cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get up and Go

Michael_T
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I purchased my new MH. It zips around just fine if I am in town or driving lower spends. It seems when I get out on the highway it does just fine until I encounter inclines. I notice the speed dropping regardless of how much diesel I give it At one point I could not go over 50. with it floorboarded. The coach has been winterized and is empty! No Water! No weight! Any ideas what this could be? I just bought it, and the test drive was fine (no inclines!) Help!
Michael in Granbury, TX
2011 Class A Thor Seranno 33A
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"
14 REPLIES 14

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
No need to feel foolish. You'll get used to it. If the sluggish performance annoys you too much Banks Engineering has some goodies that are really nice. The "Git Kit" really woke my 7.3 up. Not cheap, but I found it worth it. If you are handy with that kind of thing and maybe a friend that can help every now and then you can save a ton on installation

Michael_T
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure of the rpm. I was driving it for the first time (other than the tiny bit I drove with the salesman on his "route", which was my first time driving a MH. It was during the rush hour with HEAVY traffic through FT. worth. I had turned off on 377 headed for Granbury and the roads were busy even there. ( overcast and getting late) If I had it to do all over again I would sure do things differently. Live and Learn. My plan is to drive it back to Ft. worth Monday or Wednesday ....see how that goes and let them drive it. I was told I receicved a "Maintence" which saved me $800.00. I want to know exactly what that included. Fuel filter? All this been said, I am not the least bit discouraged.....feel a bit foolish, but still excited.
Michael in Granbury, TX
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Michael T wrote:
Last week I purchased my new MH. It zips around just fine if I am in town or driving lower spends. It seems when I get out on the highway it does just fine until I encounter inclines. I notice the speed dropping regardless of how much diesel I give it At one point I could not go over 50. with it floorboarded. The coach has been winterized and is empty! No Water! No weight! Any ideas what this could be? I just bought it, and the test drive was fine (no inclines!) Help!
To give a little perspective on this issue, I drive diesel powered vehicles every day. One is a 300+ hp 19,800# RV and the other is a 250hp 28,000# school bus. Both perform about as you say yours does. The both slow down on hills, get around town as needed etc. On hills I get a little head start by going a little faster before starting up and then just let the speed fall where it may. The both take over a quarter of a mile to get up to 55 mph on a reasonably flat road. Both can out accelerate semi's, dump trucks, delivery trucks and I deal with a lot of them locally. I really don't need anymore get up and go so to speak even when traveling around this great country. But, my needs are not every ones. Some need thier rv's to be spot car fast. happy Trails.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

mikes47
Explorer
Explorer
Similar thing happened to me with my new 2013 chassis Class B Sprinter. Also in the first week. I pulled over and turned off the engine then restarted and things worked fine. I took it to MB Service where they saw that an error code had been tripped. They performed a software upgrade for the Engine Control Unit under warranty.
Mike
RV = 2014 MB Sprinter 3500 long & tall from Advanced RV

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Michael a few details might be helpful. What rpm are you turning at 50?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not know much about diesels but it sounds like yours may not be big enough.

I was going to say about a year and 4 months ago.. My get Up and Go,,,,kind of got up and went..

So i went to Doctor and had it replaced.

(And no, I'm not joking.. but that's a subject for an already posted thread)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What % incline did you drop to 50 mph? If it is a 6 % incline or so it sounds like your MH is working like it should. If you post the HP and WT and the % incline, folks on here can give you better answers before you spend money on a diesel mechanic. Your MH is a lot heavier than your car and will not have the same performance as your car on these inclines.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 92 Suburban (gas engine) had similar symptoms. The fuel filter was the culprit. I would suspect it might be your problem also.

Michael_T
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you , everyone, for the guidance. I have been reading for several hours.....eyes crossed and brain sizzled. I am going to have to find a knowledgable diesel mechanic I can trust in my area. I contacted the dealership where I purchased it 9 days ago and they are saying they didn't drive it very much but had no issues. (no inclines).
Michael in Granbury, TX

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 sprinter with the 154hp and I can climb the mountains in arizona with NO PROBLEMS . I,ve even passed a few others.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Check your air filter.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the 154 HP engine? If it is, you can't expect much.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
And there are 3 View-Navion forums on Yahoo that are invaluable. Search for your problem on the tech forum and ask if you don't find the answer. I believe Moderators must approve posts from new members so it usually takes a while before you see your question posted.

General
Tech
Mods

Good luck,

Norman
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Explorer II
Explorer II
Your engine should be the Sprinter T1N.
Start HERE

Good Luck
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857