cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can Win 8.1 make a "Smart TV" dumb?

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible or just a coincidence? I went from using Windows Vista to Win 8.1 (8.1 was a clean install), the next day when I tried to use the "Smart" functions on my TV I get a msg: "Network interference has occurred please try again later."

I've rebooted everything on the network but to no avail. From my PC I can see the TV and I can run a continuous ping with no errors. When I try to re add the TV to my network (from the TV menu settings), it sees my router and is good to there but when it tries to go out to the internet it fails.

At some point in the 8.1 install it says to power on everything on your wireless network and then continue. All I thought about was my printer, the TV never occurred to me could this be my problem?
Not sure how to troubleshoot this...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Dozer
16 REPLIES 16

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use several of the smart features on my 60" Sony regularly. I was very disappointed to receive a notice on the TV that after this month I would not be able to render youtube videos on the tv. Sony's website puts the blame on YouTube for changing their API but I bought the TV from Sony and expected them to update firmware in cases like this. This TV was state of the art when I bought it 6 years ago - paid over $3K for it.

Other than having to deal with yet another remote, to me this is a strong case for dumb TV supplemented by a $100 external box (like Roku).

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
IMHO Smart TV's are a huge rip-off. Last year I bought the least expensive Samsung in the size I wanted (39"). It was ~$100 cheaper than the Smart TV's of the same size. With my Roku connected to it, it has more "smarts" than any of the smart ones would have had and the Roku is continuously being updated to new channels, etc. Smart TVs are a gimmick for the unsophisticated consumer IMO.

Another "yes" to this. Our "smart" Sony could not stream anything without a lot of buffering. Even a direct ethernet line did not help. The Roku has eliminated the buffering and has so many additional choices.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
IMHO Smart TV's are a huge rip-off. Last year I bought the least expensive Samsung in the size I wanted (39"). It was ~$100 cheaper than the Smart TV's of the same size. With my Roku connected to it, it has more "smarts" than any of the smart ones would have had and the Roku is continuously being updated to new channels, etc. Smart TVs are a gimmick for the unsophisticated consumer IMO.

I agree. I bought 2 Vizio Smart TVs but ended up connecting Rokus to them because the Rokus do everything the built-in "smart" functions do but do it better with more capabilities/channels. I doubt I would ever purchase another Smart TV.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
My Samsung Smart TV stopped being able to access the internet a few weeks ago. Like yours it also said it was accessing the router. I tried rebooting the TV by unplugging it for a few minutes but that didn't work. I ended up calling Samsung and the guy had me update the TV firmware. That worked and no problems since.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
shakyjay wrote:
By chance is it a Samsung TV? I have read several threads regarding them having this or a similar problem.

Yes it is a Samsung. FYI I removed the wireless adapter and ran a Ethernet cable directly to my router...no help.
Checked my router and found no duplicate IP's or MAC's and it is set for DHCP.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frankly I think "SMART" Tv's are kind of not smart.. They chew up valuable bandwidth.. YOu will figure out how valuable when you get your Verizon Bill some day.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure your subnet mask is the same on the TV as it is on your router.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dozer wrote:
Thanks for the replies. The TV has an IP address, which I can ping with no problems.
Makes no difference whether the PC is on or off. I thought it might be a conflict between my wireless printer and the TV so I deleted the printer all together. No help.

It IS possible to ping a device with a duplicate IP address and yet the one device may not be able to access the network..

The router may have assigned the same address to your PC which may have caused your your TV to disable the network connection on the TV..

You may need to find out how to clear the network config info on the TV, turn off ALL devices on the network, reboot the router then turn TV on with no other devices on other than the router..

Once TV is on check to see if the error has cleared..

If cleared then turn on the PC with the TV on and see if no error happens..

You may want to go into the router and check to make sure it doesn't have any MAC addresses being blocked.. Since the TV MAC address may have been blocked by the router when a duplicate IP was detected..

This is assuming your TV is using a wired access, if you are using wireless then it could even be a problem with wireless security settings..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
strollin wrote:
To answer your question, it was a coincidence. Merely installing Win 8.1 should not have had any effect on your Smart TV and it's ability to access it's "Smart" functions.

Hmm.. I thought the "Smart" functions of a "smart" TV is the additional capability to access "streaming" Internet programs and movies from Amazon and other pay streaming sources..

If I read the OP correctly, when they are TRYING to access the streaming features they are getting a Network interference message.

Seems to me that would conclude that there IS some possibility that Win8.1 may have managed to grab a duplicate IP address from the router that the TV is using.

The router may be HOLDING the IP address of the PC and not releasing it.

Typically in most cases the workstations involved would pop up a message on the desktop of a duplicate IP in use.. When that happens ONE of the PCs IS DISABLED and cannot access any network resources.

A smart TV is nothing more than a "Linux" appliance hung on the network.. As such the messages it gives may not be as straight forward as say a Windows PC..

Network Interference message is most likely being caused by another device on the network having the same IP address (causing "Interference").. The problem is finding it and solving the conflict..

OP may need to open a command prompt (DOS box)on the PC and run IPconfig to see if it has the same IP as the TV..

Under IPconfig the OP can use "ipconfig /release" to release all IP connection info..

Then run "ipconfig /renew" to renew the PC adapter ip info..

To get all command switches you simply type ipconfig /?

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
By chance is it a Samsung TV? I have read several threads regarding them having this or a similar problem.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Theory has it that each device has a differnt MAC (Media Access something) number,, It is possible (not very but possible) that the computer and TV have the same MAC

Theory is the ROUTER will assign an I/P Address which is UNIQUE to each device.. Sometimes it does not.. OR if you have "Hard Wired and I/P address it may assign that address when the hard assigned is turned off (Why I always assign OUTSIDE the DHCP range of my router)

Finally the new computer will.. of course.. download UPDATES.. These can suck major bandwidth and overload your connection so the TV can not find the bandwidth to work with.. This.. self selves after a short time. How short depnds on the size of your data pipe (Bandwidth)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question, it was a coincidence. Merely installing Win 8.1 should not have had any effect on your Smart TV and it's ability to access it's "Smart" functions.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The TV has an IP address, which I can ping with no problems.
Makes no difference whether the PC is on or off. I thought it might be a conflict between my wireless printer and the TV so I deleted the printer all together. No help.