cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 VDC Blu-Ray Player

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Best Buy today looking for a Blu-Ray player for my Study and found a Sony Model BSP-S1500 on sale for $69.99. I thought that for that price why not. When I opened the box, much to my surprise there was a 12VDC wall brick.

I don't need one for the Bounder but I thought maybe someone here could use one. I have been using an Insignia player directly off the battery without any problems for about two years along with both TVs and I expect this Sony player will be trouble free too.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
14 REPLIES 14

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I got an LG blu-ray player off of woot.com last fall for like $30. Here's the model: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Blu-Ray-Players/19372/subcat.html?featuredproduct=10313003&feat...

It takes a 12v power brick, so just cut the lead off the brick and connect to your 12v. Made some angle brackets and mounted it under a cabinet. Ran HDMI to the TV. Works great!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
Using component cables even HD means you convert the video signal to analog, transmit to TV, then convert to digital again.

No conversion to digital in our HD television. It receives and operates in three all-analog modes: Composite standard definition, RGB high definition, or component high definition. It's a 58 inch 16:9 projection TV with three separate CRT tubes - red, green, and blue. When we bought it in 1999 it was bleeding edge, with hardly any HD content available for it until a few years after that.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

APT
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Component cables can carry fairly high definition analog images ... they just can't carry any audio at the same time. HDMI cables of course carry both ... for simpler hookups.

Our 58 inch 16:9 widescreen home television does not have HDMI inputs at all. The Blu-Ray DVD player feeding it via component cables provides beautiful high definition images, we just have to run the additional audio cables between the Blu-Ray player and the TV.

Not always is newer better ... sometimes newer is just another way of taking your money again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

DVD and Bluray are digital formats for video and sound. Using component cables even HD means you convert the video signal to analog, transmit to TV, then convert to digital again. Every conversion loses some quality. Is it perceived? Maybe not, but I would not call HDMI/component the same.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
eric1514 wrote:
Good find. I can't understand why in this day and age, manufacturers still put Jensen DVD players in brand new coaches.

Few guesses:

1) automotive grade blu-ray aren't that common, yes they exist but not for $10 at the wholesale level like the Jensen

2) most coach have small TV ... with the exception of the high 6 and 7 figure priced ones, dvd vs bluray is moot on a 20-40 inch screen.

3) blu-ray itself, despite clear technical superiority is still a niche product. the masses think DVD is "hd", which is not, but good luck telling Joe Lunchbox or Soccer Mom that.

Just like laptops and desktop computers - why do they still come with dvd drives? Bluray doesn't cost more at the retail level, but it must be a lot more expensive at the oem level.

Okay, I've got to ask, what is "automotive grade".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought an LG BP550 Blu-Ray player and it also runs on 12 volt.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MrWizard
You're right
And I'm not even sure, he is using component
He might be using the old A/V cables and calling that component
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Component cables can carry fairly high definition analog images ... they just can't carry any audio at the same time. HDMI cables of course carry both ... for simpler hookups.

Our 58 inch 16:9 widescreen home television does not have HDMI inputs at all. The Blu-Ray DVD player feeding it via component cables provides beautiful high definition images, we just have to run the additional audio cables between the Blu-Ray player and the TV.

Not always is newer better ... sometimes newer is just another way of taking your money again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i have a friend with a Brand new HD tv and a (2) yr old DVD player
and he is using component cables

i keep telling him to go buy an HDMI cable
Is that Joe... ?
:B
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MrWizard
my new Hp 17" only has DVD play/burn
i have wondered about getting a BD play for it
figured it would be easier to just replace the Phillips DVD player with a BD player
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some laptop computers come with a Blu-Ray DVD player built in.

My HP did way back in 2007. I can use an HDMI cable from it to input HD movies from the laptop into any modern flat screen TV that will play high definition content from a Blu-Ray DVD player. We can also view Blu-Ray movies directly on the laptop's 17 inch 16:9 aspect ratio screen. We can do this in the RV and also pipe stereo sound from the laptop's Blu-Ray DVD player into the RV's built-in coach speaker system. The laptop can be powered directly from any 12 volt outlet in the RV ... no inverter required.

MrWizard
i have a friend with a Brand new HD tv and a (2) yr old DVD player
and he is using component cables

i keep telling him to go buy an HDMI cable
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running that model for a few months now, I cut off the cord and wired it in parallel with my Insignia TV which I've been using for 2 years on 12V. Haven't had a single problem with either device running on 12V.

it cost me a fraction of the OEM Jensen junk.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
Good find. I can't understand why in this day and age, manufacturers still put Jensen DVD players in brand new coaches.

Few guesses:

1) automotive grade blu-ray aren't that common, yes they exist but not for $10 at the wholesale level like the Jensen

2) most coach have small TV ... with the exception of the high 6 and 7 figure priced ones, dvd vs bluray is moot on a 20-40 inch screen.

3) blu-ray itself, despite clear technical superiority is still a niche product. the masses think DVD is "hd", which is not, but good luck telling Joe Lunchbox or Soccer Mom that.

Just like laptops and desktop computers - why do they still come with dvd drives? Bluray doesn't cost more at the retail level, but it must be a lot more expensive at the oem level.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar