cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Angry wannabe RV police encounter

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
Sunday July 7 we were driving south on US 101 below Yachats Oregon. If you are not familiar, it is narrow and winding with no passing lane for a stretch.

The suggested speed signs for the curves are 20-40 mph and I took them at those speeds. There are a few spots where an RV can pull over and stop if you see it in time and it is not full of cars with people enjoying the view but they are small. I'm certainly not a road hog and have used turn-outs often and stay right on the hills.

I think it was about a 30 minute section and even in my wife's sporty car you can't take the curves much faster than posted so I figured I would be good. Well this guy apparently didn't think so.

We pulled into a grocery store parking lot and he drives up and signals to roll down my window. He then immediately says "I'm an RVer and you give us a bad name, real bad." He also called me many other names which cannot be printed here.

I stayed calm and told him I was sorry about the incident and apologized for slowing him down. This only seemed to anger him more and he said he "Ought to get out and whoop my ass."

First time in 4 years of owning a TT I've seen anything like it.
65 REPLIES 65

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Wow! Some of you guys are freakin scary! Pull out a shotgun? Wave a .45?
Ask me again why some want to take away firearms?
For somebody yelling and screaming?
I carry when traveling,but I know what is legal and what is not I know what is wise and what is not.
The only time my gun is coming into sight is half a second before I pull the trigger.It will be for some guy halfway into my rig,or to stop a violent felony in progress. Certainly not for some hothead screaming and waving his arms. Brandishing is against the law in every state I know of.
Ask me again why we are going to lose the Second?

yelling and screaming??? is that what you consider for threats of violence of physical harm? Common law was if threatened you had the right to shoot them rather than take a beating or lose your life.
I'm not going to provide a "fair fist, knife, club or other type of fight" and risk death from the idiot threatening to beat me up or kill me. Showing that road rage idiot, that you are armed and giving them cause and reason to back off is sound reasoning!!! Just don't point it at him unless actual shooting is called for.
I don't pull it from the holster though unless it is to use it. Not had to in many years. I had a mount on the floor and dash and lock release for a pump shotgun. They could see it by just looking.
Brandishing charge would have to show you were going to be an aggressor, here anyways.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 any day.

You want to pick a fight, come armed.

Me and a multitude of others being armed, is why 90% of the people are polite.

You don't want to be confronted with fire arms, don't pict a fight, most are willing to teach you a lesson.

I've carried for well over 70 years, never once had to use it. I never would start a fight, but I'll sure. as hell end one.

Any of you anti gunners willing to place a sign on your house saying this house is not armed? If not you are simply hiding behind my guns

I,ve been armed since I was 12 years old. Never in my 65 years have I felt compelled to draw down on someone for a traffic infraction, never!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Wow! Some of you guys are freakin scary! Wave a .45?

Where did you get that? must have been your imagination.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 any day.

You want to pick a fight, come armed.

Me and a multitude of others being armed, is why 90% of the people are polite.

You don't want to be confronted with fire arms, don't pict a fight, most are willing to teach you a lesson.

I've carried for well over 70 years, never once had to use it. I never would start a fight, but I'll sure. as hell end one.

Any of you anti gunners willing to place a sign on your house saying this house is not armed? If not you are simply hiding behind my guns.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
pitch wrote:

In our local incident, the road rager punched the driver.

WRT brandishing being illegal, not completely accurate. You are perfectly legal to "brandish" to stop a threat. It's been studied that firearms successfully stop crimes as many as 6,000 times a day. Only a few required the application of venting holes. I've personally seen a "potential" criminal have a change of heart, and there were no holes created.

i stand by my statement that once it becomes or is likely to become physical, my behavior is changing.

Exactly. Been there did that in downtown Detroit a few years ago. Got accosted by a street person wanting money. All I did was open my windbreaker and when he saw I was carrying a holstered 45 acp. His attitude suddenly changed. Any potential perp with half a brain don't want to leak. Myself, I'd rather brandish a bit than have to use lethal force and deal with LE afterwards.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the OP stated that he was driving for 30 minutes, the distance from from Yachats to Florance is 27 miles, before getting anywhere near Florance there are numerous places to pull to the shoulder to allow traffic to pass.
My question is what speed was the OP traveling between the tight turns? I mentioned before many areas where traveling 55 should be comfortable pulling a trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, I don't get that kind of encounter with people when I'm wearing my Pistol Club hat, lol.

Everyone actually are extra courteous to me.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
pitch wrote:

WRT brandishing being illegal, not completely accurate. You are perfectly legal to "brandish" to stop a threat. It's been studied that firearms successfully stop crimes as many as 6,000 times a day. Only a few required the application of venting holes. I've personally seen a "potential" criminal have a change of heart, and there were no holes created.

i stand by my statement that once it becomes or is likely to become physical, my behavior is changing.

Well when I call 911 and tell them some fool is waving a shotgun around,you are going to e the one face down in the gravel, not I.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You should have hyphenated "RV-police", but that would not solve the confusion. Liberal fake news thing hereโ€ฆ

I know in WA it is illegal to block more than 5 vehicles behind you on those mountain roads, or that you cannot pass a turnout without letting them by, however the law is worded.
Not sure about OR, but I am surprised there was a 30 min stretch on windy mtn roads with no "slow vehicle turnout"

Are you telling us the whole story or just your version?

A sporty car can almost always go double the posted turn speed with little issues.

If you are blocking people for too long, then let them by, make it happen.

Also, if you are a slow driver and come to a long straight passing zone section, this is not a drag race. Do not speed up here if the lane is open, this is where people can legally pass you in the passing lane. Slow down even more now so they can all pass you. Sometimes there is another equally slow driver directly behind you, so slowing down will allow a normal driver to pass you both.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:

Can you show this 6000 times a day statistic anyplace that is not related to NRA?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I carry when traveling,but I know what is legal and what is not I know what is wise and what is not.
The only time my gun is coming into sight is half a second before I pull the trigger.It will be for some guy halfway into my rig,or to stop a violent felony in progress. Certainly not for some hothead screaming and waving his arms. Brandishing is against the law in every state I know of.
Ask me again why we are going to lose the Second?

Exactly. I was shocked to read that stuff too.

Possibly just internet cowboys who didn't do a thing but brandishing a firearm is a quick pass to jail usually.

No one should see your firearm until it's being shot at them. Period.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, the pullouts aren't the greatest, sometimes the shoulders are pretty narrow. But I think, even it is not 'convenient for you" If you can, without risking life and limb, find a way to let the other guy pass, I think that it is the courteous thing to do

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
People in general always amaze me. I farm and I road my equipment to fields and just like clockwork, at least once yearly some dork in a big hurry wants to get around me and gets off the edge of the road (I only run 2 lanes) and gets sucked into the ditch. In a big hurry to get nowhere.

I'm 100% legal with SMV placards, amber flashing lights and according to state law here in Michigan, I have the right of way. I always try to allow traffic to pass when there is a place I can pull off the road and into but when pulling 10-12 foot wide implements, those places are far and few between and I'm not pulling into someone's front yard just to let some idiot pass because he has to get home to have a cold brew.

Tough.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing more fun, when riding a motorcycle on a twisty road, than following a Citizen Hall Monitor who toodles past turnout after turnout...

When I relocate camp in whatever lardass RV Iโ€™m using I do my best to help people around, use turnouts, donโ€™t use a lane to make the 1 mph faster cruise control pass of a transport truck etc etc