cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
well I hate to admit it but I know we're not the first.

first time owners of a 2015 Outback. 13'2" tall. first time I managed to just twist the antenna up a little. a friend climbed up top and managed to twist back to basically its original shape.

now I've managed to almost rip the thing off due to low trees. we have a driveway that is perfect for parking. my problem is the trees in the neighborhood, lower than they look apparently!

so anyone have any experience with replacing their tv antennas? any kind of a something or other to attach to the roof of the trailer so I don't screw this up again.

a couple of the trips we've been on we won't be able to do again because of the low clearance due to trees. last trip was fine pulling in and parking but when it came time to leave there was only one way out!

stupid on my part but really sometimes its as though there is no other way to get out of what you've gotten into.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How to replace a Winegard Sensar antenna head

Get the new head (I recommend a Sensar IV)

Raise antenna.. Point toward near side of RV (Wings extend to the sides of where the thing points to)

Disconnect the coax cable (A 7/16" Wrench may be helpful) and let hang

Remove two pins (They have spring pins that lock them in) Needle nose pliars may be helpful

Set old head aside

Align new head with the one arm and insert pin and pin it
Slign other arm with other hole insert pin and pin it

Attach coax cable

Point towards TV transmitters and test...

Return to "Home" position lower and job done.
Job done.

Suggestion: IF you have a problem tearing it off when driving forward (not sure Id' do this for backing) Put a standard Camco or equivlent vent cover just in front of it to either take the blow or lift the small limbs up over the top of the antenna.. They will then fall back onto it but should slid off without harm (I hope).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
ours does not retract? is that possible?

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
I learned early in my 39 years of RVing to put several "checks" in place to help save antennaes! I have a bright orange spray painted horse shoe I hook to the steering wheel, the "antennae saver" sign on the visor and I loop my CB microphone cord through the steering wheel. If I still fail to lower the antennae then I deserve to have to replace it:-)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
the wineguard bat wing, will set lower than anything else on the roof, when in the retracted position

the only time i ever damaged one, was forgetting to put it down

There's an old saying amongst pilots who fly retractable gear aircraft. There's 2 types of pilots, those who have landed with the gear still up, and those who are going to do so eventually.

"If" is the biggest little word in the English language. If nobody forgot the antenna we'd not be discussing this. LOL.

MrWizard
the wineguard bat wing, will set lower than anything else on the roof, when in the retracted position

the only time i ever damaged one, was forgetting to put it down
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
same idea but put a clothes pin on gear shift when up ,when down put it on crank
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
When I do use my crank up antenna I put an uncut blank key into my ignition with the orange reminder sign attached, reminding me that the antenna is up. Before driving off I must remove the key and reminder. I have never forgot the antenna using this method . JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
It was one of our little life's lessons. We left early in the morning for our next stop, never bothered to look to see if the antenna was up. All was well until we stopped for fuel. Off came the antenna ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ever since the, we have a dream catcher we hang on the antenna handle when we put it up. We haven't done it since.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy yourself a little sign to post in your cockpit to remind you about lowering your antenna.

For myself, I have it listed more than once in my pre-flight checklist.

Bride, n. A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
thanks so much for the replies. guess first thing I have to do is convince myself that once I get up there i'll be able to get down!

and yes, those things are flimsy! heavy duty tin foil!

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er is about the same height as your rig, I missed a low tree branch and knocked off the Jack antenna. What I found out is its mast is pretty flimsy so I replaced it with a Sensor4 (batwing) so it wouldn't stick up si high when traveling. I can't help you with the install as I had it done but wanted to pass along my experience.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Which antenna? It really does matter.
If you mean the Winegard "bat wing" the parts are available at most RV parts stores, including Camping World
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.