cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"fridge brace" beware!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=47878&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CIypyb...

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44033-Fridge-Brace-pack/dp/B0024EC74M

I love these things but found a problem with them. I put in 1/2 gallon of whipping cream laying down on its side. Regular spot for 1/2 gallon containers already had milk in it. Stopped 3 hours later and what a mess. Container rode on top of screw until screw poked thru the side and what a mess. Guess I'll turn them around and lose some room in frig but atleast the bolt won't be punchering anymore holes.

Just a heads up.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
14 REPLIES 14

whencanwego
Explorer
Explorer
I use the foam pool noodles, cut to fit tightly from side to side in front of each shelf. I have also used clean bath towels to fill in any space that I feel need to be braced. I use bath towels in all overhead cabinets that contain anything breakable, should the doors fly open during travel. This cuts down on "rattles" while on the road, too.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had problems with stuff in the fridge causing a mess or for that matter coming out of the fridge. I have read about this. But do not understand why or how that happens. Now on a TT I had an aluminum colander always come out from under the kitchen sink. Never did figure out that one.

Then again, I can drive for hundreds of miles and not spill the dogs water bowl most of the time.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Had a cab over camper with the pass through window on my pick-up. Just happened to look in the rear view mirror at the exact moment the fridge door came open and saw a gallon of milk, and other things, fly out.

I was on a dirt road and was climbing a hill at that moment. Stopped and opened the camper door to let the milk run out. Easy mess to clean!
2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC LB King Ranch, Scangauge II
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If things tip over, shop more and fill it up! 🙂 We never had a problem in 16 years of constant travel...much on gravel roads to our boondocking spot!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Two things work better (and cheaper): The rubbery shelf liner sold at Walmart and spring loaded curtain rods also sold at Walmart. No need for "special RV stuff".
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...pickle juice, jalapeno juice and apple juice really make a big mess when door flies open during a turn :B

I wonder if you know that the same way I know what a mess 1/2 gal. of milk makes when the fridge door is not secured properly?? :S
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
the only time I have had a problem is the time I had an open glass of water in the fridge and forgot about it... it is amazing how far 12 oz of water can go while a trailer is rolling down the road. just have to be sure stuff is place where it can't slide too much and door is shut....
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge Bar

This is what we use. Never an issue.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Door locks are essential. Pack the inside with paper towel rolls.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I can imagine the mess you had. I do nor use anything either. My shelves have a lip on them that help. The gallon of milk has it's spot and half gallon items fit on the bottom of the door. All has been fine. Of course I am sure many of us carry very different things that could cause a mess.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
I use small bungee cords sold at Home Despot and weave then through the shelfs so far they have not let me down.

navegator

I'm going to have to try this. Sounds simple, but effective. Thanks
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I use small bungee cords sold at Home Despot and weave then through the shelfs so far they have not let me down.

navegator

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I too bought into the braces but they don't stay attached. Anything moving around on a ruff road just pushes against it and dislodges it. Threw them all out

But,

Learned the hard way about items put in the door.
I had the door loaded to the hilt with heavy items. It's what made the door open and words can't describe the mess.

I now travel with NOTHING stored in the door panels of the fridge.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 7 yrs of FT traveling weekly and in 40 yrs of camping have never found a 'need'
for any of them braces/brackets in fridge

Found out that stuff really doesn't move around much provided door is closed properly.

If NOT......pickle juice, jalapeno juice and apple juice really make a big mess when door flies open during a turn :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31