Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RV world...am stressing out.

Godd002
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
My uncle purchased a class A motor home (1997 beaver) from a friend. My uncle then basically was taken to the hospital from there and didnt come out. So now I have inherited the RV that he had planned on us using. I have no idea how to drive, run, or turn on a RV.
My biggest issue is right now that it is in Florida and I am in Kansas. I know the unit has been sitting with a full tank of diesel and new batteries when needed for the past 4 years but hasnt been driven. i realize i need to get it somewhere to have all the oil and filters changed and an inspection, as well as tires most likely. it also has a leak in the sky light above the shower so i need that area repaired.
So the issue I am running into is that no place locally seems to be able to do all of these issues. some do the engine work, some only the cabin. I think there is a place about 45 miles away that could do it all in one stop.
so my question is, what is the likely hood of a bunch of algae in the fuel and causing problems if i try to drive 45 miles away? Or is it better to take it to a local place that is 10 miles away and get the oil and hopefully fuel taken care of and then go somewhere for the other issues. Since i live so far away i was hoping to fly in and take it somewhere and give them a few weeks and then go back. Any advise on what i should do?
thank you.
33 REPLIES 33

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow!! So many doom and gloom folks here. Sitting 4 years is not that big of a deal. Previous owner before your uncle was his friend. He may have put tires on it shortly before your uncle got it. Fuel should be fine. Is there any chance of getting in touch with him to ask a few questions or maybe have him check it out for you? Who would be better than a friend who also was the previous owner?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safe to assume that nothing like Bio Bor was added to the diesel before going into storage. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank it might be worthwhile to have it polished (filtered) & returned to the tank to be burned. Be sure to get & carry a couple extra fuel filters just in case. Know how to change them. Not a big deal.

I sure would not write it off over a few minor issues. With a little money & time you could have a whole new form of recreation dropped in your lap.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
More than likely the diesel fuel is fine and even if not driving 45 miles will not plug the fuel filters. Sounds like it's near Wildwood so get a firm repair date and on the day before have new engine batteries and air the tires up and drive the 45 miles slowly. If you know when the various fluids were changed there may be no need to change again just because it sat for four years.

Yes it's going to need new tires but they do not need to be Michelin or GY... Toyo or Hankook are good tires. My 98 Beaver was a very well made and trouble free MH... well worth putting $5-6K into even if it's just to get it to where you can sell it for $25K.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the RV right now? If it is at a campground, the campground management will know of people who can take a look at the camper and give you an assessment. Also, the campground may be willing to sell it for you on consignment if that is what you decide to do.

If it is not at a campground, but there is a campground nearby, the campground management may still be willing to help you out in getting someone / service to check out the camper.

Just from the "tone" of your initial post, I lean towards others here: You might just want to sell the RV as is.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Godd002 wrote:
I have no idea how to drive, run, or turn on a RV.

Are you sincerely interested in learning and have a desire to own, operate and maintain this unit? Do you have the required time and finances to invest in this endeavor? Would you feel comfortable travelling a thousand miles away from home in this unit knowing the expenses if/when things go wrong?

If you answered no to any of the above place a for sale sign on it, take what you can get, say thank you Uncle Bob and walk away. This isn't for everyone.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wrgrs50s wrote:
No one has mentioned the tires that most likely are dry rotted (very expensive)..

X2. RV tires usually age out before they wear out. Figure in the price of new tires when you calculate the costs to get the Beaver up and running.
Keep us updated on your progress.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For moving it, fuel quality and battery condition are the only real issues, and the starting battery or batteries are easily replaced if too far gone to be recharged. Fuel can be sampled and tested, or pumped out and replaced. The same fuel oil used to sit for years in tanks for home heating, but then again the oil burners were less fussy than diesel injectors.

All other issues are the same as for any 20 year old RV: is the value to you worth whatever it takes to get it into shape and keep it usable, to your expectations? I've known a number of people who have bought 20-30 year old motorhomes from estates for $250 to $2500 and got great use from them, as well as the enjoyment of restoring them. If you are not sure that you are into the RVing experience, or ready for a restoration project, consider selling it for whatever you can get. If you want to get into restoraton, consider spending $10,000 to $30,000 and a lot of time over the next 2-3 years, yet have some expectation of using the RV while you are working on it.

Guy across the street from me got a 35 year old Winnebago Brave for $250, it ran,nothing was working, enjoys his time working on it (diabled veteran on pension) and takes it to the lake every weekend hiswife is off work. A couple gals on my RV club got a 30 year old 32-ft Chieftain for $750, it needed about $1500 mechanical work (batteries, brakes, tires) but the house was sound and they do a couple of 3-4 day campouts per month in season, but don't drive much more than 100 miles.

So do you really want this thing, and how do you think you will use it? You might have to put something into it, but a new one would cost you at leadt $200,000, so there's a lot of room financially to make it usable. Only if you will use it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
You need to know that RV repair shops are not cheap. Around here it can be as much as 100.00 an hr. I could see at least a thousand just to get it some where and checked out and Im sure they would do an oil change and brake inspection and all the front end things and the rear end only to come upon a major issue like needing injectors or something! If it sat 4 years, have the rodents gotten to it and chewed the wiring? I think someone else mentioned money pit. If you have nothing invested in it I think I would just sell it for what ever you can get! Or just walk away from it!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry. Run away.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
I am in Florida and depending on where this RV is I would take a look at it before you fly down. I am not a certified RV mechanic by no means but own a 2001 Beaver DP and do all my own maintenance from oils, to transmission filters and fluids and about everything else. Or I would help you out getting it to a shop if needed. Not a scam ,just an rv'er who tries to help anyone that needs help....

This is an awesome gesture!!!

OP: You would be wise to take him up on this generous offer. Beaver is a very high quality motorhome. You just might have a 'gem' there! Good luck!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned the tires that most likely are dry rotted (very expensive). So many issues unknown I would definitely get someone to assess the situation before wasting money on a flight there. Unfortunately you may have a hopeless case on your hands that could cost you dearly to make it road worthy.

If on the other hand can be up and running at minimal costs then you still have to consider whether you want to use it or sell it.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lj2654 wrote:
I am in Florida and depending on where this RV is I would take a look at it before you fly down. I am not a certified RV mechanic by no means but own a 2001 Beaver DP and do all my own maintenance from oils, to transmission filters and fluids and about everything else. Or I would help you out getting it to a shop if needed. Not a scam ,just an rv'er who tries to help anyone that needs help....

This is awesome! Even if it isn't close to this guy, the OP would be wise to just pay him to go get it fired up and see what's up.
You know you'll get an honest assessment and possibly get it on the road. 4 years isn't the end of the world, unless 4 years was preceded by 4 more and the thing was parked under a Cypress tree in the swamp.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
So where in FL. is the MH?

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I'm sorry that you may not want to hear this, but I too think you should really think hard about whether you want to take this on.

We've got a 2016 motorhome and it is one chore to keep it in shape.

Have you owned an RV before?

If yes and you know what you're getting into, then I too would call some local KOAs and ask them to recommend a mobile RV tech.