cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groceries for needy family

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
I have a co-worker who is in terrible need of assistance. She has told a few of us, in confidence, that she has $5 in her checking account and no food in her house. Another co-worker brought her a deer tenderloin and some ground deer, so she is taken care of for a minute. I want to go do a quick grocery shop for her, but I can't overdo it. Here is the list I've prepared, can you all think of anything else that I can buy in bulk that would get her family's belly full that has good shelf life and isn't too expensive?

10 lbs Potatoes
3 bags Cereal - I know they eat a lot of cereal
1 gal Milk
Hamburger Meat - Pick 5 for $19.99 at our local store
1 case Ramen Noodles
5 lbs Sugar
Tea bags
Eggs
Milk
Bread

What should I add?
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy
61 REPLIES 61

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful thing. A reminder to folks - most of you will have a local food pantry that provides to the hungry in your area. Or a thrift store that uses its proceeds to provide groceries to local families. This is a great time of year to gift $$ or food or thruft store items. $$ actually goes further as they have usually have connections to buy food at discount prices.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you very much only if more of the world would do this instead of thinking of therselves or killing and fighting over pitty things

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has really brightened my day, I expect for a lot of us. Thanks for what you did for your co-worker.

Not sure if anybody mentioned this as another avenue, but if there's a Salvation Army Corps in your area, they may be able to help her in the coming months if needed with food, utilities, and so on until things improve for her. (My late father was their National Commander until he retired in the early 80s, and I know they are good folks who use donated funds properly.)

rav
Explorer
Explorer
you are awesome - what a great gift it is to give to others who need help. like others have said talk to the local churches and some of their organizations such as the Knights of Columbus might do food baskets.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Francesca, their son does live with them. I think he's 16 or 17, but that's still too young to be having to wonder where your next meal is coming from.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
This was really excellent of you to do!!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Whew...grocery shopping is done. I called her as I pulled back in the parking lot at work, right next to her car, and told her I needed her to help me get some stuff out of my car. When she came out, I opened my trunk and told her that I would appreciate it if she would open her car and move everything from mine into hers. Her precious eyes lit up and she hugged my neck and we both had a good cry. Here's what all I got:

10lbs Hamburger
2 - 16 ct pkg American Cheese slices
3 lbs - dried Kidney Beans
3 lbs - dried Butterbeans
4 lbs - Rice
3 lbs - dried Blackeyed peas
5 lbs - Flour
3 lbs - Sugar
GIANT jar of Peanut Butter
20 ct Weiners
4 - 6 ct pkg Ramen Noodles
1 box Saltine Crackers
HUGE box Idaho Instant Potatoes
2 pouches of Sugar Cookie mix
2 boxes of Brownie mix
50 ct box of family size Tea bags
20 ct box of 1 QT Powdered Milk packages
2 Corn Muffin mixes
Medium size container of Crisco
Bag of Florida Oranges
2 pkgs Spaghetti Noodles
2 jars Spaghetti Sauce
18 ct Eggs
Large tub of Margarine
2 loafs White Sandwich bread
2 Large cans of Diced Tomatoes
3 HUGE bags of different cereals

All of that for just $130.00. I gave $50 of the money my SIL donated back to her. She said that she would use it to buy a gas card so that the lady can buy gas to get back and forth to work.

Thank you all sooooo much for helping me get this list together. I really am not much of a homemaker. My idea of cooking amounts to throwing a frozen casserole in the oven, and that's not any way to be pinching pennies.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

pamvanw
Explorer
Explorer
Ifyou buy the value pack of meat you may need to divide it up into one pound zipper bags so she can freeze it. Or just buy a box of cheap sandwich baggies.
Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit confused by some posters' references to children being in the household- are there?

Only O.P. reference thereto was per an overheard phone convo with the lady's son- no indication of age etc...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Leo...good idea. Actually printing out the recipe to make with ingredients in the hamper may help.

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
I would think up some easy meals and work backwards to get the grocery list. Baked ziti, tuna casserole, chicken and dumpling casserole, etc. Then build your ingredient list, along with staples. Milk, cereal, peanut butter, bread, etc.
wonderful thing you are doing.
Maybe bake a few treats every few days to send home to the kids. Easier for you to bake than having to worry if they've got the small amounts of various ingredients like baking soda, powder, flour, sugar, butter, chips, etc. Plus I find this good time to meditate and pray for the person I'm baking for.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
You've summed up the list pretty good. Also, some stores have loyalty cards that you maybe able to get a better deal or look for in store coupons.

Good for you and may God bless you for your kindness!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Did someone mention toiletries? Soap, feminine hygiene, etc.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Doxiemom. I will check out the specials too. That's always a good idea.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea Lou Lou. I will hit the baking aisle and pick up a few mixes with my new found money from my mom and SIL.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy