Garmin RV 770 LMT-S

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Introducing the RV 770 LMT-S Navigator

received an e-mail today

Introducing the RV 770 LMT-S Navigator

do out in 2 to 4 weeks...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570074?utm_source=Americas&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=en-US%20Delivery%2C%20RV%20770LMTS%20Announcement%2C%20MCJT2049

sorry, do not know how to make a clicky

2 months ago I purchased the Truck version.. OK.
25 REPLIES 25

Garystevens
Explorer
Explorer
I agree,that Google App is very good Application.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a little research. Speer Blvd crosses over I-25 at mm211. It is an arched bridge and has less then 13ft clearance southbound on one of the shoulders. It is 4 lanes there so vehicles with high clearance should get into the middle two lanes.

If you use Google Maps you can zoom in and see the signs on the bridge.

So I don't think your GPS was lying to you.

jday1952
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot find any option to change the female voice to a male voice. The only language options I can find is to change languages, not voices. When I connect Garmin Express and choose the Store and click on Vehicles & Voices I only get a popup that says, "Feature Not Available. Vehicles & Voices is no longe available. You can keep any custom vehicles and voices you have installed on your device, but you won't be able to use Express to install new ones or remove them."

Does anyone know where I could get different voices (i.e., a male voice) for the RV 770 and then how to install them? Thanks.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, there is an overpass on I-25 in the Denver area that has less clearance for I-25 traffic passing under it then the norm. I seem to remember DOT signs informing tall rigs to move into the center lanes prior to going under it.

Maybe a local can clarify as it's been several years since I took that route.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
It'll do that if there's a low clearance in very close proximity to your route.
-jbh-

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have a question for all of you 770 experts. Why did mine route me off of I-25 in downtown Denver for a low clearance when Interstates are suppose to be much higher? It was set for 13'.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ThomBoles wrote:
There is one problem with Waze. It will not avoid low overhead clearance areas.

I've got a 770 and my thought was I needed way more things before taking off on our trip than the GPS so I waited to buy it until the week before we left. Didn't bother to learn to use it (IT's a GPS how hard can it be???) Well, I couldn't get it to navigate where I wanted to go (Well, my wife couldn't) so I said turn it off and I used Waze. About 3/4 mile from entrance on the road that the campground is on is a low overhead train bridge. Yea, I saw the sign AFTER I turned onto the road. Made a long day just a bit longer.

I still use Waze side by side with the GPS and sometimes follow it before the Garmin but I will still use both for times when I'm in an area that's questionable or off the major highways.

And that scenario is the whole point of having a dedicated RV/truck GPS
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
There is one problem with Waze. It will not avoid low overhead clearance areas.

I've got a 770 and my thought was I needed way more things before taking off on our trip than the GPS so I waited to buy it until the week before we left. Didn't bother to learn to use it (IT's a GPS how hard can it be???) Well, I couldn't get it to navigate where I wanted to go (Well, my wife couldn't) so I said turn it off and I used Waze. About 3/4 mile from entrance on the road that the campground is on is a low overhead train bridge. Yea, I saw the sign AFTER I turned onto the road. Made a long day just a bit longer.

I still use Waze side by side with the GPS and sometimes follow it before the Garmin but I will still use both for times when I'm in an area that's questionable or off the major highways.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The point being that you should not buy any Garmin when Google Maps and WAZE will get you their faster and more accurately. Every Garmin (every GPS) is out-of-date on the release date and will always be 1-2 years behind what's really happening out there due to the delay between updates.

We had a new city by-pass open last week. Waze had it changed on the map within 2 days..Simple awesome.
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

jday1952
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
jday, try changing the voice to correct the directions. I know it sounds silly but our friend changed from the female voice to the male voice and the directions were all screwed up, left being right, right being left. Going back to the female voice corrected the error.

You're right that it sounds silly, but it is worth a try. We have currently been using the default female voice, so I'll change it to the male voice on our next trip.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
jday, try changing the voice to correct the directions. I know it sounds silly but our friend changed from the female voice to the male voice and the directions were all screwed up, left being right, right being left. Going back to the female voice corrected the error.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy with the newer dezl 770 "truck" gps.. much better then most. my opinion.

I have used it on (2) 1,800 mile trips with trailer.. no errors so far.
I added the RV POI ..

I also use a Garmin 2597LMT.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
RV in front of any number (760,660,770) equals big $ for Garmin. As mentioned many times you can't rely on the routing anyway.
I compared the RV-760 to a LMT-2797. The 760 gave bizarre routes and dead wrong turns in RV or car mode. The 2797 gave better routing and most other useful features at 1/2 the price. I would never trust a GPS to tell me where I could go and the routes based on inputting weight and length.
If you are operating a big heavy long rig you need to know where you are going before you start. No GPS is accurate enough to trust 100%. The Garmin disclaimer tells you that.

jday1952
Explorer
Explorer
John Jasper wrote:
Has anyone yet tried the RV 770 LMT-S?
I'm interested in it as a replacement for Street Atlas. I like the idea that the 770 is compatible with BaseCamp, so I can lay out the day's driving in detail on a laptop and then download to the 770. A plus is that there is a Mac version of BaseCamp, so I wouldn't have to mess with Parallels and Windows any more. Of course, if it doesn't work well, then buying it is a no-go.

I'm a long-time Garmin user and have always been impressed with the different units. Prior to buying the RV 770 LMT-S I had used a nevi 3590LM as. Although the 3590 still worked great I was impressed with the list of RV specific aspects of the RV 770 and also liked the larger screen size. Let me say right off that the RV 770 has been a huge disappointment. I'm sure it's all software related, but that's part of the overall product. The RV-770 consistently directs us the wrong way. By this I mean the voice guidance is not the same as the route shown on the map on the device. For example, if you look at the map you can see the colored route line might be correctly showing a right turn, but the voice guidance says "turn left". Since I rely on the voice guidance when driving alone, I can't catch these mistakes sometimes until it's too late. One time the incorrect direction of turn on the voice guidance actually tried to turn me the wrong way on a one-way street. Another big issue with me is active lane guidance. Going through large cities with several lanes and interchanges it is important to me to know well ahead of time which lane(s) I need to be in because as we all know changing lanes quickly in heavy traffic is not always possible in a larger motorhome, especially towing a car. The RV-770 is very late in both the voice guidance for these changes as well as the pictorial of the lanes.

If you're thinking that this is normal, I can tell you that on our latest trip (2400 miles roundtrip) I also setup my old 3590 and the software in it did NOT make the same errors as the RV-770 and ALWAYS displayed the lanes I needed to be in way far in advance of when the RV-770 did. Lastly, we had several instances of the RV-770 simply routing us incorrectly. Again, the nuvi3590 worked flawlessly.

There is no excuse for these things. If the software in a 4-5 year old device can be accurate, why can't Garmin do the same thing with their supposedly newer, top-of-line RV GPS. If Garmin can correct all these software/navigation errors, I still believe this could be a great device, but until that time, I will continue to also use the nuvi3590 and pay attention to it more than the RV-770.