cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acrophobia

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone else has a fear of heights and has trouble driving along mountain roads and how you handle it. We are planning a long trip and I just hate the idea of missing sites we want to go to because of this darn fear. I'm so crazy I go to google maps and follow the road so I can see if I'm going to have trouble.
25 REPLIES 25

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Wow!! I was very happy to see this post!! I know that isn't nice, but I thought it was just me!! I such a fear of heights, and Vertigo as well. When you add curves I almost can't stand it! We just made a trip to Yellowstone, Rushmore the Badlands and Rocky MT. National park on the return trip. I will NEVER go to the Rocky Mt. area again. I was so sick....but, it was beautiful. I don't know how my husband does it!! Putting up with me and driving over a mountain without guard rails most of the way!!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
When you think about it there aren't many highways that have steep dropoffs. If you have unlimited time, when not choose different routes even though they might be somewhat out of your way? As another poster suggested, ask for an easy route on the Roads and Routes forum and mention you don't care if it's out of the way. It's worth a try rather than giving up seeing things important to you.

I was also going to suggest that you drive but you said you already do that. Obviously, having control of the wheel doesn't help for you.

Best of luck to you and yes, even seeing a therapist might really help you conquering your fear. I know it helps people who are afraid of flying.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if one can gradually work through this phobia? You know, 10 foot, then 20 foot and so forth. I do know that race car drivers warn that you will hit an obstacle that you focus on, so I keep my eyes on the road.

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
I conquered my fear of heights by taking flying lessons... ๐Ÿ™‚

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about Hwy 17 & Lake Superior it has changed. I took that trip in June and found the road to be great but no where near the water or views. I had always heard what great scenery there was there. I was disappointed with the scenery but not the road.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has a fear of heights and has trouble driving along mountain roads and how you handle it. We are planning a long trip and I just hate the idea of missing sites we want to go to because of this darn fear. I'm so crazy I go to google maps and follow the road so I can see if I'm going to have trouble.

I used to be scared of heights when young but then became a carpenter and learned to get used to it when building high scaffoldings..eventually even learned to fly a plane..

Still driving along some high roads one time in BC where there are no side barriers and the road was slippery from rain was bit unnerving..only solution is to go slow..
in Northern Ontario along the Great Lakes the roads are so bumpy and bad my truck was undulating and rocking from side to side I was worried it may tip over and even though there are barriers you can see the huge big lake right at the edge of the road and beyond and the steep hills drop offs were long ways down I had to really slow down and take it easy..
Next time I think I'll drive at night that way you won't see t he danger

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem as a passenger in our class A.

I saved this long thread and read it every once in a while to remind myself that I am not alone.

My wife is afraid to ride in our Class A.

Sandi
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My wife found that I am afraid of heights on our honeymoon in 10-59 at Niagara Falls. We went on the Spanish cable car over the whirlpool and she said I never let go or looked down on the whole trip. I did use a whole roll of film without looking through the viewfinder. Mountain driving doesn't bother me but Royal Gorge did when I had to park on the other side and walk back.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I read once that acrophobia is the default in humans, since among primitive men, individuals who avoided hazardous terrain were the ones that survived. Disrespecting that natural tendency really thins the herd today, especially among young males.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, good! There are more of us!
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are very brave to be an RVer despite this problem!

I wonder if there is some form of counseling that would be helpful? A lot of counseling is about gaining control over your own mind. It's not about talking about your childhood :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to post parts of your route on the "Roads and Routes" section of the forum. People can reply with descriptions and possibly alternate roads if they think your choice is not so RV friendly for you. I've done that several times. It's a big help to make me feel more confident.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
That's why I drive. The view from the passenger side scares the H... out of me.

I'm way more confident of being in control of the steering wheel than as a passenger. Holding the wheel gives you more confidence and awareness of control of the MH, and you know when to brace for the corners. . . and have something to hold onto.

My BIL says that kids don't have balance anymore. In the good old days (without seat belts) you had to be aware of what was happening outside the car, or you could get hurt. You actually needed to have your eyes outside the vehicle and not on your cellphone.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I think our Class A is top-heavy. With me in it, I know it is. That's why I like right-hand curves better.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.