cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tracking a phone.... Following a loved ones location

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for an app that can track a cell phone. One person has an iphone, the other has an android.

Is there such a thing out there?
Wisconsin - the best place to be!
24 REPLIES 24

treeofliberty
Explorer
Explorer
We use Glympse, which is great for broadcasting a GPS track to any other device. We use it a lot, when we're connecting with friends in another town, and want them to have detailed ETA information. I also used to use it daily when I had an hour commute, to give the wife an ETA for planning dinner or getting rid of the other man. :^)
Tim

2013 F-350 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, Shortbed, Andersen Ultimate 2
2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS, 540 watts of solar, Magnum MS2812 inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2025 and SC-2030, weBoost 4G-M cell booster

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
life 360 app will let you track a phone location. phone owner needs to give permission to others on app.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a free one from our bank. I set up alerts about credit card usage after our card was hacked more than once. Turns out that it is also good at tracking Sweet Thing when she is out shopping. ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

JohnPF
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I like how some will start making out like the OP is the Boogie Man.
Verizon has one they call the "Family Locator" and Apple has an app for it.
We used it to keep track of our developementally disabled son when he was away.

I get the same responses while asking about tracking my developmentally disabled daughter. Why can't people just answer the question without all the suspicions.

I use a Spot beacon for travelling, hiking, mountain biking, etc. so my wife can keep track of me in case I don't show up when I'm supposed to. In my state the cell coverage is so spotty I'd never want to trust a cell signal if something happened to me. I've used it all around the world and it tracks flawlessly. The downside is that you do have to carry a separate device. But as a gadget guy I like it having its own power source so one usage can't drain the battery for another. I know I can be found even if I run my phone battery down taking pictures or something. I'm also in Search and Rescue so removing the search part is always on the top of my mind.

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I use Life360. It has a lot of functionality including emergency beacon mode, geo-fencing, medical facility locator, etc.

We have setup notification points that include the grocery stores near our home. It's nice to know when one of us is there, because we can text them to get ice cream or cookies. ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Life 360 will work with both Android and IPhone, but it constantly tracks and is power (battery)hungry.
magic43

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
When doing unsafe activities alone in remote locations, I activate google maps and start "share location" service. The selection of followers is limited to the text message distribution of the location link. Downside is that google maps has to remain running in the background for the service to work.

Edit: Works for either iOS or Android

MrWizard
The word 'Tracking' normally implies who or what is being followed doesn't know

This is a situation of 'Following' a loved one location, for piece of mind and safety considerations and they know about it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
for civilain use and finding family

the apps usually has to be on the 'person to be followed' phone
and they have given permission, the app uploads location info

followers then login to what ever website or app is required to see the location updates

some will send texts, or emails on a user set periodic time
to the people to be notified of the travelers location

X2
When I went full time my friends, god love'em, insisted they knew where I was in case something happened. The app was on my phone and they could go on line and know where I was 24 7's in real time.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
xfi ,like mentioned above, works great i track my wife's phone from my android phone.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:

followers then login to what ever website or app is required to see the location updates

Also handy for finding lost phones.

You will need a password to the phone owner's google account to do it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MrWizard

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
When we started traveling, our kids insisted that we have some sort of tracking app on our phones, because if we were out somewhere,, no one had any idea where we were. I have no problem with that, but it interesting how many people out there using cell phones do not realize that almost any electronic devise that has communication access can be tracked very easily. Just another thing that is not a pointed out feature.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
we use google maps to track locations. we have it on my MIL's and she has it on my DW's phone.