cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

another maxxis?

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Since my china bombs destroyed the side of my trailer yesterday I am now buying 4 new tires and am settled on maxxis 225/75/15 load range E to replace my Blowmaster load range D tires. I dont have room to upgrade to 16" rims nor do I really want to spend that money so LT tires are out correct? They aren't made in the size I need from what I have seen. Correct me if im wrong before I drop $600.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
18 REPLIES 18

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
The Maxxis is rated on the 10 % weaker ST scale and weighs about 90 % of the cargo G26 .

Exactly which tires are you comparing? The OP would most likely go with the Maxxis E rated 10 ply 80PSI tire rated at 2830lbs. Your reference seems to be the Maxxis 8 ply D rated 2540lbs 65PSI tire.

What keeps most people confused is that the ST rating scale is 10% to 20 % weaker standard than the LT scale .
The Load Range E Maxxis tire has a weight of 30 # .
It takes considerably less tire cords and rubber to meet the ST standard .
This lower standard was done to make ST tires cheap .
The comparisons are easier when the sizes are identical .
In the 16 inch diameter a 235/R 16 LRE is only rated at 3042 # on the LT scale but rated for 3640 # on the ST scale .
The heaviest duty 15 inch tire is the Goodyear Cargo G26 size 225/70R15 load range D .
Continental makes that specific tire also but the Goodyear & Tire Rack distribution system make the Goodyear an easier choice .

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct. I am interested in the load range E tire. Loaded trailer weight for a weak in the mountains was 9857 lbs. With my current tires I am now realizing that I was only about 400 lbs from the max weight. Pretty scary. I guess I was blissfully ignorant. With load range E I will be about 1200-1500 lbs. from the limit

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
The Maxxis is rated on the 10 % weaker ST scale and weighs about 90 % of the cargo G26 .

Exactly which tires are you comparing? The OP would most likely go with the Maxxis E rated 10 ply 80PSI tire rated at 2830lbs. Your reference seems to be the Maxxis 8 ply D rated 2540lbs 65PSI tire.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We had four Hercules tires fail on our RV. One was a blowout, the other three were showing defects when we got to a tire shop later that afternoon.

I posted a thread on the topic a couple of years ago. Tires were low mileage. Hercules refunded us $450.

And No, we weren't overloaded, we were under 60 MPH, and we had not stuck any debris. Straight highway, light traffic, warm (not hot) sunny day.

If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
many times each season I see a camper with damage from a tire blow out. I enquire,observe the failed tire, Never seen a blown Maxxis or Hercules.

I frequent other RV forums and other forums (boating/agriculture/construction/commercial haulers/etc) that some type of trailer is used. Lots of tire complaint threads.

We have over 20 RV.net members that I've seen who had the usual belt delam/tread separation with their Maxxis ST8008 tires which is about the norm on other trailering websites.
The Maxxis ST8008 may be popular on this web but certainly its not without issues nor is it as popular on other websites.

Hercules has been a popular truck and car tire brand around here for years when they were USA made. I have no idea where their made now but their new into the ST tire manufacturing so only time and miles will tell the story on a Hercules ST tire. I've not seen any complaints on them either but is typical of a new tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:

Consumer Reports has tested passenger care tires and published their results each year in the November issue .
No Maxxis has ever placed above the bottom 25 % of the ratings , ever .

Good thing the discussion isn't about passenger car tires!!!

Of course .
It is entirely logical that Maxxis makes crummy passenger car tires yet somehow makes good trailer tires .
Try making the argument in person that Maxxis makes first rate tires at your next car club meeting .
You will get laughed out of the conversation .
Only on the internet , specifically on this chat room is the Maxxis considered average or better .
And if you read the tire threads , 50 % of those posters praising Maxxis had just made their purchase .
Look it up .

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
many times each season I see a camper with damage from a tire blow out. I enquire,observe the failed tire, Never seen a blown Maxxis or Hercules.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lowsuv wrote:

Consumer Reports has tested passenger care tires and published their results each year in the November issue .

Good thing the discussion isn't about passenger car tires!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Feel free to ignore the naysayers for those of us who have achieved great results using them for many years
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to upgrade at the logical replacement time :
For trailer usage the best 15 inch tire is a:
Goodyear Cargo G26: size : 225 /70 R 15 C ( commercial )
here is why : 27.4" diameter X 9 " section width
Tire weight is 33 # due to extra cords and rubber .
Made in France or Germany .
rated 2470 # at 65 psi on the 10 % tougher LT scale.
Speed rated 106 mph .
For comparison :
Sharp readers will note that the Goodyear company has to provide a 33 # LT tire to get a 2470 # weight rating .
The Maxxis is made in Asia and has less cords and rubber .
The Maxxis is rated for 65 mph .

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you can't go the 16" LT tire route Maxxis are the next best thing..
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Get the date codes/month built from the vendor.
You may want to order a spare, also, since Maxxis isn't sold everywhere. If you have a flat when out and away and don't have a Maxxis spare, you may have to wait for a replacement.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great. I just made sure the rims were up to the challenge too and they are stamped 2800 some pounds so im good. Did everyone get them locally or did you order online? Seems the closest dealer is over 95 miles away so online is looking like a better choice. Im just afraid that I will get some old new stock thats been on a shelf for two years

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Exact tires we have. They have been great. You won't regret shelling out the little bit extra for them. Good call moving from D's to E's also/ That's what we did for the extra margin.

X2
I put Maxxis on as soon as we bought the 5er two years ago. Also went from D's to E's. I think you will be pleased. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.