cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tank sensor accuracy

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie, and after my fifth trip, I've noticed that my water tank sensors are different. At least I think they are.

What I mean is; the waste tanks tend to read high. In other words, they read being full a good deal before they actually are. On the other hand, the potable water tank seems to read low, just like a car fuel gauge. It reads low, indeed empty, a bit before actually being empty.

This would sort of make sense, so that the hapless RV owner would be prompted to correct the situation as it was developing, rather than wait until it was too late. I just want to make sure this is what I'm seeing.

I'm sure my black tank reading full just after I dumped it, RIGHT after doing a three day full sensor cleaning flush, with lots of fresh water is due to a chunk of toilet paper (marine only!) that has got stuck on the sensors.

Just shoot me now!
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.
25 REPLIES 25

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
I worried about tank levels until someone here pointed out that the waste tanks are larger than the fresh water tank, so they cannot fill up between freshwater fill ups. I put a clear plastic tube over the freshwater drain so I can see the level in the tube. I know when to fill up - and make a point of dumping at the same time.

I have 90 Gal. fresh and 35 gal black and 35 gal gray.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Sea Level gauges and still the galley tank does not read correctly. It is narrow in height and because of that, it is difficult to get an accurate reading. The others work fine though.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I worried about tank levels until someone here pointed out that the waste tanks are larger than the fresh water tank, so they cannot fill up between freshwater fill ups. I put a clear plastic tube over the freshwater drain so I can see the level in the tube. I know when to fill up - and make a point of dumping at the same time.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I know I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but my sensors are almost always correct. And yes they are the standard bolt through the side of the tank sensors. Well once in a while the black sensor sometimes sticks at 1/3 but I've never had a false 2/3 or F reading that a fill and drain didn't take care of. I could probably do the same on the 1/3 sensor, but that one just doesn't bother me enough to want to waste the water to clean it.

To answer the original post though, yes the stock sensors are fairly inaccurate.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Well after 1 full season of using these probes, I will give them an A+.

Aside from sticking a yard stick down into the black tank to measure, they seem to be pretty accurate. My black tank was always showing 2/3 full since I emptied it on my 2nd trip. (trailer was brand new)

Now when I dump my tanks the gauges read empty, just like they should.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 2 sets of these for my TT last fall. 1 for black tank and 1 for grey. Purchased the TT brand new and after my 3rd trip out I was already getting false readings and I know it was empty. TT came with a black tank rinse system already installed!! These are supposed to cure that.

I don't know how well they work as I have yet to install them. Thats one of the first things I plan on doing when I get it out of storage.

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
Try the ice method. Throw a bag of ice down the toilet after you dump. Theory is it'll clean the sensors while you drive. It's not perfect by any means, but it helps and we have used it with pretty good success.
As gross as it sounds, just looking down the toilet throughout your trip is really the best way to know. Trust me, you will know when it's time.
Six of us have camped for a week without having to dump. That's the longest we have gone. That was two adults, three teens and a little guy.
We conserved water like when we were tent camping and encouraged the kids to use the campground toilets if they were out and about (but didn't make it a requirement).
Happy camping!
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
The term "tank sensor accuracy" is an oxymoron. With time you will intuitively know when they are nearing capacity.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

wingtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My waste sensors work well the fresh water usually doesn't. After time you just kinda have a feel for what you have. As a full timer you also kind of use up the spaces pretty much the same week after week so we basically dump the same time each week.
08 Discovery 40x
08 Hyundai Sonata GL toad
08 Honda Goldwing

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The standard waste tank sensor is about as complex as a nail in the tank, in fact it IS a nail in the tank. They work once (When new) and may work once again if you do some SERIOUS cleaning.

Now, there are alternatives: Horst Miracle probes. are designed so as to, in theory, work better, Some folks have reported good results, I have not yet tested them (Planned this summer upgrade)

SEE Level sensors WORK, period, less they come off the tank.

But the standard sensors.. A joke.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rreynold51
Explorer
Explorer
X4 on the seelevel gauges...but we do the same thing we use to anyhow....we shine a flashlight down to verify! If we are out for a long time we use our gray tank water to flush the toilet also....recycle! Even includes some dish soap to keep the black tank stuff from sticking!!!
Rick & Debbi NJ5W/N5GHN
El Paso, Texas

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax

Explorer
Explorer
x3 on the SeeLevel gauges. The usual gauges installed especially in the black tank will generally give false readings and show full when it is not even half full. Anything in the tank that gets stuck on them will turn them on. These sensors are just switches that turn on when water connects the bottom connection to a sensor above. Toilet paper or whatever in the tank that is caught above will turn on the switch. I get fairly accurate readings on all gauges except the black tank. At some point I will make the change to the external SeeLevel system.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Our gauges don't work either, and we tried the useless suggestion of adding water softener mixed with detergent etc. The only accurate gauge is the fresh water tank one. 🙂

We look down the toilet to see when it needs dumping and just guess with the gray water.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
The last time my black tank registered correctly was the second day of our first camping trip 6 years ago.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650