Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Frig Question

jhelfrich
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
My RV Frig was working great but now the inside sliver grate looking things are developing frost and ice on them. I looked at the directions for the fridg but I don't see a switch to adjust the temp. I don't know if there is a clean somewhere either. My choice is switchs are "on" "off", "auto" ","manual" or a switch which says "climete control on or off"

The frig is a Americana Domestic electric.

Any suggestions welcomed. I love to here from people who are problem solvers. jhelfrich@ymail.com
18 REPLIES 18

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in my 5th wheel full time since November 20123 and I have yet defrosted my fridge or freezer. There is hardly any build up in them at all.

What is on the back of the freezer is just a very thin layer of ice crystals. Nothing on the fins in the fridge at all. So I have not defrosted yet. 🙂

Cherry

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed...the fuller the freezer the quicker it ices up..every couple months ...i just use a hair dryer...melt it off...put the stuff back in...ours has a number system for temp control....1 to 5....i keep it around a 3...
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Increased air movement in large compartment will keep fins from developing frost .. many use something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norcold-Refrigerator-Deluxe-Fan-to-INCREASE-cooling-inside-/390397101524?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae57b05d4&vxp=mtr
Kevin

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
2-3 times per year for us.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We are full-timers and have to de-frost quite often. Everything in the freezer
goes into a cooler as well as other things such as milk, butter, eggs and
anything else that should be kept cold. Use a small hairdryer to then defrost
the fins in the refrig. Need to keep hot air not too close to the fins.
Usually takes about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to completely defrost and clean up.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
The fins in our Norcold auto defrost (10 cf). I do have to defrost the freezer periodically.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jhelfrich wrote:
The frig has been running since August of 2013. How frequently should I expect to defrost it?

Well, unless you are in the very driest part of the country.. you should have done it at least one time already.

Depending on the weather I can go 1 to 3 months on mine.

Now,, I cheat, in addition to the fridge I have a "Cooler" (old fashion picnic cooler like a Coleman, Ice chest type. And an Engel chest freezer..

I wait till its almost time to go shopping IE Tomorrow is pay day, which I wish it was) Then I transfer all frozen food to the ENGLE and fill the cooler with other stuff I toss in some "Blue Ice" packs (The re-freezable things) which I get for free.. And turn OFF the fridge.. I will add a slight amount of heat (150 watts max) and keep the door open so things do not get too hot. While it's off remove all shelves and such and clean... Once the ice melts (Be prepareed for a flood) a bit I pull the back panel out of the freezer to improve thawing. Once it's all thawed Wash per manual directions with baking soda and water.. Re-assemble, Re-start, Re-load.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full-time and have a Norcold, I defrost ours 2 or 3 times per year as eventually there will be frost buildup in the freezer also. The frost on the coils is primarily from opening the door a lot and warm moist air getting inside. Also make sure you cover all leftover dishes. Let leftovers cool to room temp before putting in the frig.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Fridge Fix by Smart RV Products. I just installed one in my unit. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet (first trip is this comming weekend) but it's supposed to eliminate the ice build up on the fins and cool the inside down a lot quicker.
Install is a piece of cake, took me 10 minutes.
Grumpy

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
danoren wrote:
There must be a way to adjust the temperature, go to the manual or call the service.
HERE is a link to the manufacturer.
Good luck .

FYI.......
Many Dometic refrigerators do not have an adjustable thermostat. The only way on these types is to move a thermistor up and down on the inside cooling fins but this will give a temperature variation of only a few degrees.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'climate control' only needs to be ON in humid temps and IF moisture is forming on Frame between freezer and food section. It is a heater.

No temp control on upper panel........
The temp control is pre-set/automatic.
On the right hand fin in food section is a 'thermistor'. Sensor bulb in a plastic clip. IF it has fallen off clip and laying down in food section the fridge will cool continuously causing freezing in the food section of fridge. (Also if 'thermistor' is faulty)

The 'thermistor' can be moved UP for 'cooler' temps and DOWN for 'less cooler' temps if food section. After repositioning 'thermistor' wait 24 hrs. to check temp.

Ice forming on fins in food section can also be caused by door seal leaking...warm air is drawn in.
You can test door seal by placing a bill across door seal, close door and pull bill out. Should be resistance. If bill pulls out easily door is not sealing when closed.

Our fridge is ON 27/7/365 since 2006.
We only need to defrost freezer section about 3 times a year.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
About every 8 months or so I'd say... 🙂

Not an uncommon thing with how these fridges work. I'm surprised you've been able to go this long!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
jhelfrich wrote:
The frig has been running since August of 2013. How frequently should I expect to defrost it?

Impossible to say.
Depends on outside humidity,how often you open the door,condition of the door seals,inside camper temp/humidity....
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

jhelfrich
Explorer
Explorer