Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Follow up to names

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a namer?
What makes you want to name an inanimate object? If I were to refer to your named vehicle as a truck or a trailer would it upset you?
help me understand why?
24 REPLIES 24

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a lifetime creating creative names for registered cattle, eventually wound up referring to the dictionary in search of names and if it sounded feminine, that was what the next name would be. Also had to include the Farm name, the sire and the first letter was carried forward on the dictionary found name. (can be confusing if you have a Klara and a Clara) Other than that, no inanimate item has ever gotten a name other than it manufacturers name or number as in trucks and tractors.

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not always named things but it seems as of late I have done more of it.I had an 88 Blazer I called"The Blabezer" and a 98 Explorer we called "The Sploder".Currently my 03 Ford is"O'le Blue",the wifes Sonata is "The Limo" and my Vibe is "The Go cart". The GD calls my car "The Fancy Car",not really sure why but I think she likes the black/silver interior. As I get older I tend not to be so serious about things. I want to enjoy the rest of the ride,I certainly would not get upset if others didn't use my pet names or didn't name their things. I'm a live and let live kind of guy,God will sort it out in the end.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2023 Jayco 25RB

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people give names to inanimate objects. I did, but at the time I didn't know my son would become one during his teen years.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
LewBob wrote:
robsouth wrote:
Much ado about nothing. 'Tis merely a personal preference.

x2
X3 Different folks, different strokes. You don't need to understand why, as those who do this aren't on here asking you why you don't do it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
As a kid I called my sock monkey 'Monkey' and my teddy bear 'Bear'.
That's as close to naming I got.
We just called things what they were....no personalization of an object.

Heck Grandpa didn't even name the dog..it was just 'puppy'

Guess it has to do with background, upbringing and where you're from.

My DD had a stuffed manatee named "Manna" and a stuffed camel named "Donkey." :h No amount of telling her that it was a camel made any difference at all. She's 20 years old and she still sleeps with that darn Donkey.

OP, it doesn't make any difference whether you name your rig or not. Strictly personal preference. We call ours the Yickle House, because when we got our first rig our DD-then 6 (once again) named it that. It means "little house"--she couldn't pronounce her Ls. :S

That I like.......:B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

My DD had a stuffed manatee named "Manna" and a stuffed camel named "Donkey." :h No amount of telling her that it was a camel made any difference at all. She's 20 years old and she still sleeps with that darn Donkey.

OP, it doesn't make any difference whether you name your rig or not. Strictly personal preference. We call ours the Yickle House, because when we got our first rig our DD-then6 (once again) named it that. It means "little house"--she couldn't pronounce her Ls. :S
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Much ado about nothing. 'Tis merely a personal preference.

x2

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Why not? :h
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I guess the closest "relationship" I have ever had with a machine is my 8n. I bought it from a neighbor 30 years ago and that little tractor has worked it guts out for me. By the time I finished with it a sane person would have scrapped it. I have retired it with a lot of repair and fresh paint. The "Ford" does the real work now.

We had an 8N and a 9N and that was what they were called. Our other "Ford" tractors were called "the Big Ford or the Little Ford"
Those little grey ford tractors are still the handiest tractors if you can get your hands on one that still works.

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV is called " Home" and our truck is called "Bear". I'd appreciate it if all of you out there address them as such if you ever were to post me! ????
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
It's fun, that's all.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess the closest "relationship" I have ever had with a machine is my 8n. I bought it from a neighbor 30 years ago and that little tractor has worked it guts out for me. By the time I finished with it a sane person would have scrapped it. I have retired it with a lot of repair and fresh paint. The "Ford" does the real work now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
It is largely a matter of convenience. As I said in the first response to the original thread, but DW just reminded me of the continuous confusion over our Gravely tractors. I don't have names on them and it is a continual issue. I have to say the old 2-Wheel or the new 2-Wheel or the 12HP 4-Wheel or the 16HP 4-Wheel. Names would sure be easier.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.