cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin BaseCamp

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I down loaded the Garmin BaseCamp in hopes of creating some routes and then being able to load those on my GPS. Now it looks like I need to purchase more maps from Garmin. The map that came with BaseCamp is really lacking on roads. Only major roads are there. Did I miss something?
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff
8 REPLIES 8

Explorer
Explorer
When I downloaded a new map update for my Garmin it automatically went into Basecamp on my computer. There is a place on the Basecamp screen that shows which map is currently being used and it also lists previous maps that were downloaded by the computer to the Garmin, which can also be selected for use for routing.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
When you create your route in BM, ensure that at every turn you plan on taking, you double click the route in order to make a way-point. What this does is when the GPS goes to navigate the route, it typically ask shortest or fastest route. Having these extra waypoints, ensure that the GPS can't alter the route you want to use. once you have the route created, save it a a GPX file, ie. here-to-there.gpx Once you connect your gps to your computer, it should be visible in My Computer and seen like another storage drive. Navigate on the Garmin folder and expand until you find the folder marked GPX. Simple paste a copy of the original gpx file into that folder. You then need to add that route upon starting up the GPS per user manual..

On a side note, I still use the discontinued program of mapsource, I find that it is much better at build routes...
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
I was going to recommend maps from IBYCUS but I just checked his website and they're no longer free. He's gotten out of updating his maps in 2008 but they were available as freeware until recently.
Camped in every state

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I see how to download the map updates to the computer.
Unfortunately I am a Hughes Net (satellite) user. So my system is too slow to do a map update. I'll need to wait until I can get to a faster system to load the map update on the computer. Thanks for the help.
Jeff

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the other thing to check, is the RV760 compatible with Basecamp? If you had it connected by USB, and had Basecamp open, it should have downloaded the map, and pestered you about trips (if you have trip recording turned on.)

I have a handheld Garmin as well, that I bought topographic maps for. They only show up in basecamp when I zoom way way in (less than 2mi scale IIRC)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I did have issues updating the maps due to memory size. I have updated my maps and had the unit RV760 connected to my computer. I'll try updating maps to my GPS and computer.
Jeff

rware
Explorer
Explorer
Have you connected your GPS yet?

BaseCamp should automatically import the maps from your device.

Do you have Lifetime map upgrades for your device? If so you can also upgrade BaseCamp using your lifetime upgrade. When you download your maps select the option to download to your computer and device.
Martin

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
I down loaded the Garmin BaseCamp in hopes of creating some routes and then being able to load those on my GPS. Now it looks like I need to purchase more maps from Garmin. The map that came with BaseCamp is really lacking on roads. Only major roads are there. Did I miss something?

You probably don't need to buy anything. If you have a portable Garmin navigator, you can plug it into your computer, and Basecamp will copy the map from it. You can also download something called Garmin Express, which will check for updates for your navigator. If you have a free lifetime map subscription (commonly most do), you can download a new 2014 map, and you'll have the option to download a copy for BaseCamp as well.

One caveat is the updated maps are usually too big to fit into the memory of the navigator, so you need to purchase a cheap microSD card to stick into the navigator giving it more room. Usually a 2-4GB card is enough, should cost $10 or less.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed