cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to transfer data from one laptop to another...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 10+ year old computer that has served me quite well and is still working.

I bought a new one recently and am getting used to it (Windows 10, other program UI's, etc)

What is he best way to transfer data from the old one to the new? I know I could drop stuff to a thumb drive and physically move it over. I do not use any cloud based services so that is out.

I do not believe that I can connect the USB from one computer to a USB of the other (can I?) ...but this is essentially what I want to do, but not sure how each others' "C" drive would be recognized. I guess I would like to have some sort of direct wired connection between the two in order to transfer.

I do have a 4T external hard drive, but that is, for all intents and purposes, is just a larger thumb drive in terms of transfer method. I am not some IT wizard in terms of technology and if it going to be big production or if there is a chance of screwing up the new one I will eventually take the time to archive to the external drive and then piece-meal the restoration to the new one as needed.

The new one is quite a performance improvement over the old! I especially like the solid state hard drive, Xenon and 64GHz ram along with all the other goodies. Only regret is not dropping a little more jack to step up the video card again. I intend to use it fro AutoCAD, REVIT, Sketch-up and Lumion.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
56 REPLIES 56

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RayJayco wrote:
If both have ethernet port, just get a $5 crossover cable.

Or a usb drive or network them. Many ways...
(PS I didn't read the whole thread, just answered the question...)
Obviously. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
If both have ethernet port, just get a $5 crossover cable.

Or a usb drive or network them. Many ways...
(PS I didn't read the whole thread, just answered the question...)
Inquiring minds want to know...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
AsheGuy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

I backed up all the files to an external hard drive. Only thing is this last time it put it in zip files don't know why? I sure as heck hope I can open those and get them onto the new computer.
Zip files are just a compression technique. In Windows 10 right clicking on a zip file will list an option to unpack it in the resulting menu.
X2

But why not make a second non zip copy to another external drive?

Just saying zips and hard drives can fail.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I backed up all the files to an external hard drive. Only thing is this last time it put it in zip files don't know why? I sure as heck hope I can open those and get them onto the new computer.
Zip files are just a compression technique. In Windows 10 right clicking on a zip file will list an option to unpack it in the resulting menu.
- Our Blog -

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips.

Looks like if you are using Chrome it's easy peasy to transfer saved passwords.

I'm using firefox on a real old version of Vista.

Can't complain, this ole Toshiba has done me well for 'many' years. It's just getting ready to give up and give me that blue screen again and I'm scared I won't be able to get around it like I have in the past few weeks. This ole Toshiba is the longest lasting laptop I have ever had.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally windows sharing involves permissions and passwords. The procedures have changed including recent W10 changes. The first challenge becomes finding accurate and complete information for your OS versions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
If you're connected to the same router and both of them are Windows 10, it should be a piece of cake to do.

It's certainly doable but far from a piece of cake. Microsoft seems to keep making it more difficult in Windows to simply share folders/files with other computers on your own network.
- Our Blog -

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Sorry if this seems like a hijack but I think it's the same topic. I would like to transfer all my pictures and documents to another computer but my only USB port is dead. Someone mentioned networking them together and doing a drop and drag. We are both Win 10, is that a pretty simple procedure? We already connect to the same router at home.

Not a hijack at all... I am glad you asked!
I have both my old and new computers connected wirelessly to the same router and I would like to know more about this method as well, so let those who know chime in more about this.

My router is new as well, it was purchased about a week before I got the new machine so it should be relatively competent to do the task if this method is a valid data transfer option.

fj12ryder wrote:
If you're connected to the same router and both of them are Windows 10, it should be a piece of cake to do.

What if the new computer is Windows 10 and the old one is Vista.... can it still be done this way?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry if this seems like a hijack but I think it's the same topic. I would like to transfer all my pictures and documents to another computer but my only USB port is dead. Someone mentioned networking them together and doing a drop and drag. We are both Win 10, is that a pretty simple procedure? We already connect to the same router at home.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you, nice to know I haven't completely lost everything. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Too long since I've done anything with this and have my definitions confused. I'm mistakenly referring to a crossover cable as a twisted pair. My mistake, I was referring to a crossover cable when connecting two computers.

You werenโ€™t wrong. The terminology is just a little confusing. Straight through twisted pair connects an endpoint to a network device, like a computer to a router. Crossover twisted pair connects two endpoints, like a point to point between two computers.

I donโ€™t know enough about Windows to rule out some proprietary protocol that plays by completely different rules.
Larry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Too long since I've done anything with this and have my definitions confused. I'm mistakenly referring to a crossover cable as a twisted pair. My mistake, I was referring to a crossover cable when connecting two computers.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
Why finesse it with hardware when you can club it to death with software?

LapLink

Folks- chime in more about this. The website looks as if this is a program that I buy and download which mitigates exactly the format of one PC to another, essentially a snapshot of old to new. This is interesting. I need to read more into the features, but can the data be dropped to an external hard drive instead of an actual computer?

I do not want to do a direct replacement as I have stuff already going on the new computer.

FJ - I haven't used LapLink for years, so I'm not familiar how it works now. It was originally created to transfer files between IBM PC computers via a null modem serial cable. Drives A&B on the source machine became drives C&D on the target.

Strangely enough, the software lab I was working at invented this as a means to copy files from 5-1/4 inch floppies to the 3-1/2 inch floppies in the clone we were building in 1983. Back then, no one was producing software on 3-1/2. When that company folded (because no one was putting software on 3-1/2), one of the engineers took the code and started LapLink.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox