cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution hitch with anti-sway bars

Wheldar24
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, new to the RV Forum. We have recently upgraded from a large pop-up to our first travel trailer. We bought a StarCraft 24RLS, 29', tandem wheels and all the amenities...well, at least for us.

Since we were pulling a 3200lb pop-up, and now move to a 6000lb TT, we are looking at adding a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars. Any suggestions?

Tongue weight of the TT is 560-600lbs, TT weighs approximately 6000lbs gross combo weight. Looking at a WD hitch with a tongue capacity of 1000lbs and 12,000lbs GCVW. Does this sound right?

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to the answers.
19 REPLIES 19

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Harbor Freight WDH gets a lot of positive reviews, and the only negative reviews I've seen are from people who clearly don't understand how to use it. Not bad, for $200.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28167006.cfm

See also this important note here:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28167006/gotomsg/28174686.cfm#28174686
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

Alaskan_Fly_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a 23' Keystone BobCat with hitch and sway bars. It's zero degrees here in Alaska and will be 4 months before I can get out with it. What would be the average tongue weight I should be figuring on? The TV is a V-10 F-250 if that make a difference. How do you figure which link on the chain from the bar onto the trailer to use? I'll have a bunch of questions for you guys!
Thanks in advance.

Ron
Thank You,
Ron

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
xaugievike wrote:
Equal-I-zer gets my vote.

Mine also

My vote as well.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
you can get an Equal-i-zer with free shipping for about $450, from RVW.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Granted I have never used a high dollar hitch like a Hensly or blue Ox. I haul about 6000# and all I have ever used is a generic round bar 10,000# hitch with a single friction bar. I think it works just fine have never had a scary moment.
Maybe the high dollar hitches are worth it,but at 5 or 6000 miles per season,I would be hard pressed to see the advantage.

Blue Ox hitches are not a high dollar hitch. They can be had for less than $600 on the Internet. For me $600 was not a lot of money for my Jayco Eagle that cost me north of $30k.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I am a user and fan of the Reese Dual Cam system. I think they call it the Straight Line now. It works very well in my TT application.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
2007 2500HD 6.0L
2010 Jayco 23FB about 6000 lbs
I used a standard WD hitch for a few years (no sway protection). I switched last year to the Resse Dual Cam 12000# unit. It was a huge difference towing on highway and freeway speeds. All of the sway from passing trucks dissapeared. As far as noise, we hear noise only on backing with extreme angles. I use vasoline as cam lube as recommended.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tongue weight of the TT is 560-600lbs, TT weighs approximately 6000lbs gross combo weight. Looking at a WD hitch with a tongue capacity of 1000lbs and 12,000lbs GCVW. Does this sound right?

Guessing weights won't hack it. As mentioned you'll need to weigh the trailer (when it is loaded) and get the correct tongue weight. If this is not possible, then the normal procedure is to take 12% of the trailer's GVWR (6000 lbs??) for the tongue weight. 6000 x .12= 720 lbs. So, your comment above does sound right. If the trailer's GVWR is actually higher than the 6000 lb you provided...apply the 12% to whatever the actual GVWR really is.

Keep in mind of the 12% figure above. 550 - 600 lb tongue weight for a 6000 lb trailer is way too light and more than likely, you will probably encounter sway conditions regardless of the WD/sway control device you choose (except for the Hensley and Pro Pride, of course).

You also mentioned "gross combo weight". Not really sure what you mean by that and you didn't give a weight for it. Gross Combined Vehicle Weight GCVW is the total weight of the truck and trailer combined.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Wheldar24
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank all of you for the replies about weight distribution hitches and recommendations. This will be helpful in choosing the correct type and style to meet our needs. So glad I joined this forum.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
xaugievike wrote:

Mine also
samsontdog:o:W

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Wheldar24 wrote:

You weigh the tongue, ready to travel, to find out the true weight. Buy the bars that are correct for that weight. More is not always better.

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the Blue Ox for 7 years now. Very good hitch.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Granted I have never used a high dollar hitch like a Hensly or blue Ox. I haul about 6000# and all I have ever used is a generic round bar 10,000# hitch with a single friction bar. I think it works just fine have never had a scary moment.
Maybe the high dollar hitches are worth it,but at 5 or 6000 miles per season,I would be hard pressed to see the advantage.