cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone else wipe their lp tanks?

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
Im have a bit of compulsive disorder and like to keep things clean. So before we roll out its waxed and polished every time. Even though nobody really cares how dirty their lp tanks are; I do. Im having a heck of a time trying to keep it clean as the tank itself is exposed to the undercarriage of the rig. If anyone out there have any pointers to keep it clean or product recommendation to get all the road grime off I'd be happy to hear about them.
29 REPLIES 29

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, I don't. Reason: LP tanks are on the outside of the "living area" and anything in that area falls under the category of "Not My Job!" :B

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I hose them off. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rmasonschneider wrote:
Im have a bit of compulsive disorder and like to keep things clean. So before we roll out its waxed and polished every time. Even though nobody really cares how dirty their lp tanks are; I do. Im having a heck of a time trying to keep it clean as the tank itself is exposed to the undercarriage of the rig. If anyone out there have any pointers to keep it clean or product recommendation to get all the road grime off I'd be happy to hear about them.

Spray them with WD-40.

They will accumulate (more) dust.

You will have more enjoyment compulsively keeping them clean..:C

~

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
California duster.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had rust on mine so I wire brushed it and painted it with silver Rustoleum paint. It looked brand new. Several years later it had road grime so I sprayed a degreaser then rinsed it off. So now I figured it was a good way to check for propane leaks by washing it once a year. It still looks new and have fixed one propane leak and is 18 years old.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Some are clean freaks and some don't wash their entire coach but once a year. I polish my Onan genset that's on a slide tray once a year.

Cleaning and polishing is a GREAT WAY to find things that are coming loose or going wrong with your RV.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Home Depot sells a variety of these perforated metal panels that would be easy to form and attach around or under your tank.
Yes - this is how ours came.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good grief Charley Brown! You can tell it's winter in most of the US.
Puma 30RKSS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot sells a variety of these perforated metal panels that would be easy to form and attach around or under your tank.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
During those last few minutes of life as my past flashes by I doubt I'll have much interest in the time spent cleaning my propane tanks. :h
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has to be open to the ground since LP gas is heavier than air and settles. Any way to install a deflector hanging down on the leading edge of the opening like a mini mud flap? May direct some of the debris without blocking the opening at all. Would only have to be 2-3" long, since the debris is coming up from the ground at a trajectory.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If anyone has ever seen a chassis mounted LP tank that wasn't taken care of they know why the OP takes care of his tank (and i'm assuming their entire RV). Sometimes they will look as if a small pebble will go right through them because they are rusted so badly!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
apologies for not being clear. My class C has the lp tank mounted on the passenger side which is accessible through on the small side doors. It is mounted to the chassis horizontally and it is there nothing between the tank and the road to prevent it from getting super dirty especially after passing over snow/slush covered roads.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I wipe mine down if I happen to get caught in very wet conditions while on the road. I inspect it a few times yearly to make sure everything is in place and working right.