cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12v outlet question

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new trailer doesn't have a 12v outlet near the tv. The tv is near the back of the trailer in a slide. I can't figure out how to run the wires from the battery back to the tv area to add a 12v outlet.

I'm wanting to add this outlet because I mostly boondock and I have a 600w inverter that plugs into a 12v socket and the tv plugs into the inverter so I can watch some tv.

So I had another idea....what if I add another outlet up front close to the batteries, I can do this easily, then plug In the inverter there and use an extension cord over to the tv (tv plugs into extension cord). Will this work?

Anybody have any other ideas to do this easily?

TIA!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
28 REPLIES 28

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Consider using a 12v TV set. I got two when we went solar. Our inverter requires 2 amps just to run before it even does anything. My 12v 32” tv requires 45w of dc. It’s a lot less load on your battery and you can probably tap off a nearby existing cable.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
naturist wrote:
campermama wrote:
So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.

That does suggest that your TV uses a lot less than 600 watts.

Any halfway modern TV will use a lot less than 600 watts. Something around 25-50 watts is probably more typical, depending on screen size, etc.

If you pick up a 100-150W inverter (well under $50) and wire in a 12V outlet near the TV, you could be done.

My radio is 12v and is in next to the TV. I've already added a USB outlet. Next is a 12V outlet for my 150W inverter.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure that their are no 12 volt outlets anywhere in this RV ? Almost all of the antennae boosters in a RV that I've seen have a 12 volt outlet on them right near where the switch is to turn on the booster. (Maybe some of the new ones don't do that anymore thought I suppose)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

Any halfway modern TV will use a lot less than 600 watts. Something around 25-50 watts is probably more typical, depending on screen size, etc.

That is why our old 50" plasma TV lives in the bedroom where it is seldom used. Beautiful rich color, but draws 650 watts. Ouch. The new 55" LED in the living room needs only 50 watts.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
campermama wrote:
So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.

That does suggest that your TV uses a lot less than 600 watts.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
Ok so based on what I think I am learning from you guys and a few others.....

I could probably cut 12v plug off inverter, add wire and wire inverter right to the batteries, no 12v outlet. Would this be best way to go? Would this scenario still need a fuse inline?

I need simple/easy oh and english! haha!
Thx!

This is what I would do. Yes you need a fuse as close to the batteries as practical. I'd also use #8 wire.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
campermama wrote:

That does suggest that your TV uses a lot less than 600 watts. I, too, would suggest putting the inverter as close to the battery as possible, just in case you ever decide to try to run a coffee maker, for example, which would likely draw close to 600 watts. AC current at 120 volts tolerates smaller wires than DC current at 12 volts. If I remember my wire guide table correctly, a 13 foot run of wire for 50 amps at 12 volts requires 10 gauge wire, which is pretty heavy stuff. However close you put the inverter, you should use a 60 amp fuse.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
campermama wrote:
Question....what 12v outlet will handle my inverter safely?
None go to 600 watts. Use something like Anderson Powerpoles to connect.

I still think my solution above is way easier and no wires draping around.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Adventure Blog:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh. I said this before but I will make it simple

Battery==Fuse==inverter------------------------------------------tv

== is big heavy wire -------------- is light duty (or medium duty) extension 14 ga wire if using romex 16 if using an extension cord is OK.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easiest probably would be to remove the existing plug (if any) and wire to the battery. Yes, you need a fuse a close to the battery as reasonably practical to protect against fire in case of a short in the wiring to the inverter. (The inverter presumably has a DC fuse or fuses to protect it from catching fire in the event of an overload or fault.)

Any connector rated for at least 50A would be suitable to use, but you'd still need wiring to connect between the one connector and the battery, and a fuse to protect that wiring. Using standard AC electrical connectors is not recommended due to the possibility of someone mixing things up accidentally at some point. One example of a fairly readily available connector that would be entirely suitable is the SMH SY50.

A 12V lighter plug is limited to somewhere in the vicinity of 10A or so, and would be ill suited for running the inverter at full rated power. For a low draw, such as many TVs, it should be usable but not ideal; they tend to be a bit unreliable at times.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok so based on what I think I am learning from you guys and a few others.....

I am thinking to put the inverter in the front bedroom, and run wires down through front compartment to the batteries. Then I will just run an extension cord to the tv/sat box when I want to use it.

Question....what 12v outlet will handle my inverter safely?
OR
I could probably cut 12v plug off inverter, add wire and wire inverter right to the batteries, no 12v outlet. Would this be best way to go? Would this scenario still need a fuse inline?

I need simple/easy oh and english! haha!
Thx!

My Adventure Blog:

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
Are you now REALLY confused?

Yes!! Nobody is speaking english! haha!!!

My Adventure Blog:

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you now REALLY confused?