cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monitoring your home

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
We are new and plan on going to Florida for winter, How do you monitor your home when you are away? Especially the furnace, in case it goes out.
14 REPLIES 14

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
When away for two years I hired somebody from the local security company to check the house regularly. This in addition to the company monitoring the alarm systems full time.

I gave this person authorization to spend on my behalf for emergency repairs as needed.

I also hired somebody for property maintenance, he and the security guy were each aware of what the other was doing, and could coordinate to do minor things at a lower cost than calling out a $100/hour tradesmen to take care of a 10 minute job.

My brother also did this for his Michigan and Florida houses as he moved back and forth between the two seasonally. That is, when he didn't have relatives house sitting.

The technical monitoring is great, and you can "keep an eye" on almost everything, but if there is a problem you need to have some plan for taking care of it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too have the Honeywell WiFi T-stat and it is great. You can set it up for vacation mode so it goes to a predetermined setting. the only issue is you can`t adjust any settings when its set to that mode. the other nice thing is when it`s all set up it will send you an Email alert if it drops below (or above when on A/C) a set temp.

Actually I just turned mine on to warm up the house a bit this morn. from my chair with my I phone. Yes I`m being lazy, but it`s nice to be able to check and adjust when and where you want.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the feedback, I will follow up and do my research, You are all very helpful

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Our furnace failed last year. I just bought an Emerson Wifi thermostat. Like the Honeywell you can check and control the temp via a phone app. It will send an email alert if it goes into heat mode and can't bring the temp up after, I think, 5 minutes. Also ends an email alert if the temp drops below a set point.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Shaw wrote:
I've got the Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat. It allows me to check and set the thermostat via my iPhone. All I have to do is keep my Wi-Fi router going over the winter, and get the free app for my iPhone. There's no monthly charge for the app. If you'd like more security, and you have an old iPhone, there's an app where you can use the camera from your iPhone as a security camera via Wi-Fi. You can access it remotely from your phone.
x2
The honeywell allows you to set temp threshold both high and low, as well as a time setting for how long the temperature sits at the limit before delivering the alert email
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
You should think about turning off the water and winterizing your home so you do not have an issue if you lose the heat.

Yes, good advice. We do this.

Water intrusion sensors are in case of a flood or sewer backup.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
SimpliSafe

We have several temp & water sensors. I believe its $25/month for the monitoring and alerts, which we suspend it when we aren't in Fla.

X2

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
You should think about turning off the water and winterizing your home so you do not have an issue if you lose the heat.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat. It allows me to check and set the thermostat via my iPhone. All I have to do is keep my Wi-Fi router going over the winter, and get the free app for my iPhone. There's no monthly charge for the app. If you'd like more security, and you have an old iPhone, there's an app where you can use the camera from your iPhone as a security camera via Wi-Fi. You can access it remotely from your phone.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
SimpliSafe

We have several temp & water sensors. I believe its $25/month for the monitoring and alerts, which we suspend it when we aren't in Fla.

Same for us.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
We use a PhoneAlert system at our condo.

It will call if the furnace stops and the temperature goes below 45F and/or if the power goes off. It also has a water intrusion sensor.

It does require a landline phone.

Our house has a monitored security system. I've looked into SimpliSafe and am considering switching to that.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have several internet cameras one of which is capable of viewing the indoor thermometer. I like the idea of the freeze alarm as well. We also shut off the water and heater.
I've considered the internet t/stat but am concerned about being hacked. Before we changed closers our garage door would open on its own; possibly from a stray radio transmission!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
SimpliSafe

Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a freeze alarm that connects to the phone line. (No monthly fees). It will call us at 3 different phone numbers if the temp drops below 55 degrees. We have a lockbox on the inside door and can give the code to the heating guy if he needs to get in. There is also one with a red light that turns in (place in window for neighbor to see) if temp drops. We also shut off water and turn off Hot Water Heater and softener. Works great. No worries.