days in a row. Soon the gravel parking area is getting soggy and ruts occur. I saw their point.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always wash the front cap before putting the window coverings on. I'll ask about washing the coach and the reasons for it. If it's water conservation, think California, I'll ask if I can use the water out of my coach since that's what I use anyway. (it's soft water). Most often I'll get permission as they know I'm conserving too...last park we were in, I washed it then waxed it...no problems.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
If the rv is really dirty, I stop and give it a good power wash at a self service car/truck wash before I get to the campground. Once at a campground, I use a damp towel with Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax and Dry, or Lucas Slick Mist. Both products give a great shine. I use a Swiffer pole to reach the higher parts of the rv because you can attach a towel to the four holes in the back.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I usually have the service do it when available. If they say no then I would just respect that and not do it. That will be easy for me as I won't waste a moment of my vac time washing the coach. I do that at home.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone