cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did We Run Out Of Cows??

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
We were shocked yesterday when we went replenish the milk supply. Gallons over $5 and a quart of creme $7+?????
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde
61 REPLIES 61

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
wbwood wrote:
SWMO wrote:
We were shocked yesterday when we went replenish the milk supply. Gallons over $5 and a quart of creme $7+?????

You need to shop somewhere else...we can get a gallon of milk in the $3 price range...

I can't afford to drive to NC.:B

Hey at least here in NC a gallon of milk is cheaper than a gallon of gas...lol

Figured you might have more cows in missouri...lmao
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
fuel cost drives the price of everything. watched oil drop $2.bucks a barrel on thurs so gas goes up .30 cents at the pump. figure that out? there not going to loose. oil is in control of every price out there.

Ethanol boom several years ago.
All my farmer neighbors yanked out their alfalfa/hay fields and planted corn to get rich quick.

Ethanol plants started going in all over. Locals started lawsuits to stop them from being built.

Thousands of acres now in corn. Surplus sitting in dryers and farmers loosing their butts. AND price of alfalfa and hay skyrocketing to all time high prices from the few farmers that didn't jump on the ethanol band wagon demanding the high price because of lack of availability.

Citizens managed to shut down ethanol plants.
Opportunist corn farmers broke.
Thousands of horses go to slaughter because owners can't afford price of hay.

Yup it's hard to be a proud American these days. ๐Ÿ˜ž

And cold wet weather used many millions of gallons of propane for driers last season, while profiteers continued record propane/ng exports- running the pipelines in REVERSE. Hence monster propane shortages and crazy prices last winter.

It's all interconnected ๐Ÿ˜‰

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
fuel cost drives the price of everything. watched oil drop $2.bucks a barrel on thurs so gas goes up .30 cents at the pump. figure that out? there not going to loose. oil is in control of every price out there.

Ethanol boom several years ago.
All my farmer neighbors yanked out their alfalfa/hay fields and planted corn to get rich quick.

Ethanol plants started going in all over. Locals started lawsuits to stop them from being built.

Thousands of acres now in corn. Surplus sitting in dryers and farmers loosing their butts. AND price of alfalfa and hay skyrocketing to all time high prices from the few farmers that didn't jump on the ethanol band wagon demanding the high price because of lack of availability.

Citizens managed to shut down ethanol plants.
Opportunist corn farmers broke.
Thousands of horses go to slaughter because owners can't afford price of hay.

Yup it's hard to be a proud American these days. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Stopped by the store last night to pick up a gallon of milk so we could have some for breakfast this morning. The "off" brand was $5/gal. It kind of reminded me of growing up poor and my mom trying to sneak powdered milk by us. She would put it in a real milk carton thinking we wouldn't notice.

Hehehe...did that to my kiddos too. Difference is they nevah knew cause they were way too busy guzzling;. My mother tried powdered milk out on us a few time but err we wouldn't drink it and she found some other way to cut the budget: bean soup, anyone?:cool:

HGL
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Stopped by the store last night to pick up a gallon of milk so we could have some for breakfast this morning. The "off" brand was $5/gal. It kind of reminded me of growing up poor and my mom trying to sneak powdered milk by us. She would put it in a real milk carton thinking we wouldn't notice.

Worked for the major dairy producer in WA, OR, ID...the off brand is co-packed. Most of the milk is "pooled" meaning that the farms all sell into a local pool, if there is one around. Strangest part...Milk picked up from the farm on the 1st day of the month, on your table the second day of the month, the farmer doesn't know what the price of that milk is until the 15th of the following month due to the pooling prices....Amazing.

FYI: Out here in WA, all of costco's milk is Darigold just "re-branded". Safeway has their own plant, but buys their raw milk from Darigold. Smith Brothers use to have their own farms, now they buy raw milk from Darigold as well.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
There really is no such thing as a real off brand as they would like us to think! :B

There are only so many milk bottling plants in the US.

ALL milk goes to them and all they do is change the label from Bordon's to Thrifty Milk during the bottling run. One farm may supply the name brand as well as the 'off' brands. Heck all the tankers pull in and the bottling plant spits out 12 different labeled milk bottles!! :B
My Dad always bought house brand light bulbs. He always said that they were either GE, Westinghouse or Sylvania since they were the only people making light bulbs at that time.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

There really is no such thing as a real off brand as they would like us to think! :B

There are only so many milk bottling plants in the US.

ALL milk goes to them and all they do is change the label from Bordon's to Thrifty Milk during the bottling run. One farm may supply the name brand as well as the 'off' brands. Heck all the tankers pull in and the bottling plant spits out 12 different labeled milk bottles!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Can't be fuel. It hasn't changed much in 7 years.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
SWMO wrote:

You need to shop somewhere else...we can get a gallon of milk in the $3 price range...

I can't afford to drive to NC.:B
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

sofive0
Explorer
Explorer
Escargot wrote:
Higher fuel costs, and in the case of California, the drought is making produce prices rise.

I'd sure send you folks some of this water we here on the east coast have and continue to get if I could. For the last few years, we have had lots of rainfall. Summer, winter, etc. we've had it.
2018 Ram 3500 Carolina Customs Flatbed w/gooseneck hitch, 6.7ltr Cummins Diesel Engine
2013 Heartland Sundance 3400QB
Eaz-Lift 15" Gooseneck Adapter

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
It's way too simple. FEED. Hay, grass, grain, takes water and good growing conditions without extremes of heat, cold, wet, etc. Check the weather and look back three months and check what was predicted to happen. They are shipping feed from Idaho to California right now, with a one or two cut reduction in production this season. Like milk, pay the price, like beef, pay the price, they are both more expensive than other food basics, and are now reflecting that cost.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Cows eat corn. Corn is being redirected to make fuel. Companies who use this food for fuel are subsidized AND get tax breaks.

There is more net profit in using food for fuel than for food.

If you think those prices are bad, hold onto your butt about Nov-Dec as the weather turns very cold.

Oil and tobacco get subsidies.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the kid coming in need milk too, and you are buying it.
So big a world, so little time to see.