Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie to RV-Life

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

My name is Alex and I have made the decision to purchase a camper to call my home as opposed to living in a sticks & bricks house. My decision stems from the fact that I both work full-time and go to college as a full-time student. I was faced with the idea of going in four different directions; I could find a house to rent and pay ungodly amounts of $$$ per month; I could try and buy a sticks & bricks house to live in in order to mortgage it at a low enough monthly to afford it; I could buy a mobile home and find a spot to park it and establish it as a home in the all-powerful eyes of the great state of Alabama; or, I could buy a camper.

My problem was made worse due to the fact that I, and my girlfriend, have two dogs (a Chihuahua and an American Pit-bull) and a cat. Finding a place that is both affordable that accepts pets is hard in the area that I need to be for school. Also, seeing as how I am in school to be a teacher, I am unsure if purchasing a home right now is the best decision because I might have to move.

And, when I say that I am a beginning Rv-er, I mean to say that I plan on parking either a travel trailer, or a fifth wheel, in an RV Park and living there for the next four years as my girlfriend and I chase a masters degree. I am looking for any kind of advice that I can get my hands on having to do with tips and tricks to living in a camper. I have found a location, and have begun shopping for campers, however, I really do not know the best route to go with this adventure, haha. Much obliged to any words of wisdom, lol.
33 REPLIES 33

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
... Get one of those phony service dog certificates for the pit and then they cannot refuse to rent to you.

Yeah, I know it's sleazy. They have the deck stacked against you. Even it up.

Please don't do that. And yes, it is sleazy.

Suggesting someone to do this is horrible. It's a lot more than sleazy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I agree 100% with you but SO MANY here don't. Sad really. They do love to give their opinions. And we know all about opinions.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't feel that it's my place to answer someones questions with my opinion of the situation they are asking about. While at this time in my life, I wouldn't consider the OP's living situation, but in my 20's while in college, I most likely would have if I had thought of it. The OP seems to have his head screwed on right and is asking good questions. Typically, this is the exact opposite of what then naysayers complain about - young people being rude and inconsiderate. I'll bet those last two words have been used thousands of times on this site - some by the very posters exhibiting that very behavior.

Hopefully the OP comes back to share his experiences and figures out how to use the block function.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
You will hear a LOT of negative responses to this plan as you have already noticed. I say go for whatever you want to do in life. If this is what you feel is best then do it. Only you can decide what works for you. Lots of people will say it's tight quarters and it can be, but definitely doable. Thousands upon thousands do it without killing each other.

I would also do whatever it took to keep my pets. Just the way it is. Good luck and come back here for ideas.

It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Lots of sky is falling people in this world and on this forum.

And thankyou Paisley and Coleman for actually answering the question without telling them they're crazy. Some people actually want to help and not discourage.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't leave either gray or black valves open - dump tanks when needed. You will get black flies sooner or later if you do.

Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors - schedule tests and have spare batteries.

With the exception of the factory furnace, don't use a heater with a combustible fuel for heat in the winter - no mater how many windows you leave open.

Checking for available park models is a great idea. But if not, look for a TT with at least one slide out for more room - makes a difference for long stays.

Upgrade the mattress - especially if used.

Run the water heater on electric only to conserve propane.

Check the tires on a used TT. Look at the date codes. Old tires are a great bargaining chip.

Keep the tires covered while parked.

Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Alex,

Our dogs were small, miniature schnauzers so they did not up that much room.

If it gets below freezing there,just get a hard hose and tape a heat tape to it and then cover it with foam pipe insulation. And if it gets really cold for extended times cover your dump valves with tinfoil then tape heat tape on them also. This will keep your water line operating and you will be able to dump your tanks.

Leave your black tank (toilet) closed, until full. You can leave your grey tank open (shower and sink water) all time.

Good luck, I hope this all works for you.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
... Get one of those phony service dog certificates for the pit and then they cannot refuse to rent to you.

Please don't do that. And yes, it is sleazy.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Alex,

My husband and I and our four year old daughter lived in a trailer (maybe thirty feet) for a year and a half while I finished college. We then stayed another six months in the trailer and added a baby to the family. We also had a dog.

Would I do it now-no way. But, we were young and needed to survive on $400.00 a month. It worked for us. We didn't see it as a big inconvenience. It was just what we could afford at the time.

Best wishes whatever you decide.
Kathy

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
If you were to commit to 4 years of RV life, you should be able to get a better lease rate than 500/mth. Check into renting a park model or leasing at least for a year time frame.
I spent a year living between a 20ft travel trailer and a 27 ft sailboat with cabin. Was newly married and teaching. It worked but after a year I realized we could not go on indefinitely.
I will say that your heat situation can be helped by using a reliable electric heater with thermostat. Having 2 dogs, have learned that it is safest to position tabletop. This will save a lot on propane heating esp if your elec is covered in rent.
Agree that 30 ft would be a good length. If the park has good bathrms, you can use their shower facilities to free up your camper shower space for storage such as hanging clothes rod, litter box, etc. When choosing camper, consider the space for clothing. There are many that offer only a small wardrobe on sides of bed.

Also, consider that if you are gone several hours a day, your dogs will have very limited space for movement in camper vs a small apt.
I'm not convinced a camper is your best move but if you both have a "rustic" personality, you might pull it off.
If you are a handyman type, you have better odds of succeeding.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Well, I would normally suggest that you get your priorities straight and with so much on your plate (GF, school, full time job) that you consider getting rid of the animals. However as an animal lover myself, I know how hard it would be to do that. Get one of those phony service dog certificates for the pit and then they cannot refuse to rent to you.

I have seen campgrounds charge extra for pit bulls and more than one dog. Really, if you can find a nice home for the pit bull, your life will greatly simplify.

I know, all things considered, we could both live on campus fairly cheaply if we just did not have any animals. However, the idea is to find accommodations where we were not forced to make that decision, because we absolute love our pet dynamic in the house with our three furry family members. The parks I have talked to have no issue with our dog being part pit, or her weight, just in her temperament. However, they are concerned with all of our animals temperament, not just our pit mix. We can make it work I think, it'll just be an adjustment.

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
At the campground you are interested in, have you looked or asked for any "seasonal" campers with campsites that are for sale? Or long term rent? A lot of the campgrounds around me routinely have campers for sale that already are on a campsite. These can be a "park model" camper or just a normal camper that hasn't moved in years - these types of campers are not ready to be moved or towed anywhere. Something to ask about!

I have never thought about that. I will definately make sure to ask for those, because that could be a game changer for our situation. Appreciate it.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I would normally suggest that you get your priorities straight and with so much on your plate (GF, school, full time job) that you consider getting rid of the animals. However as an animal lover myself, I know how hard it would be to do that. Get one of those phony service dog certificates for the pit and then they cannot refuse to rent to you.

I have seen campgrounds charge extra for pit bulls and more than one dog. Really, if you can find a nice home for the pit bull, your life will greatly simplify.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
At the campground you are interested in, have you looked or asked for any "seasonal" campers with campsites that are for sale? Or long term rent? A lot of the campgrounds around me routinely have campers for sale that already are on a campsite. These can be a "park model" camper or just a normal camper that hasn't moved in years - these types of campers are not ready to be moved or towed anywhere. Something to ask about!

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
So you have a decent house that's $900 a month all in or that's what it would cost?
Doeant seem like buying a rv and paying $500 for a campsite and maybe a storage u it is really any cheaper.
Now if you're talking a lot more for renting a house then that's different.
Just make sure you get a big trailer, lol.

So, for our house rent, our water bill, our electric bill, trash, and internet, our total cost every month to rent the place we are in now is roughly $930. However, rent is $650. Our biggest problem is that rent for a nice house in nice neighborhoods are renting at a minimum of around $800-$900. That is just the rent. Apartments are not much better, being nearly the same price with the nice neighborhood/bad neighborhood situation, but they do not allow animals under the specifications that we need. We can buy a house, no problem, but we do not have the money for a hefty down payment and we are not interested in mortgaging something at least until we are out of school. With the loan process of financing a camper, plus the $500 at an RV park, we are looking at spending roughly $700 per month at a maximum.

It is only $200 cheaper than normal, but we just cannot find a deal as good as the one we currently have, and our lease will be ending in September, and there is no possibility of renewing it due to the owner wishing to sell the house.

$200 is a large trade-off for such a reduced space and lifestyle, but it is our only option given our specific situation.