cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchased my first RV

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a long time researching RV's I finally bought my first one.

Purchased a 2018 Prime Time Tracer 253AIR. Had the floor plan and storage that I like. It is 28' with one slide and rear kitchen, a good size to start with. I will be using it weekends and vacations. When I retire I would like to full time in a travel trailer but will probably be a different one than this one. I figured I would get something not overly huge to start with to see if I even like it. It is just me so this one should perfect.

I got what I thought was a good deal on it. They ended up taking $2,500.00 off the price. Also got a Equalizer 4 Point hitch, 10,000 lb. They wanted to do one with 2 Point sway control. I called their parts department and spoke with them to see which one they recommended. They said the 4 Point was much better. They did the 4 Point one for the same price as the 2 point.

Once this Covid19 thing clears up I can't wait to start using it. Want to visit state parks. I live in Florida so I can use it year round. I've been busy buying all the stuff that I need to use it, sewer hoses, drinking water hose, electric surge protector, water pressure gauge, sheets, jack pads, etc., etc., etc. I am sure my first time out I will have forgotten something.

So already 2 questions for all you experts:
1) Where do you store your sewer hoses? I ordered a Camco RhinoExtreme, total of 30'.

2) Can I operate the slide on just the battery? I am picking it up this weekend, want to bring it home and give it a good cleaning. Want to move the slide out to do this.
20 REPLIES 20

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad

My current sewer hose is a Rhino. It sounds like the 20โ€™ two section one you bought. It fits into the bumper. Mine is โ€œcollapsibleโ€. This, new to me feature, means as you put the hose into the bumper you have to collapse the portions that have extended as you put the hose away. The first time I used it I ended up with several feet sticking out that would not go into the bumper it came out of.

I have never needed more than 20โ€™ of sewer hose in 15 years.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesinGA wrote:
Sadly, the Rhino hose is probably the most popular on the market, and the RV manufacturers persist in making "storage areas" and not just the bumpers, that the hoses don't fit in. I really don't think the RV designers are RV people at all, that is why you see some of the crappy, poorly thought out designs in RVs.

Charles
Why did Rhino make a hose that won't fit inside the standard "storage area" (bumper) used on just about every RV manufactured in the US?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
If any of these other options arenโ€™t feasible for some reason, you can make a storage โ€œtubeโ€ out of pvc with a threaded cleanout cap on one end and mount it under the trailer.

Ours came with this ๐Ÿ™‚

To the OP, I also suggest that in addition to the hose, you get a plastic bucket (I bought mine at the grocery store, it's a cheap 3 gallon one), and put this under the cleanout to catch any drips when you open it prior to putting the hose on. In that bucket we also keep a few rags, some paper towels, some rubber gloves, and Clorox wipes.

The bucket came in handy on our first dump on our last rig. We didn't realize it had a second gray tank valve (this won't be the case with you), and when we opened the cleanout, gray water starting pouring out. We were able to get the hose on pretty fast, but the bucket was able to catch most of the water before we got the hose on.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
All of our slides operated on battery only.

1 20 ft section of sewer hose for full houps.
1 6ft section of sewer hose in bumper for dumping.

Make reservations as first come first serve are going by the wayside.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
The Camco RhinoExtreme I ordered was a 20' and a 10' extension. However, the 20' is actually 2 - 10' pieces. Thought it was best to be safe than sorry. I also bought a Camco sewer sidewinder support. The bumper on my TT is 4", the RhinoExteme I don't think will fit in the bumper.

Sadly, the Rhino hose is probably the most popular on the market, and the RV manufacturers persist in making "storage areas" and not just the bumpers, that the hoses don't fit in. I really don't think the RV designers are RV people at all, that is why you see some of the crappy, poorly thought out designs in RVs.

As far as slides go, the truth be known, the voltage drop thru the average vehicle wiring to the 7 pin at the rear bumper and the continued wiring inside, will probably not produce enough voltage in excess of the battery to be of much use, but it certainly won't hurt.

At home or a campground with power, just plug the shore power in first and the converter can be used to assist the battery a bit.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the sewer hose tube that was linked on the first page. I think it is a great way to store the sewer hose as it keeps the stink and anything you don't want out of the trailer. Also less touching it. Just pull it out, I have 2 10' sections that fit in there, unhook one or use both, slide it back in when done. Very clean for me...

I have never needed more hose than the 20' I have. I mostly use 1 10' section.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If any of these other options arenโ€™t feasible for some reason, you can make a storage โ€œtubeโ€ out of pvc with a threaded cleanout cap on one end and mount it under the trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought 2 20 foot sewer hose kits for a total of 40 feet. I've had to use 30 feet at least twice so far. You bought 30 feet...Good move on that. I bought a sewer hose tube from Camping World and mounted it under the trailer and also use the bumper.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
The bumper is a bad place to store the sewer hose. The interior walls will rust and the vibrations from going down the road will make pinholes in the hose.
Nonsense. Mines been in the bumper for 15 years. Same hose, no leaks.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a winnebago class c and have kept the hoses in the bumper for 10 years, last year one got past the frame bolt and I had to tear the hoseto get it out. but it worked for us.
Winnebago Access 24V

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! We bought our new 2016 TracerAir 255 a few years ago. It's been a very good TT, once a few issues were fixed. We got it for a great price, for the West Coast.

We move our slideout, on just the battery, all the time.
I store my Camco sewer hose in the bumper.
I lucked out and got a bunch of adapters from a fellow member, at a great price. It also is a rear kitchen floorplan but came with theater recliners.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen the plastic tubes that you can mount on the bumper. I haven't ordered that yet. I am picking up the TT this weekend so I will look at my options once I have it in my possession.

I didn't get a 90 degree hose but a 45 degree one.

I don't think I will be doing any boon docking. At least now, maybe will I retire and full time I may once in a while. I am assuming you are going to say I need a generator? I have thought about it but probably won't get one right away.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you plan on any boondocking? (no hookups)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
The bumper is a bad place to store the sewer hose. The interior walls will rust and the vibrations from going down the road will make pinholes in the hose.

Some people use a 6 inch square PVC fence post and caps from HD or Lowes and mount it on the rear bumper with straps I use a round one like in the link and just drove self tapping screws into the bumper. I am able to fit 20 ft of hose without adapters. I have a small tub with lid that stores the adapters and a rubber donut (which I have never used) Link

Also get a 90 degree hose fitting to attach between the fresh water hose and the trailer. Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup