cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 7 Desktop

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions for purchasing a desktop that has Windows Home or Professional 7? I was able to find a new laptop with 7 but so far have not found anywhere to get a desktop with 7 in it. It is my understanding that Windows 8 or 8.1 won't run a lot of the programs from XP. Open for suggestions and Thanks ahead of time.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member
16 REPLIES 16

Explorer
Explorer
There is a computer chain called MicroCenter and they sell computers with Win 7 if you want it. They make decent desktops and they have retail stores and are online for sales also. You may do better with them than with Dell.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
byronlj wrote:
I bought a re-manufactured Dell from Walmart for my garage. They take old pc's upgrade them with a new processer and memory. Mine came with windows 7 and is amazingly fast. I think it cost a little more than $150.00.
Dave

I doubt that Walmart is doing the "refurb".

Walmart most likely is BUYING Dell factory "refurbs" and I would doubt that Dell is upgrading processor or memory from the original configuration.. Dell nor any other manufacturer gets "free" parts that they can afford to put faster processors in or more memory. Most likely those PCs came WITH those processors and memory and were off LEASES which went back to Dell, Dell then "refreshes" the OS and then runs a burn in test.

Just buyer be aware, when manufacturers refurb a PC they only change out THE NEEDED part(s) to make it work again. This may be a hard drive, power supply, DVD drive or even a power LED AND the replacement parts themselves may be refurbs (think, refurbed HDs), if no parts are found to be bad they simply reload the OS according to the LICENSE which was originally attached to the PC.

Keep in mind, Dell for sure DOES keep a record of EACH PC they have ever built via the "service tag" (AKA Serial number) so they know WHO the PC was originally configured for and what the configuration was.

They do not replace everything in that box, nor do they upgrade the OS (XP to Win7 or ๐Ÿ˜Ž if they did load a newer OS they WILL have to pay extra for the new license and in the end the consumer would pay a higher price for that refurb..

So, what you are getting is a USED PC which may have had one part replaced and they give you a very short warranty.. your mileage may vary on how long that PC will live..

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a re-manufactured Dell from Walmart for my garage. They take old pc's upgrade them with a new processer and memory. Mine came with windows 7 and is amazingly fast. I think it cost a little more than $150.00.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a Dell, your best choices are on the Small Business site:
7 Pro Desktops
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
Staples often advertises a Dell desktop with Win 7; I think around $499.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Dandy Dan wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for purchasing a desktop that has Windows Home or Professional 7? I was able to find a new laptop with 7 but so far have not found anywhere to get a desktop with 7 in it. It is my understanding that Windows 8 or 8.1 won't run a lot of the programs from XP. Open for suggestions and Thanks ahead of time.

If you are concerned about XP compatibility then make darned sure you order Win7 PROFESSIONAL. Only the Professional offers a free downloadable Virtual XP from MS website. In a nutshell you get XP which runs as a "virtual machine" on top of Windows 7 desktop so if you can not get your program to work with Win7 you can download and install XP.

The above statement is a good tip. When we updated to 8.1 the only program (1) and hardware (1 printer) that was not compatible with 8.1 was also not compatible with 7.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Costco still has some HP desktops with Windows 7. So does the HP website.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
muelldawg wrote:
"Craighs List"

:R

That is the NEXT TO LAST place (Ebay IS the last place) to buy a PC with a LEGIT MS license..

There is too many folks peddling PCs with pirated copies of Windows :E :M and often you will not discover that fact until you paid the person and hook it up at home :S . Then you have no recourse other than to purchase a legit MS license key and activate the OS..

Buyer beware.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought one this week at Costco. They had a big stack of HP's, and another of Dells. The Dell had a better processor (I-5, 12gig memory, 1TB HD), so I chose that one. I noticed mine was built Feb 27, 2014. All have Win 7 Home Premium.
Today in there I noticed the Dells were gone, but the HP's were still there. $450 if I recall.
So keep an eye at Costco. Evidently these are selling like crazy, and they plan to continue to bring them in.

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
"Craighs List"
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I use Windows 8.1, with the addition of "Classic Start".

It works like SP and W7 with the old Start button and is more virus secure.

W8 would help you get a less expensive desktop if that is what you want.

You even get a free antivirus program called Windows Defender (same name as previous malware program but now a full blown anti-virus program).

But, you have to remove all sample AV software from the new computer before WD becomes useable.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dandy Dan wrote:

Go directly to Dell or HP websites, you have to bypass the Retail stores if you want Win7. You may need to purchase the business models of PCs not the Retail versions to get Win7.

Retail stores only buy the latest consumer equipment which will feature the newest OS.

If you are concerned about XP compatibility then make darned sure you order Win7 PROFESSIONAL. Only the Professional offers a free downloadable Virtual XP from MS website. In a nutshell you get XP which runs as a "virtual machine" on top of Windows 7 desktop so if you can not get your program to work with Win7 you can download and install XP.

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
Is it important that you get a desktop computer with Win 7? Laptops in today's environment may work out better if you are traveling and you want to keep in touch.

I upgraded my desktop from XP to Win 7 and my laptop also. I take the laptop with me on all our trips from a weekender to a multi-week cross country.

At home, both computers are linked and I can use one to process files from the other. Only the laptop has a printer connected, so the desktop uses it as a network printer. Win 7 has worked very well in this environment.
Ed & Michele :C

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Try Amazon...lots of choices...Click Here
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro