Before pulling out...

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I read this tip somewhere and it really works. You need:
A suitable sized Ziploc bag.
A package of spring loaded cloths pins.
A felt tip marker.

Its easy to forget to do something or unhook something before leaving a CG. Especially if you stop to talk. Make a list of everything you need to do before pulling out. Examples: "Unhook and stow the electric cord", "Roll up and store the water hose", "Retract the jacks". Then write a short reminder of each item on a clothes pin. "Jacks", "Power", "Water", "Slinky", etc.
When setting up, fold the sun visor down. Then take the appropriate cloths pin and attach it to the sun visor as you complete each step. Reverse the process before leaving. What you haven't done yet is right in your face as soon as you get behind the wheel.
I've seen posts on here of people driving away with something still connected. That can be very expensive or at least messy.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.
36 REPLIES 36

bqcooker
Explorer
Explorer
As an aircraft mechanic for over 20 years, I've gotten used to doing many a walk around w/ the crew. I always look in a circle where ever I walk, I touch all doors and latches to ensure they ar enclosed, I point my finger at stuff I can't touch (running light check), and at the hitch, I touch everything in a clockwise pattern to ensure all is connected and nothing is hanging down.

The funny thing is, I remember my dad doing the same thing when we were camping 30 yrs ago....guess the apple doesn't fall far....

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
At least for me there is more to do on the inside which the wife takes care of with a checklist. If anyone comes over while I am setting up or departing I tell them that I am going through my routine now and if I stop to talk you will screw me all up. So far everyone has understood and left. When I leave I do a walk around as well.

NO DISTRACTIONS is the key. Get distracted, and before you know it you are lifting the tounge jack before putting up the rear stabilizers....they bend, trust me.

little story...

We were people watching one Sunday morning as everyone was packing to go home. Two sites down...."HONEY", "yes DEAR" was what we heard all morning. He outside doing his thing, her inside with more "HONEY", then anyone wants to hear on a Sunday morning.

Watched him make that finally walk-around, then start to pull out (stop giggling--- Ependydad).

Pulled the hitch right out of the receiver, trailer sat down on the chains. Thank godness it didn't stick in there long enough for him to get down the road.

I watched him re-check the hitch, chains, electrical hook-up. I guess he never thought to ensure he put the pin in the hitch.

Leave me alone when I am hooking up. No I do not need your help----I will go back over anything you think you did, on my own anyway.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a SportsMobile with a penthouse (pop-up) top, which once we moved without lowering, a few feet, before the horror set in. There also has been an occasion with our previous van that we forgot to unplug from the shore power before leaving the campsite. For those two reasons I had this made to help remind us.

Plan on having this embroidered on a T-shirt, with sleeves to make it even more official.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use a checklist when leaving the CG, but I probably should since the mind is going. :@

I do the final walk around on the outside like many have mentioned, but I also do a final walk through on the inside also.

I also try to help out my fellow campers as they are leaving the CG looking at their tv antennas, doors/hatches, tail lights, etc.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
LOL. I think the reminder thingies are good, but none of it will matter if you just "zone out" while doing your walk around. Hahaha. We did that one time years ago. . . but had been fulltiming for a few years, RVing for over 30. We were all hooked up and ready to go. Power cord is always the last thing because we sometimes need the extra boost to get the jacks up. . . don't ask me why, they just worked better that way. So we each did our walk around and when we got to the pedestal, BOTH of us stepped over the hooked up power cord, went in the door and powered up. Pulled out dragging the power cord. . . people waving, we waved back. Finally somebody motioned to us and I looked in the mirror, and there was our "tail." Red faces for sure. First and only time that happened.

We use "mental" checklists, but anything that would help you is good in my book.

Dale

Never happened! 😮 :E
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
LOL. I think the reminder thingies are good, but none of it will matter if you just "zone out" while doing your walk around. Hahaha. We did that one time years ago. . . but had been fulltiming for a few years, RVing for over 30. We were all hooked up and ready to go. Power cord is always the last thing because we sometimes need the extra boost to get the jacks up. . . don't ask me why, they just worked better that way. So we each did our walk around and when we got to the pedestal, BOTH of us stepped over the hooked up power cord, went in the door and powered up. Pulled out dragging the power cord. . . people waving, we waved back. Finally somebody motioned to us and I looked in the mirror, and there was our "tail." Red faces for sure. First and only time that happened.

We use "mental" checklists, but anything that would help you is good in my book.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
At least for me there is more to do on the inside which the wife takes care of with a checklist. If anyone comes over while I am setting up or departing I tell them that I am going through my routine now and if I stop to talk you will screw me all up. So far everyone has understood and left. When I leave I do a walk around as well.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I always try to make sure that she is happy!!

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:
I keep a typed checklist in a plastic sleeve to protect it. We just review it together before moving and we're good to go. Whatever works for you.

Oh hell no... Too simple & straight forward !

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Organized by inside, front, left side, back, right side. Wife reads it off and I do the task/visual check.

We have a notebook that keeps our itinerary, reservation confirmations, addresses for GPS, things to do, etc. Checklist resides in there.

hokeypokey wrote:
I keep a typed checklist in a plastic sleeve to protect it. We just review it together before moving and we're good to go. Whatever works for you.

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
when we finally purchased our class c I had already done quite a bit of reading and found a site that offered a print out "check-list."

I printed that and for the first several trips added some things while removing others that did not pertain to our situation.

I now have what I feel is a decent list including "clothes." second outing we forgot our clothes!

I now have a three ring binder that I have several copies of the list and have added a top section with where we stayed, dates, mileage, thoughts on GC etc.

we both do a walk around before we leave the house and then when we leave the GC
I get the book out and go over our list.

nice to have the details and a few thoughts on each of our trips.

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
I read this tip somewhere and it really works. You need:
A suitable sized Ziploc bag.
A package of spring loaded cloths pins.
A felt tip marker.

Its easy to forget to do something or unhook something before leaving a CG. Especially if you stop to talk. Make a list of everything you need to do before pulling out. Examples: "Unhook and stow the electric cord", "Roll up and store the water hose", "Retract the jacks". Then write a short reminder of each item on a clothes pin. "Jacks", "Power", "Water", "Slinky", etc.
When setting up, fold the sun visor down. Then take the appropriate cloths pin and attach it to the sun visor as you complete each step. Reverse the process before leaving. What you haven't done yet is right in your face as soon as you get behind the wheel.
I've seen posts on here of people driving away with something still connected. That can be very expensive or at least messy.

So everytime i complete a task I have to go to the truck and hang a close pin?:h..I'd be drunk before I was set up:B

No, its just a way before you drive off, to review those items and remember if you did them or not. IMHO

I've seen people driving down the road with their antenna still up.
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
captnjack wrote:
I agree with the last three posts. It's not that difficult. When you think you're done do it again or have someone else take a lap.

If you can't get through a series of walk arounds without getting everything right, you probably can't keep the clothespins or steering wheel tabs squared away either. Or you'll lose your checklist.

For those who have anal tendencies, the clothespins, RVMinders, and checklists are more about easing the anxiety than anything else. There's a satisfaction you get from unclipping, unstrapping, or checking. 🙂
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)