3. How about Rest stops

4. Rv Parks
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
21 REPLIES 21

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both POI Factory and Discovery Owners have a lot of POI files that are RV related. There are some dated files there that do list diesel stations. One that I've loaded on my Garmin is the North American Campgound list. It contains almost 22,000 National, State, County/City and private campgrounds in both the US and Canada. And if you're into a little off-roading you can check out GPS File Depot.

The file formats are different for various GPS units. For instance, Garmin and TomTom swap the Lat and Long in their CVS format files. But with a little work and knowledge it's a pretty simple matter to convert almost any file format into one acceptable to the GPS you like and use. Garmin makes it a bit easier with their free POI Loader app, but that's just my opinion.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. Looked all over the Portland, OR area and couldn't find an RV760 so I bought the RV660LMT at Cabelas. Even got 25 bucks off with getting their VISA card. Like it so far, too bad I have to go on line for a manual. Tomorrow we will continue our new to us full timing life style and see how it works on the road.

Also go to poi factory and learn to load custom poi's very handy
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
received my Garmin 770LMT/HD (Truck). yesterday.

this morning I downloaded the New maps and software... 2017.30 and 4.6.
download speed is much faster then lower units.

using with BC-30 backup camera is better then the 5 inch Garmin.

11 days to depart for Texas.. will update after arrival down there.

I was able to move everything from my 2597 (addresses and trips) to the 770 in like 15 seconds.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm very happy with the Garmin Nuvi 2539 I got to replace the Nuvi 465T, which was an "RV/Truck" GPS. I didn't like the 465 at all, it would not allow you to plan a route that would go on non-truck roads. If you planned out a route that went over "No Trucks Allowed" roads, it would do a complete reroute. I ended up leaving it on the "Auto" option because of that. Which kind of negates the advantage of an "RV/Truck" GPS.

I use the POI Factory to load POI's that I'm interested in and that works very well. I love the split screen and it's easy to see, even in the sun it isn't too bad. I've added a 16 gig SD card so lots of room for map updates. It will hold up to 100 routes so I can advance plan a route to my heart's content.

It's not perfect, but it is one of the best around so far. IMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a month on the road I'm totally satisfied with my RV660, really great that I can switch it from the RV size to the Toad size. It far exceeds the factory junker GPS from Honda that couldn't find it's way out of a paper bag. We've been to South Dakota, hit all the tourist spots and it even tells you of curves and steep hills ahead. Loving the speed limit warnings.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Totally impressed with the RV660 so far. Love the voice command which keeps my eyes on the road. I did use the rv park wifi for the latest up date and it took about 7 hours due to slow connection, but atleast it is now updated. Hitting the road tomorrow to see how the update works.

Thank You for the update...

I am hopping Santa is reading .. as I would like a RV760 or RV660 for that day.

even a good used one ๐Ÿ™‚

but I still like my 2597.. just no RV stuff on it.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally impressed with the RV660 so far. Love the voice command which keeps my eyes on the road. I did use the rv park wifi for the latest up date and it took about 7 hours due to slow connection, but atleast it is now updated. Hitting the road tomorrow to see how the update works.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. Looked all over the Portland, OR area and couldn't find an RV760 so I bought the RV660LMT at Cabelas. Even got 25 bucks off with getting their VISA card. Like it so far, too bad I have to go on line for a manual. Tomorrow we will continue our new to us full timing life style and see how it works on the road.

I have had my Garmin 2597LMT for 3 years.. good unit.
yes manual is on Garmin website. saving paper.

FYI, the map update is 5gb, twice a year...
I go to my public library, with permission I download new map there .. Free. go in when they open.. so Wifi is faster.
with my laptop it takes about 1 hour. so I read a book, or several RV magazines.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Rino is a good hiking GPS with communications but too small a screen, will not tell you what lane to be in, if there is a low bridge on and on and cost is $$$ more than a RV GPS.

LEN

voyaginator
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
1. Best GPS for RVs

I plan to get the new Garmin GPS, the Gramin Rino 755T , available third quarter.
The 750 is available Sept.7, less expensive but less features.

The 755T will have GPS/GLONASS compatible with 5-Watt FRS/GMRS two-way radio and weather tracking system with built-in NOAA radio.
8 MP camera, built-in LED flash/torch
4 AA-battery pack for up to 18 hours.
So, yes it is expensive, but considering that it is a GPS, communication radio, weather emergency radio, flashlight and camera.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
best gps
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
We just bought the 760 instead of the 660 after reading some reviews about the 660 overheating and shutting down due to its metal case

I read reviews that said that too but after I got my 660. I've not had my 660 shut down or act non-normal which included a trip stopping in and through the desert this past summer.

good to know. I'll pass that on to friends who are looking too.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
We just bought the 760 instead of the 660 after reading some reviews about the 660 overheating and shutting down due to its metal case

I read reviews that said that too but after I got my 660. I've not had my 660 shut down or act non-normal which included a trip stopping in and through the desert this past summer.
I love me some land yachting