cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Led Lights

MxDad567
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to upgrade the lights in my toyhauler. Who uses what bulbs and how to choose whats right? Most of my bulbs now are 921"s
14 REPLIES 14

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Is the purpose of this mod more to save energy, or to get brighter lights?

I believe most do it for the energy savings, particularly if they do a lot of dry camping, though you can also get brighter, but then that uses more energy as well. One of the primary benefits for us, since we don't dry camp much, is that in two years since switching we haven't replaced one bulb while in the past we were replacing five or six fluorescent bulbs and a couple of G4s each year.

Energy savings and reliability. I dry camp a lot and the LEDs help a bunch in that regard. I also had lots of bulb failures, in particular with halogens in the ceiling and the exterior "porch" light. I haven't replaced one since I upgraded two years ago. The ceiling lights are indistinguishable from the OE lights in color or output.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
den06 wrote:
Upgrading our lighting to LED bulbs. Have most of them installed. Trying to replace the RG 1141 bulbs. Was asked the polarity because they have 2 polarities for this bulb. I told her that all I knew was that the Denali TT 2006 was negatively ground. Can some one explain this to me. I know if the light doesn't light the first time I install the bulb, that I should flip it over and it should work. Is there something else I should look for? Sort of new at this.

My MH used a lot of 1141 bulbs. I have replaced them all with LEDs. Only one socket was wired with the positive and negative wires switched. I switched the wires so the positive was on the single contact and all was well.

If the bulb doesn't light check the polarity with your multimeter and reconnect the wires if the center contact isn't positive. Oh, you don't have a multimeter, then just switch the wires and see if it works. You might try another bulb just to make sure it isn't a bad bulb.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
An 1141 bulb is just a normal bulb (BA15s base) with a single contact center tip, right?. All 12v sockets that I'm aware of for those are positive in the center and ground on the sides. Reversing an 1141 bulb (or LED) won't have any effect; it will work regardless. A BA15d base, on the other hand, has 2 contacts on the bottom of the bulb, and an LED bulb for that WILL need to be installed correctly, as will 921 wedge types. If it doesn't light up, remove and turn the LED assembly 180 degrees.

Here's my conversion.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

den06
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading our lighting to LED bulbs. Have most of them installed. Trying to replace the RG 1141 bulbs. Was asked the polarity because they have 2 polarities for this bulb. I told her that all I knew was that the Denali TT 2006 was negatively ground. Can some one explain this to me. I know if the light doesn't light the first time I install the bulb, that I should flip it over and it should work. Is there something else I should look for? Sort of new at this.

MxDad567
Explorer
Explorer
The Bathroom and garage is the place I need the most light.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with 36-1210 warm white panels. 24-5050 panels appear to give off comparable light. I was going for power savings over increased light output.
I did a pre-emptive strike and zip tied the panels to the reflector plates.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

I believe most do it for the energy savings, particularly if they do a lot of dry camping, though you can also get brighter, but then that uses more energy as well. One of the primary benefits for us, since we don't dry camp much, is that in two years since switching we haven't replaced one bulb while in the past we were replacing five or six fluorescent bulbs and a couple of G4s each year.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to agree with sound guy, I have been using ones from Same Vendor for several orders over 4 years and have had no failures or problems.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did every one of my marker lights last winter. Simple to do. Just pull off the lens, pull out old bulb, insert new bulb, and replace the lens. Here is what I used for the marker lights. They are short enough to fit under the lens cover and the price was right (20 for $7.49 and free shipping). ๐Ÿ™‚ I also replaced all the ceiling lights in the trailer with these.
In addition, I replace the regular bulbs in three fixtures with these cob style lights. I am very pleased with the color and light output. It is almost identical to the regular bulbs in color but a bit more light output.

I did not replace my tail/turn/brake light combo.
My buddy did his and has had a problem with the LED's burning out. I don't know who the maker of his was.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the 5050 SMDs from eBay. I use 48 LED panels in the general areas and 36's in the bed areas. The cheap double sided tape came off on a few so I put them back up with some silicone adhesive.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MxDad567 wrote:
Looking to upgrade the lights in my toyhauler. Who uses what bulbs and how to choose whats right? Most of my bulbs now are 921"s

I'd personally recommend these 5050SMD 921 bulbs from this offshore vendor. I've been running 16 in my own trailer for over a year now, no issues whatsoever ... bright (300 lumen), warm (3200 Kelvin), and don't cause any RFI interference with the radio. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would suggest picking something from here in warm white. If you have room for a panel then you can get them with more than 15 leds... brighter.
You will get suggestions to buy from a US re seller for three times the price as they will replace if one fails. Of the 50+ cheap eBay from China ones I've bought over the years, I've had two fail costing me $3 to replace.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I went with what was cheap on ebay, they do the job for me http://www.ebay.com/usr/ledkingdom-us
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson