cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Negotiating a Purchase

NewTTcamper
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby and I are buying a new TT this year. If you factory order a TT, do you lose bargaining power? if so, does it make sense to buy what is on the lot and add options later?
17 REPLIES 17

APT
Explorer
Explorer
In the midwest where many RVs are manufactured, few people pay less then purchasing from the so called wholesale RV dealers where they sell more custom ordered/sold orders than RVs off the lots. Buying an RV from the midwest has higher transportation costs to the west coast, but there are a manufacturers there too.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

NewTTcamper
Explorer
Explorer
While my name implies a newbie, we are not new to RVing. We have a 1996 Lance which we factory ordered. Depreciation yes. However, that depreciation was well spent in the many years we spent raising our kids in the outdoors. I have looked for two years for a used model/make we want and can't find one. I'm willing to take that depreciation so my retirement years are well spent traveling with my hubby. We have dreamed for this adventure for many years and no amount of depreciation will take it from us. Cancer survivor. ??

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Uncle Grumpy wrote:
I just do not get newbies buying a new unit. You must have money to burn. No matter what a deal you get the deprecation will put you in the hole. Research and spend time looking for used. If you need spend a few $ with a mobile or dealer to inspect. There are a lot of good used out there that have the bugs already worked out. If you have to finance it is even a worse situation.
AMEN - I paid cash for mine. Girlfriend paid cash for her's.
Girlfriend purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15
We've got the best of both worlds.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
I just do not get newbies buying a new unit. You must have money to burn. No matter what a deal you get the deprecation will put you in the hole. Research and spend time looking for used. If you need spend a few $ with a mobile or dealer to inspect. There are a lot of good used out there that have the bugs already worked out. If you have to finance it is even a worse situation.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
NewTTcamper wrote:
One more thing, yes or no to thermo pane windows. I don't care about noise. I'm more interested in the insulation factor.

A big YES to dual pane windows - for noise, heat, cold and less condensations issues.

You're interested in a travel trailer and don't know if the new issue of 'Trailer Life' has the same article or not but I just finished a very good article in 'Motorhome' magazine on buying direct from the factory and it states there is a definite savings in doing so. You could look up the article online.

Ourselves, we bought a Newmar and were able to do much custom work to it. When it was all detailed by the Newmar factory we then sent our same specs/options to about 20 dealers throughout the country. As full-timers we didn't care where we bought it. The one that came in cheapest got our check and there was a big range of prices. Our motorhome was then ordered as a custom from the factory through the dealer at -30%. It was a very easy way to purchase with no haggeling.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do a search for the many problems with dual pain windows. IMHO a heavy drape is better and fool proof.
bumpy

NewTTcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for your replies. I've been reading this forum and always find it extremely helpful! Anyone have any info to share regarding Outdoors RV trailers? We have our sights on a Timber Ridge. From everything we have seen, it seems to be a well built TT. One more thing, yes or no to thermo pane windows. I don't care about noise. I'm more interested in the insulation factor. Thanks!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
You could also negociate some add on's. For my girlfriend, I negociated two MAXX-AIR vents to be installed in her used class C purchase.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tonymull wrote:
What makes sense is to buy used. Many thousands in savings. All the bugs will have been worked out. Most RV's get very little use and many used ones are like new.

and some previously discussed in this forum are lemons with an "issue" which is why the seller is dumping them.
bumpy

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
What makes sense is to buy used. Many thousands in savings. All the bugs will have been worked out. Most RV's get very little use and many used ones are like new.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Nope. I found a price for my Jayco on RVDirect.com. Took that price to my local dealer. They came within about $300 of RVDirect's price. The factory ordered my trailer with the options and color patterns that I wanted. I got about 36% off Jayco's listed MSRP.

That's what I did too. Got a price on the FR Windjammer we wanted from rvwholesalers.com and rvdirect.com and found a local dealer to match it. Dealer did not have to do anything other than handle the paperwork. We did the factory order too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
When we ordered our Endura we got huge discounting even though it was ordered from the factory. Start aggressively and then see how it goes.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take at least 30% off what ever the sticker is, the msrp is just numbers some body made up.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. I found a price for my Jayco on RVDirect.com. Took that price to my local dealer. They came within about $300 of RVDirect's price. The factory ordered my trailer with the options and color patterns that I wanted. I got about 36% off Jayco's listed MSRP.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS