cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - DECISION MADE - THANK YOU

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We have identical Dell Inspiron 3147 laptops running Windows 8.1. We have been happy with them. DH upgraded to Windows 10 today and everything is different now but functioning just fine. I'm sure there will be a learning curve to using Windows 10.

Question - What happens if I don't upgrade to Windows 10 in the short term? In the Long Term? Everything works fine with Windows 8.1 and I really don't want the hassle of having to learn new stuff. What will I be missing out on if I stay with 8.1?

Edit to add: I have decided not to upgrade my current laptop to Windows 10. I am comfortable that I will be able to use 8.1 for as long as I will want to keep this laptop. I will upgrade operating systems when I purchase the next laptop. Thank you to everyone who replied.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
13 REPLIES 13

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Original Poster here: I have decided not to upgrade my current laptop to Windows 10. I am comfortable that I will be able to use 8.1 for as long as I will want to keep this laptop. I will upgrade operating systems when I purchase the next laptop. Thank you to everyone who replied.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
in the short term. It nags nags nags you

In the long term: Microsoft illegally terminates support for the older operating system several years before they can legally do so (Based on history) and they CHARGE you for the update

Today you can update for free.. Tomorrow. who knows.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
This topic has been beaten to death.
You have till the 29th to make up your mind.
Either keep up with the times or step asside.
With all OS it's not where it is but where it's going.
You can't built tomorrow's wonders with yesterday's tools

a bit less moosehead and a bit more empathic concern for another's interest is my advice.

i do not know the specifics to answer the OP's concerns. we have two 8.1 laptops, and not being power users, see no need for 10 w/ its several controversial idiosyncrasies.

microsoft is legally committed to maintain 8.1 for another 5 yrs, or so, which is the probable lifespan of a current PC
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
It cost me $100 to fix what Microsoft did to my computer in the middle of the nite while I was asleep. Yea they tried to load win 10 on my lap top that has 8.1 on it so no thank you Bill Gates
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I moved to 10 because it seemed to me that MS would like everyone on a single OS. Limiting OS's, they only have to fight maleware, hackers, vulnarbility, etc. on one platform. It makes economic sense for them. I also started seeing that with each update (which was primarily targeted for 10) I was finding more small issues crop up on my OS. I finally went with the old saying "if you can't beat them, join them. I'm happy with the change. As for privacy....you're on the internet, how private do you expect? The gov. knows everything I do anyways so why worry what MS knows, if I'm not doing anything wrong. I look at it as the price I pay for the convenience of a free internet.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
You actually have as long as you want to make up your mind, the only downside is you'll have to pay $99 more for an OS upgrade you don't need. Win 8.1 does everything that win10 does--in fact slightly more--although win10 is certainly more polished. It will be many years before you'll find a program built for win10 that won't run on win 8.1.

The hairbrained boosterism to upgrade to win10 does nobody any good, and stupid slogans regarding "tomorrow's wonders" or "keeping up with the times" only serve enrich Microsoft at the expense of actual functionality.

Nobody here has been able to tell the OP what she's missing by not upgrading to win10, and the reason is that the OP will only be missing out on enforced privacy violations as the win10 EULA makes clear.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has been beaten to death.
You have till the 29th to make up your mind.
Either keep up with the times or step asside.
With all OS it's not where it is but where it's going.
You can't built tomorrow's wonders with yesterday's tools

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
Suggest you move to Windows 10 right away. You will find very little difference between Win 8.1 and 10. You will be happy you moved on to Win 10. In closing do not be resistant to change when it comes to such technology. Keep up with things like this or be lost in the dust so to speak. Those that stick with Win 7, 8, 8.1 will regret they did so in the future.

I appreciate the time you took to reply to my original post. Please give me more details as to WHY I will be happy if I upgrade to Windows 10. I am looking at two laptops side by side, one with 8.1 and the other with 10 and I can see no increase in functionality or speed. I am not resistant to new technology; rather I am resistant to change simply for the sake of change itself.

I need more concrete information - what does 10 do that 8.1 doesn't? How is it working in the background that I can't see? Is Microsoft going to stop supporting 8.1 with updates? If so, when? Etc. Details please.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you move to Windows 10 right away. You will find very little difference between Win 8.1 and 10. You will be happy you moved on to Win 10. In closing do not be resistant to change when it comes to such technology. Keep up with things like this or be lost in the dust so to speak. Those that stick with Win 7, 8, 8.1 will regret they did so in the future.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What exactly would be gained/accomplished by going to 10 over 8.1??

I really liked XP........but not being a heavy computer user (e-mail, search, this forum, mapping/directions) and having XP for so many years I really didn't like 8.1 when we had to buy a new laptop this year.

So what does 10 do that is so worthwhile?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
StartIsBack or Classic Shell will make Win 10 look like previous versions and very little learning curve is needed.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using 8.1 there will be a very small learning curve to get used to 10. You can make 10 like 7 or 8 with add-ons. I went from 7 to 10 and find 10 to be much faster. Go to kim komando's web site to see how to keep some of your privacy in 10. I tried it for a month on my laptop before putting it on my main computer. Get it now while it's free. You have a month to revert back if you don't like it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
First. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now for what I heard. The free upgrade ends I think around the end of this month, so if you are going to do it now is the time. I read that Windows 8.1 had issues and it was worth upgrading, but Window 7 and 8 were good. I personally, don't like what I see in 10. I don't like the lay-out and invasion of more privacy. If you do upgrade, be sure you back-up everything. There also is an out, that is supposed to work so one can go back to the old version you had.

Good luck, what ever you decide. I am sticking with W-7.