cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

900 miles of Cicadas 1.5 inch and noisey East Coast US

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's the invasion of the 17 year itch Cicadas which will be emerging with up to 1.5 million per acre from Georgia to New York mostley along the I-95 corridor. They will be making their mating calls and landing all over vehicles trees, you name it. Estimates are sometime in July, but exactly when is up to mother nature. They are other areas with different time tables to come out in different parts of the country. The last time these were out for mating was 1996. The logic is they will survive in mass but would be eaten in small numbers so they all come out to make sure they survive, and they eat like they are starving.
22 REPLIES 22

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Got all the way from MD to OBX and not cicada storm. Hope my luck holds on the way home.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
They say the Bass really like them.........................

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone can calm down. Their noise is not deafening. They do not eat crops. The 17 year cicada had been underground for 17 years, eating juices from tree roots. They are only above ground for a short time to shed/mate/lay eggs. Then, they die. Birds, fish,and mammals feast upon them. I suggest that if you are lucky enough to encounter them, you have a license, a fishing pole, and maybe a grandchild. Better than any video game.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
1272 miles up the east coast this week, havenโ€™t seen one, havenโ€™t heard one, and have none on the windshield or anywhere elseโ€ฆ
FL โ€“ GA โ€“ SC โ€“ NC โ€“ VA โ€“ WV โ€“ PA โ€“ OHโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time to get a good coat of wax on the RV if your going to be traveling the highways the next few months. Will make it much easier to removed their squashed guts off your pretty RV. Just saying....
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

flyinguy68
Explorer
Explorer
My yard has all those holes in it just like the picture, but I haven't seen the buggers yet. Haven't even heard them
'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT

ReelTime
Explorer
Explorer
OK howโ€™s about someone splain something to me. I have lived in Piedmont North Carolina all my life. A southern boy and the Son of a Tobacco Farmer and a Tobacco farmerโ€™s wife. So I guess that makes me Southern X2.

Now for at least 62 years (canโ€™t really remember the first couple years very well, 64 now) there has been every Summer Cicadas. In the summer at night the hotter and drier it got the louder the serenade got.

It would appear to me that for several years now there has been a springtime alert that the 17-year Cicadas were about to emerge.

Now just splain to me how did that happen? This 17-year deal that happens every year where I live and has happened every year for a long time.

Only thing I can figure is the 17 year variety sneaks in with the yearly variety and there you have it. Never noticed any of them looking different but maybe the language is different.

I kind of like the noise myself at night, I do understand the saying โ€œso loud it is deafeningโ€ that is the only thing I can hear, at least that is what I tell my wife.

My wife says I have too much time on my hands also.
Ron
A wonderful Wife
Two kids, 7 Grand kids
1997 Class C 31' Four Winds, Towing 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4 down.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, please say it isn't so. Im heading for OBX and I can just imagine the front of my rig when I get there. :R
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
They have been out here for close to a week. Very loud during the day. Our bluebirds are plumped up from the extra protein.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sit out in my CAMP BACKYARD every evening at the edge of my woods until dark here in King George - haven't heard them here yet...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
IF you see holes...

You will see Cicadas...
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the bright side, less leaves to rake this fall. My DW just loves trees.
Puma 30RKSS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

so what natural predators eat these buggers?

Ive heard a story about locust invasion in China one time and farmers alegedly took ducks,geese and chickens and turned them lose among these locusts,and they took care of them just nicely.

Birds will have a feast. I had a dog that couldn't get enough of them.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Ringer
Explorer
Explorer
I hope they eat stink bugs :B
2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
2008 Saturn Vue