cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rice cooker meals??

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use a rice cooker for more than rice? What size and brand do you use? What are your favorite things, besides rice, to prepare in it?

I just recently began putting my 6 cup cheapie Black and Decker, through some paces, and think a cooker with more options might be easier.

I have been very surprised at how tasty the recipes coming out of this basic cooker have been? Terry R.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra
14 REPLIES 14

KatPalmertoyhau
Explorer
Explorer
Someone asked what an Insta Pot was-it is a new version pressure cooker. Some have features that enable you to brown meats in them. There are a few different versions and sizes. They have multiple settings and some you can set manually also. People seem to love them and I am thinking of getting one for home and rv use.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one for a dollar at a garage sale and only used it for rice. Sounds like I will be able to do a lot more with it. Thank you.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have not used my Aroma rice cooker for rice more than twice. I steam veggies and made stews with it most of the time. I have the small one that is very light and fits into the camper just fine.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours for other than rice. One of my favorites is to steam vegetables in it.

Ours has a wire rack for the bottom, and I put it in before I start. Then add water just to the bottom of the rack. I lay big slices of carrot on the bottom, and lay all the other veggies in on top of that.

The cooker will turn off when they're done. Top with salt and pepper, cream sauce, cheese sauce, or with butter.

Shoot, let your imagination run and think of something different and let us all know what you come up with.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Was wandering the 'net and found this recipe for a much loved dish from my childhood now made in a rice cooker:

http://www.freshnessgf.com/rice-cooker-congee/

The nice thing about congee is you can add any kind of leftover protein and vegetables you like.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
rubycreekted wrote:
Please educate a person who has never had a rice cooker but loves rice. How does it differ from a crockpot or slow cooker? Is it just hotter and quicker?

cmarq wrote:
X2 My wife uses ours to cook everything sauce brown meats, I could fill the page with her uses. We have 2 small and three large ones, one small and one large stay in the motorhome our crockpots haven't been used in ages.

What is an instant pot? I didn't know a rice cooker can brown meat.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite meal to cook in a rice cooker is potatoes and sausage.

cut up peeled potatoes(small cubes)
slice sausage in bite size circles
add bell peppers and onions (to taste)
dump in the rice cooker
add water to cover everything
season with seasoned salt
press button to cook.
enjoy

simple and good.

I have even added a can of corn to it.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
My son lives in Korea and his apartment (and I guess others) do not have ovens. Just stovetop and microwave.

He has made cheesecake, and regular cake in the rice cooker! I've seen pix and they look great.

Apparently, a versatile appliance. ๐Ÿ˜„

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
Interesting topic:).
Will be checking out this thread from time to time to see the value of a rice cooker as I've never owned one.

In many parts of the world especially in Asia Rice cookers are used to cook an incredible variety of foods. they can be very handy. But I have yet to find a propane powered one, therefore I find them of limited usefulness in my RV.

rubycreekted
Explorer
Explorer
Please educate a person who has never had a rice cooker but loves rice. How does it differ from a crockpot or slow cooker? Is it just hotter and quicker?

cmarq wrote:
X2 My wife uses ours to cook everything sauce brown meats, I could fill the page with her uses. We have 2 small and three large ones, one small and one large stay in the motorhome our crockpots haven't been used in ages.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic:).
Will be checking out this thread from time to time to see the value of a rice cooker as I've never owned one.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
This is my 2nd cheap-o Black/Decker and use it often for rice and steaming vegetables. Couldn't live without one, so when my first one quit, I got lucky and found a brand new one at a garage sale for $1.

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours for soup, browning meats, and cooking pasta. It also makes good oat meal. There are several rice cooker cookbooks on the internet. We use Rice Cooker Meals Fast Home Cooking for Busy People and The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook. Ours is a Zojirushi and purchased at a local Asian market. If we paid $20 I would be amazed. Not fancy will all the different zones and settings but works for us. Make sure you have a good rice paddle.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107