cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

internet providers

herefishy
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything like a Verizon Jetpack available out there from other providers? I am going to a place that has only AT&T service. Can you get Hughesnet on a temporary basis? Anything that I am missing?
'09 2500HD Duramax/Allison
'11 Bighorn 3055
15 REPLIES 15

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
I'm working at St. Mary's Montana (the east gate of Glacier National Park) and AT&T DOES NOT WORK. Verizon does. I have Millenicom and a Net 10 phone that works on Verizon towers and I have been very pleased!
Interesting information, however the OP was asking about a place where AT&T works so they wanted a solution for AT&T. Our home on Nantucket has the same issue, we have to pay for a Comcast phone line because our summer tenants have Verizon and can't use it.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I'm working at St. Mary's Montana (the east gate of Glacier National Park) and AT&T DOES NOT WORK. Verizon does. I have Millenicom and a Net 10 phone that works on Verizon towers and I have been very pleased!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
We use my AT&T cell phone as a hot spot amplified by a Wilson Sleek. It works well and if I ever have to answer my phone, I use my Bluetooth. This all uses a lot of power so I have to make sure the phone is plugged in.
I haven't had the need for an amplifier, but I use a blue tooth headset and my unlimited minutes to attend a couple of hours of meetings a day while also using the phone as a hot spot. In general it is much faster and more reliable than the wifi available in marinas. Since I'm tied to my computer anyway I just leave the phone plugged in all day.

Dave

greende
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
magicbus wrote:
AT&T has a cell hotspot. When I was just in the store I mentioned I use my phone hotspot for 8 hours a day when traveling and they tried to sell me their $20/month hotspot. I asked why it was better than my phone but they couldn't tell me.

Dave

They couldn't tell you because they did not want to say it is better because it puts another $20 a month in the company's pocket. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We use my AT&T cell phone as a hot spot amplified by a Wilson Sleek. It works well and if I ever have to answer my phone, I use my Bluetooth. This all uses a lot of power so I have to make sure the phone is plugged in.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
AT&T has a cell hotspot. When I was just in the store I mentioned I use my phone hotspot for 8 hours a day when traveling and they tried to sell me their $20/month hotspot. I asked why it was better than my phone but they couldn't tell me.

Dave

They couldn't tell you because they did not want to say it is better because it puts another $20 a month in the company's pocket. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Explorer
Explorer
Most of the major providers sell a hotspot and plan including the prepaid providers.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
To OP:

YES, AT&T offers a Hotspot which is there equivalent to the Verizon MIFI.

Hughsnet is expensive and slow. Should be considered as a last resort, IMHO.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave

herefishy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the options
'09 2500HD Duramax/Allison
'11 Bighorn 3055

MrWizard
RLS7201 wrote:
vermilye wrote:
While a Verizon Hotspot will not work on the AT&T network (Different technology & 4G frequencies), if you want to stick with AT&T, they sell hotspot devices. You can get them (with contract) from AT&T or even Walmart.

Maybe not at 4G but my Verizon hot spot did roam at 3G on AT&T while in Death Valley.

Richard

I DON'T THINK SO..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every provider has something like the Verizon Jet Pack, It is generically called a Mi-Fy hot spot (Someone actuslly uses that as a brand name) but I know Virgin Mobile (Spring network) has them, T-mobile has them, AT&T has them and Verizon calls 'em Jet Packs.

All are more or less physically identical and work the same way.. Just on different networks... Your Cell Phone Store can set you up with one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth...
We have the hot spot from Walt-Mart a straight talk internet so far it works well for us The unit was $80 came with 1 free gig at purchase. The prices for internet start at $15 for 1 gig, $25 for 2 gig and just go up. We only use it for banking and the occasional face book this site and once in a while to do a quick skype session when no phone service avail. We have AT&T the internet thing uses Verizon towers so coverage has been amazing.
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
While a Verizon Hotspot will not work on the AT&T network (Different technology & 4G frequencies), if you want to stick with AT&T, they sell hotspot devices. You can get them (with contract) from AT&T or even Walmart.

Maybe not at 4G but my Verizon hot spot did roam at 3G on AT&T while in Death Valley.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer