cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone began the conversion to 10? Problems, comments? Do you know if it loads on top of say, 7, or replaces all of the older version?

Thanks,

Jim
156 REPLIES 156

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Romer1 wrote:
Oldme wrote:
FYI...
Be aware that if you make an install disk or other media, W10 is no longer considered an update, being it would be a clean install. You then need to get the Product key from MS which will the $100.00+ depending on what product you downloaded.

There are several articles on the web that advocate doing this nut they wail to tell you this is no longer considered an update to W7/W8.

Any links? Haven't heard that before on several sites
I believe it was a Ed Bott post on ZDNet.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
FYI...
Be aware that if you make an install disk or other media, W10 is no longer considered an update, being it would be a clean install. You then need to get the Product key from MS which will the $100.00+ depending on what product you downloaded.

There are several articles on the web that advocate doing this nut they wail to tell you this is no longer considered an update to W7/W8.
Not true
I created a Win 10 install USB thumbdrive and during the install it prompts you to choose either an update or a clean install. If you choose update it installs Win 10 and leaves all your documents and software intact. A clean install will wipe out everything and then install Win 10.

I did have an issue trying to do a clean install. It didn't like my product key and would not activate. I ended up doing an update and then did a clean install after the update.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm sure your friend could start in safe mode and use VGA or replace the card (unless it's a really old machine) in which case the compatibility checker would have told her/him it wouldn't work.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim-Linda wrote:
Has anyone began the conversion to 10? Problems, comments? Do you know if it loads on top of say, 7, or replaces all of the older version?

Thanks,

Jim

A friend of mine tried to upgrade on Saturday. On Sunday he ordered a Mac.

The operating system won't recognize his video card, so he has no display and can't fix it because ...there's no display.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
FYI...

Any links? Haven't heard that before on several sites
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oldme wrote:
FYI...

My understanding is that only applies to a reformated disk. W10 gives you the option for a clean install after it's determined that you already have W7 or W8.1. And I've seen posts on where to get the product key if for some reason W10 wants it.

Bob

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
FYI...

that IS NEWS. I have read and skimmed MANY articles and never got that fact. i wondered where that product key is...
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
FYI...

Lincoln4
Explorer
Explorer
Tom & Jana fulltiming in the driveway. Hitting the road June 1.
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Looking for a new Toad...

My blog

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
For KeePass the password file is "Passwords.kdbx". If KeePass will run, once it's open go to File > Open > Open File. Or click the "Open" icon on the menu bar. You should then be able to open your password file.

I'm using what's called the "portable" version of KeePass Pro. This version does not require an install. You just unzip it to a directory of your choice and run it.

You can download the latest version here: http://keepass.info/download.html
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almost all professionals recommend a new install for major OS changes vs a upgrade. The basic reason is that a update tends to leave unnecessary files and and data for the new which are also sometimes harmful or wasteful. Just a FYI.

I'll be making a image backup before installing W10 so that I can revert if necessary.

I'll also wait 3-6 months before upgrading so appreciate all of your early efforts. :B

Bob

Lincoln4
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Keepass to store my strong passwords for a couple of years, with my back-up on dropbox. I installed Windows 10 (dual boot with 8.1) this weekend. Don't know if it's related, but now Keepass won't open my database because it's now saved as a kdbx.tmp file rather than just kdbx. Both on my computer and dropbox online. I could sure use all my passwords.

Any ideas how to remedy this?
Tom & Jana fulltiming in the driveway. Hitting the road June 1.
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Looking for a new Toad...

My blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
road-runner wrote:
joebedford wrote:
road-runner wrote:
All hotmail users were migrated to outlook.com.
No they weren't.
Dang Internet got it wrong again. Just look at all of these false articles:

Hotmail is officially toast, but Microsoft says Outlook.com is on fire
Hotmail RIP: Microsoft completes Outlook.com migration
So long, Hotmail: Remaining users migrated to Outlook.com
The great migration from Hotmail to Outlook.com is complete
Microsoft: Weโ€™ve migrated 300M Hotmail users to Outlook.com
What you want to know about Hotmail to Outlook.com automatic forced upgrade
Yup can't believe what you read on the internet.

I've been a Hotmail user for many years and I still am. I have no outlook.com account or access. Maybe I'm the only one.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
To all those who've helped me with some of my W10 issues, I surely thank all of you as I now have a favorites bar and, my "Home" button too. Yahoooooooo.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer