Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking Etiquette

Scooper31
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
We're just getting started with a new ClassB+ RV and have had one nagging question that we can't seen to easily find an answer for in the ethosphere....When boondocking in a Federal Park etc what is the accepted way to "hold" your parking spot when you travel into town or away sightseeing for the day? Should we bring along some foldable sawhorses, maybe leave a couple of cheap camp chairs set up? We intend to use our Class B as general transportation and don't intend to tow a second vehicle. Thanks and Happy New Year to all!!! Jim & Kellie
41 REPLIES 41

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
Carrying a cheap tent and setting that up is one of the best ideas I have ever heard!

I know, I know...I'm sheltered. ??

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
And now for our ongoing lesson about boondocking vs dry camping. :B

Mello Mike did it best Long Long Ago

Great callback. I miss Mike. He was the moderator for the Toy Hauler forum when we first created it. He tapped me to take over when he left.

Creating that forum was a good move. It sequestered all of us toy hauler owners into one safe place and got us out of the general population.

it was probably Mike's definition that educated me about the differences, when i was a newbie here 15 years ago.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dedmiston
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:

Great callback. I miss Mike. He was the moderator for the Toy Hauler forum when we first created it. He tapped me to take over when he left.

Creating that forum was a good move. It sequestered all of us toy hauler owners into one safe place and got us out of the general population.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog,

If by pompous and/or self-righteous you mean those that refuse to think of lot-docking and black-topping as boondocking instead of dry camping, then you could well be correct. People have gotten away from the old fashion thinking of "words have meanings" if favor of "any word means what I want it to and if you don't understand it's your fault".

Recently someone asked me if there was anyplace to boondock near where we live and I told him there was not. He said he was surprised that there were no Walmart or other. To which I replied that there were plenty of places they could over-night-park for free, but those sure were not boondocks.

If someone has a different definition, he is welcome to it but he should have no expectation of his private meaning being universally understood.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking at NPS/USFS campgrounds (ie campgrounds with numbered sites for a few $ per night but usually no hookups of any type), then the tag you put on the post and the number of nights you paid for is typically sufficient. If you want to save folks from looking at the tag, or don't want to have to pack up, then leave your camp chairs out.

If you are talking about dispersed camping on USFS/BLM land (ie pulling off onto a spur and setting up camp with no numbered sites, no fee etc) then 'reserving' a camp site is not really good etiquette. If you leave the campsite, then it is really fair game for anyone, and you can find another when you are done. Particularly in popular areas there is an increasing trend of folks 'reserving' dispersed campsite for the weekend or a holiday by coming up during the week and dropping their trailer, or setting up a tent, then coming back on the weekend/holiday (sometimes many days later or with trailers, weeks later).

It could be argued that it is a little different if you are just heading out for the day, but someone else to come a long doesn't know that, and may end up setting up camp closer than you would like. If you are in a remote area, then it shouldn't matter - just come back to the camp site later, and if occupied find another.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What I've learned is there's alot of self righteous, pompous boon dockers if the general population is like some of the members here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I have 2 18 inch tall safety cones I use quite a bit for things. Had a short campsite a few times where I will put them at the tongue to keep people and vehicles from running into it. They are not terribly expensive and are highly visible. You can use them for a flat tire to put out so approaching traffic can see them. I keep them in a compartment easily accessible. Pick up a couple because it's better than losing your good stuff like ladders or chairs.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP is referring to "dispersed dry camping in designated sites" which is common on USDA Forest Service and BLM lands which require you to use existing dispersed sites, vs making your own in the middle of no where.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"There's no map to follow,..."

There's always a map!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of people seem to think boondocking is sleeping in the parking lot of a restaurant or camping at Quartzite.

If you need to mark your campsite you cannot possibly be boondocking in the traditional sense. You might be camping without hookups. It might not have designated campsites, but it is not boondocking. It is something else.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
Well I guess I donโ€™t know what the difference is either. Can someone please explain?

My definition of true boondocking is going out to the middle of nowhere and camping. There's no map to follow, there's no sign indicating where to go and there is no one else for miles. There's no established campground, no hookups of any type, no paved roads and also no neighbors other than wild animals. I do not consider dispersed camping on BLM Land Boondocking as it is on the map. If you are boondocking, there wouldn't be a need to save your spot since there is no established spot, it's just a patch of ground in the middle of nowhere.

Dry Camping is camping in an established campground without hookups. Overnighting at Walmart or other parking lot/truck stop is Dry Camping. If there is an established site to save if you leave, then it isn't boondocking. Dry Camping just means you are providing your own water, electric and sewer. You can Dry Camp in a $200/night RV Resort or on Dispersed Camping site in a National Forest.

Others will probably disagree, but that's my definition.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
Well I guess I donโ€™t know what the difference is either. Can someone please explain?

Dry camping: camping without water hookup, typically this would mean camping without hookups of any type and might also mean there is no water in the area. There are plenty of dry campgrounds in National Parks and Forests. Some have no water at all.

Boondock camping: camping in the middle of nowhere. The NPS or BLM typically call this dispersed camping. There may be a parking area and sometimes even a fire ring but more typically there is nothing but an open area where camping is allowed.

Another common related term is Stealth Camping. This is staying overnight in an area without showing evidence that anyone is using the RV. This is may be in compliance with the laws and local ordinances but merely helps to avoid unwanted attention.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad