cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stopping for grub n gas

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you just look for truck stops. Any suggestions or clues to look for so I don't pull off and find places I can't fit. I'm pulling a 33 foot travel trailer. Thanks and happy camping
42 REPLIES 42

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
.... I take diesel, and have driven through many normal car gas stations to find out they don't sell diesel. Those are the only ones we've had trouble with.

We stop quite frequently when we travel. A 3 hour drive will take us 8 hours, because we stop so much. Small Mom and Pop stores to mega Wall Marts! Small back road gas stations and restaurants that aren't even listed in a phone book they are so out of the way. ...

Just a suggestion, but during one of your stops (or your passenger can do this while moving on the road) you could plan ahead and use the Gas Buddy app for a cellular-enabled tablet or smart phone. Set Gas Buddy on diesel, and type in either the town where you want fuel up, or just press ""Find fuel near me." Many listings are shown well off the interstates.

That way you'll not only see where the best recent diesel prices are, but you'll also avoid driving through gas-only stations looking for diesel while towing.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We get almost 400 miles on a tank, so usually don't have to stop mid day for gas. We avoid eating out for many reasons. We eat from our own groceries and usually at a rest stop or attraction. I can't handle congestion, so I try to avoid it.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We do either a truck stop type restaurant or make sandwiches. Very few decent restaurants are where I can park the rig. A truck and TT are even too long for most Cracker Barrel restaurants which seem feel a 40' rig is the longest they will see.

Much of the time, I prefer not to spend prime driving time stopped for lunch.

But we plan our days so that most drives are under 200 miles. 300-350 is our max - and then I'm going to stop and sit down for lunch. Even if it is truck stop food.

I'd much rather to use that 45 minutes to an hour to get into the next camping spot early if possible.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
The Next Exit app or book lists everything on each exit and highlights rv friendly places off the interstate highway system. Has been spot on every time we have used it looking for fuel or food .
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fueling up diesel? - LOVE being able to pull straight in and out of Truck Stops. Yes, some do have spilled diesel but not all. Gas or diesel - try and find the end spots at gas stations as they usually give more flexibility/room for access. If I can't see a way out, I'm not going in! Watch that tail swing!

Grub - we generally eat in the RV or find a large shopping mall with a good size parking lot to park the RV. Walmart parking lots are good places to stop to eat in the RV and then grab anything you might need. One of the joys of the RV is not spending a lot of money on food for every meal but we do like lunch out. Rest stops, truck stop parking, good pull outs, and any large parking lot all work well for dining in. You will get comfortable and good at spotting safe places to pull in for a brief stop. Happy Trails.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
I prepare our lunch before our departure so all we have to do is pull into a rest area and eat. And we replaced our fuel tank with a Titan 51 gal OEM fuel tank. Now we can drive all day and not have to stop and fuel. We prefer to fuel while disconnected. We will on occasion pull into a truck stop and park to have lunch.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I found that the truck lanes at places like Loves and Pilot are pretty disgusting. No one seems to be in charge of cleaning up spilled fuel. No amount of foot wiping seems to prevent tracking grime into the bus. Some even smell like urine, which I just can't figure out. I mean, the GD bathroom is inside and you have to go inside anyway. Jeez.

X2 on the Google maps street view. Usually pretty accurate on the layout.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say if your looking for diesel or gas but based upon your profile pix it looks like gas?

We have a diesel and when pulling the 30' TT, I only use the big rig area (where the 18 wheelers go). It started when we pulled a 35' 5er and I didn't want to have to make those quick snap decisions that people talk about. Also, it's real easy to get in and out of the truck area (though it can be somewhat intimidating having a bunch of huge 18 wheelers staring down at ya!). The DW and son take the credit card in, I clean the windshield, then pump the fuel and we're off. I usually wait for the DW to get back in the truck!

However, if you need gas then you pretty much have no choice but to use the "car" lanes. Some places have "RV only" lanes but we haven't seen many of those in the NY or PA area.

When it's time to eat, we'll either grab something at a McD's (or the like) if it's on the road. If not, we'll make something from the food in the RV. Either way, we'll eat while driving. Not the best for digestion but it's the best we can do on our limited time away from work!
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel we are two couples. I'll drive the rig with the husband of my wife's best friend. The ladies will be in another vehicle with the dogs pulling our kayak trailer.
When it's time to eat they'll take the lead, I'm usually in front but for fooding they'll head out and look for a good spot with a big parking area nearby. Has always worked well.

We've also done the rest stop and sammiches thing many times as well.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
You'll learn quickly how to judge a station on suitability before pulling in.

X2. And it doesn't matter what you're driving/pulling. You learn to size up the situation quickly.

X2. And by quickly that means within a couple of seconds of spotting the station.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
My wife plans ahead using gasbuddy and usually finds a truck stop on the right side of the road for easy in easy outs

When I go down to the coast I get very picky when chosing a stop due to the lack of truck stops on state roads. Like said before, check the direction of the pumps, look for dips coming into the lot, etc
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
We travel every month of the year for both business and pleasure with our 37 ft RV 5th Wheel. We normally put on enough RV miles, over 45,000 miles last year, that our fuel cost is sometimes over $800 per month with our RAM 3500 pulling our Monty.

Most of our meals are prepared in the Monty although sometimes we do eat in a Truckstop Restaurant. Most TA's, Pilot, Flying J, etc., do have "sit-down" restaurants, while others such as Loves, Marathon, etc, have fast food places. Truckstops have greatly improved over the years and most now have every service needed by traveling RVers.

Since we have been Life Members of Good Sam for many years, I almost always stop at a Flying J or Pilot for fuel at the Special RV Pumps. This way we always have plenty of room to get in and out, plus I always save 8 cents per gallon for the Diesel fuel. Also the FJ Truckstops all have a parking place for RV's, usually in front of the store-pump area for even over night. Many other Truckstops also have an area in the main truck paring area, often away from the Semi Truck area, where RV's are welcome to park over night. We use these often for just an overnight stop.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Google maps is your friend. Satellite view and street view will show you ahead of time where there is a station and if there is room in the lot for you.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

snowcrustracer
Explorer
Explorer
When I finally get to retire and travel I'm pretty sure I would want to base my travel itinerary around the Travel Channels show 101 More Amazing Places to Chow down.
I may have a heart attack before I make it across the country but it just might be worth it. HA!

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/101-more-amazing-places-to-chowdown
2000 Toyota Tundra & 2007 FWC Eagle (SOLD)
2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW & 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EXRR

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I don't stop for food very often. Although I will go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I can usually negotiate their lots. We often do lunch in the RV.
I have a built in genset which makes lunch very doable in the 5'er.
For fuel I use truckstops exclusively. Truckstops always have plenty of access.
I see no need to fight my way in and out of a typical gas station.
Truckstops are easy in and out.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide