cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OTA antenna at home

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I hope the moderator will allow me to ask this here, because of the knowledge available.

We are planning to stay for a few months at an empty house owned by a relative, while we get it ready to sell for them. We might just get a month to month cable plan, or use our DISH Tailgater. But let's say we don't.

It's in a Chicago suburb, probably 30 miles or less from the TV towers. I know from experience that in the RV this would be a piece of cake. How well could I do at this house with some kind of portable OTA antenna? Specific recommendations appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
19 REPLIES 19

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Walmart and buy one of the new flat indoor antennas that is marked for a range of 40 miles or higher. You will need the appropriate input for the TV you have. You should be able to get great HD reception.

Walmarts in my area sell the above-mentioned Mohu leaf.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
When we cut the cord ten years ago, I initially used an amplified Radio Shack indoor antenna. It was so-so. Then I found a firm here in NC who made antennas for military applications had added a subsidiary to manufacture TV antennas: Mohu products

I switched to a Mohu Leaf just laying atop a bookcase and the difference was very noticeable. A couple of years later they came out with the Mohu Sky which I mounted in the attic. It was even better. I've been very pleased with my Mohu products. And they are actually designed and manufactured in the USA.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My BATWING RV antenna will pickup the two greater Washington DC NATL BROADCAST CLEAR TV channel groups in perfect style. This is some 50-miles PLUS North of us here in Northern Neck Virginia.

I have experimented with this same setup mounted up a PVC POLE just clearing the eve of the house on the north side and it performs even better. I have also played with the KING antenna and get same results. I do however like the BATWING over the KING antenna as I can tune in the two groups of the Washington DC HDTV transmitting antennas at the same time position setting which are located on the East and West side of town. The KINGS antenna requires re-positioning to get both groups of transmitters.

My best results was using one of those 8-BAY Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X VHF/UHF Outdoor TV Antenna (HDB8X) antennas from SOLID SIGNALS $69 which has a small separate panel position changes for the two 4-BOWTIE panels. This allows peaking up on both HDTV location in Washington DC some 15 degrees apart without losing any performance.

The even bigger thing is this is ALL FREE TO THE PUBLIC - FULL BLOWN HIGH DEF TV... We watch CBS channels almost all the time here - got to have my fill of all of my NCIS type shows...

All of these antennas I played with require 12VDC going up the RG Cable feed to power up a PRE-AMPLFIEIR mounted inside the BATWING WING and KING antenna and just below the 8-BAY antenna mounted on the antenna frame.

I am currently working a permanent location on my antenna pole that goes up above the North side of my house with several VHF/UHF antennas mounted on it. I have the perfect spot of about 48-inches below a horizontal bar and the peak of my roof. Once installed and both 4-bay panels properly pointed I won't have to touch this antenna again...

I was very impressed with the HDB8X 8-BAY BOW TIE panel antennas.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a OTA from Wally World this week. Picks up 33 channels here in the Louisville KY area.
Paid $98 for it, it's supposed to pick up channels within a 65 mile radius so we plan on taking it with us next week when we go on our next trip.

OTA
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should work OK. Personally I would string a coax from my dish, either a portable ground antenna or my roof top to the TV inside the house.