cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
You catch up to me on a two lane road. You can’t quite see far enough ahead to know if safe to pass, but I blink left signal 2 blinks on move to the extreme right of my lane. What am I doing?

1. Saying “safe to pass I will help you around” ?

2. Making fake gonna turn left signals like “brake checking” only different?

3. Trying to trick you into a fiery head on collision which I am videoing to sell to the news and u tube?
85 REPLIES 85

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Corkey05 wrote:
Does anyone remember when the speed limit signs on Hwy's also included "Minimum" speed?

And I have a couple of tickets to show from going below the posted Low Limit. The Minimum began to disappear soon after the Interstate system became our main roadways.

Not only do I remember it...it's still there on most freeways.

It has been changed in many states to bump it up to 55mph and even if not posted, many vehicle codes still include it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never heard of anything like that. To me it would be confusing and I would wonder what you are smoking.

Now, if you didn't blink and then you slowed down and pulled to the right of the lane I would take that to mean that you want me to go by and that is what I would do. But, only when I thought it was safe to do so.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Missouri 304.011.1 - No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. Peace officers may enforce the provisions of this section by directions to drivers, and in the event of apparent willful disobedience to this provision and refusal to comply with direction of an officer in accordance herewith, the continued slow operation by a driver is a misdemeanor.

This LEO can pull me over, or stop me. But if I feel that I'm going the max safe speed for vehicle, road, and road conditions, I am willing to stand in front of the judge and let that county mounty explain why I should be going faster. BTDT, case dismissed.

If you’re holding up faster traffic and a LEO pulls you over, there’s NO need to write you a ticket, they’ve already done what’s needed, to let the faster traffic go by you......

Oh, and good luck merging back out into that faster traffic now that you’re at a full stop.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will not rely on another person's judgement to tell me when it is safe to pass.

I will continue to drive what I consider a safe speed. I usually avoid Interstate Highways and stick to US and state highways. I drive about 55 when the speed limit is 55 and 60 when it is higher. If I have to be on the I, I speed up to 65. Pay attention to the traffic up ahead and anticipate when you need to pass.
There is a passing lane on the I for a reason, so use it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no LEO.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Missouri 304.011.1 - No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. Peace officers may enforce the provisions of this section by directions to drivers, and in the event of apparent willful disobedience to this provision and refusal to comply with direction of an officer in accordance herewith, the continued slow operation by a driver is a misdemeanor.

This LEO can pull me over, or stop me. But if I feel that I'm going the max safe speed for vehicle, road, and road conditions, I am willing to stand in front of the judge and let that county mounty explain why I should be going faster. BTDT, case dismissed.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
While driving in Jalisco, Mexico, I was told that it is not permitted to hold up traffic behind you when making a left turn, so drivers turn on their left blinker and pull off to the right where there is usually a wide shoulder, and then wait for an opening. There is often an adjacent frontage road to use when crossing a highway.

I do that when turning left, but am wary of cars in front of me that do it. To make matters worse, it is apparently not universal throughout Mexico, but is a regional thing?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

Does anyone remember when the speed limit signs on Hwy's also included "Minimum" speed?

And I have a couple of tickets to show from going below the posted Low Limit. The Minimum began to disappear soon after the Interstate system became our main roadways.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Years ago ('70s/80s) when I was on the road pulling for a living it was understood 2-3 left blinks meant from my view up front its clear to pass. This was a necessary as most roads were 2 lanes
I wouldn't do it today. Lots of drivers don't know how or are scared to pass on a 2 lane road....so they just tail gate. Young females are the worst.

Ditto this ^^^ except in the 50's and 60's..
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1 - I've had a few truckers in the US do it to me when I couldn't tell if it was clear ahead of them to execute a pass, usually on an uphill. Hard to imagine any driver being that courteous.

Thing is, most vehicles these days come out of the factories with broken turn signals. Functioning ones aren't always used correctly either. One violation of the rules I see a LOT is when people change lanes in an intersection, turn signal or not. You can get away with it until you're in an accident.

Once most drivers get their licence, they seem to forget the contents of their motor vehicle act in it's entirety. Drives me crazy. I expect drivers around me to play by the same rule book, but apparently I expect too much.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am.

There's also no law that you can impede traffic... wait a sec...actually there are laws about impeding traffic...which are there to allow people the right to drive faster than you would like to.

On a 4 lane road, the law says I must stay in the right lane unless I'm passing somebody. 2 lanes? You can pass if you can do it safely. And because I prefer traffic moves in a safe manner, I watch what is behind me, hug the right so you can see, and slow when you step out. But I have a right to drive at what I judge a safe speed.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am.

There's also no law that you can impede traffic... wait a sec...actually there are laws about impeding traffic...which are there to allow people the right to drive faster than you would like to.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I never ever circumvent the standard printed rules of the road. Never wave someone ahead at a for way stop, never cede my right of way to facilitate someone elses driving. Never. Not because I am a prick or rude, but because rules and etiquette are in place to help us all.
Helpful Hank waving someone ahead or yielding his turn only serve to confuse folks. Driving is hazardous enough with out people just tossing wild cards into the deck!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
You were about to turn left, changed your mind after two blinks, got distracted from texting, and veered too far right.

LOL! Me too. The contradictory behavior would make me pass VERY carefully (and quickly because you clearly are confused) once I could clearly see that it was safe. The only sign I know that says "it's OK to pass me" is the arm-wave coming from someone driving farm machinery. Most folks in these parts simply move as far to the right as possible so you can see around them.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!