cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought my 1st RV today excited but nervous

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I bought my 1st RV today after years of dreaming about it I actually did it. But now I'm second guessing the decision on the RV I purchased. I bought from a dealer a Class A 2010 Winnebago Vista 26P. I love the floor plan and it is very clean. I pick it up in a week. I'm second guessing my decision because the miles are high 63k and the generator is at 900 hours. I put my deposit down today and am still deciding if I should pay the remaining balance in cash or credit. Any suggestions there would help me a bunch. I'm excited but a bit anxious at the same time. I'm excited to hit the road and finally travel a bit but am wondering with a generator with that many hours and a coach with that many miles even if it was meticulously maintained, am I looking at a money pit in a few thousand miles? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.
42 REPLIES 42

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the money to replace a $5000 engine or $3000 transmission? It's very unlikely that you would need either of those but the point is that you have to be SUSTAINABLE. You should have enough resources to carry you through any problems that might happen. You need to look at it as proportions if you ride off in that motorhome do you have the money for a $5,000 engine and a hotel for a couple weeks and a rental car while they're fixing it.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm trying to show you what reality is no matter who it is no matter what we are riding in you have to be sustainable and able to pay for anything that comes up or don't do it.

I don't want to pry into your financial life but if you want some direct answers tell us this.
How much was the motorhome?
How much cash money net worth will you have left in your pocket after you buy it?
How much income do you have per month?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The most important thing when buying an RV I do belie is
I love the floor plan
and you typed that!!!!

Congrats. I know the feeling,, It is a big step (In more ways than one) and thus it should make you nervious.. But it's also very exciting. Welcome to the club as they say. Enjoy.. If you have any issues do not be afraid to ask. Some of us normally skip this kind of thread (Myself for example) but live to answer questions.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
The first RV we put aa deposit on, a class C, gave us a sleepless night and great anxiety and buyers remorse. They gave us our deposit back even though we signed a contract. We had a 10 day law per the state I think. A few months later we ended up getting a truck and 5th wheel and this time we were happy and excited. If this purchase is causing you so much anxiety, walk away because it’s not worth it.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Explorer II
Explorer II
In my region that unit NADAs at $43K, MSRP new was $90K. The original owner most likely drove off the lot at ~$82K. It lost 50% value in 8 years.

63K miles w/900 hrs on the genny says it was being used for it's intended purpose. This would not concern me if everything is in functioning order. That's better than it sitting under a tree for the last 6 yrs.

The next part of your post is more of a Suze Orman question, can I afford it? Should I buy it? Nobody here can answer that question. This all depends on your assets, current and future income vs. outflow as well as stage of life and joy of ownership. It may be the start of the best years of your life. Are you willing to walk away from that?

You asked should you pay off the balance in cash or take on a loan. There is nothing wrong with responsible debt if your income stream can absorb it. If it can't, you will be burning off assets at a determined rate. Where does that put you? Have you factored in the operating cost of your new toy? It drinks gas, most campgrounds are not free, you will eventually need tires and other maintenance items.

Your last part is about getting your deposit returned. That is between you and your dealer.

Best wishes with whatever you do
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the money available to pay the balance in cash, you most likely have enough to handle any repairs on the RV. Yes, RVs have systems and appliances that break down, and engines that need repairing and maintenance, but so does everything you own.

For all the stories on here about fixing RVs, there are many more people that have no problems and enjoy their RVs all over the USA.

Definitely take a close look at your budget. If you can't afford the RV, then you can't afford it... it may cost you the deposit to have learned that lesson.

On the other hand, what about a Travel Trailer, or a Popup Camper? Less expensive, might be good to try that to start out.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Never give up on your dreams. If you did your research, and your join date on this forum suggests that you did, then go for it. Life is too short. Go on Youtube and listen to the John Prine song Safety Joe. Don't be Safety Joe.

Easy to say when it's not you paying for this rig. :R Here we have an OP who is saying they're "low income", which means not a lot of financial wiggle room available for dealing with inevitable unforeseen circumstances. As one who has been RVing for 20 yrs and has personally had to deal with unanticipated issues with the various rigs we've owned I'd agree completely with the previous suggestion that the OP cancel this deal, even if it means forfeiting a deposit. It will be far less costly in the long run than getting into something the OP obviously knows nothing about and therefore doesn't have the experience to understand just how expensive this sport can be.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never give up on your dreams. If you did your research, and your join date on this forum suggests that you did, then go for it. Life is too short. Go on Youtube and listen to the John Prine song Safety Joe. Don't be Safety Joe.
Puma 30RKSS

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you don't get your deposit back you'll be better off walking away from a purchase you aren't ready to make.

How much experience with camping do you have? Some folks make a purchase and then realize they don't really like RVing in the first place.

I recommend you try renting an RV to see how you like it. There are many different styles of RVs out there. It may be that a class A isn't the best fit for you.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm sorry to hear you're worried about it.
That's not overly high miles, if it's been well maintained.
Is there more to the story? Over payed, or found issues with it?
If there is a (any) real reason that this is going to be a bad deal for you, SE what you can do about Getting your deposit back. Presume it's not much, $500-1000?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I am going back to the dealership tomorrow. What are my chances of them giving me back my deposit and letting me out of my contract? Anyone have any advice. I'm not doing well, feeling so overwhelmed. It took actually making the purchase to realize I'm in way over my head. So overwhelmed. 😞

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I am really having buyers remorse right now. I put my deposit on it today and signed a contract. I am low income and feel I may have made a mistake. Is it too late? Or will they let me out of the contract.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
That mileage and generator use considered by themselves do not call for any concern at all. They are not excessive, but SoundGuy is right.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
summerbreeze wrote:
I'm excited to hit the road and finally travel a bit but am wondering with a generator with that many hours and a coach with that many miles even if it was meticulously maintained, am I looking at a money pit in a few thousand miles? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but any recreational vehicle, be it a MH, TT, 5th, whatever, is a potential money pit. :E Regardless of what you buy you can be guaranteed that the actual purchase price won't be the end of it, just the beginning. The reality is you need to be prepared to spend even more to keep whatever you buy operating - sometimes you're lucky and it won't be too bad but if not it can get really expensive really quickly. Reality is RVing is anything but cheap. 😞
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380