cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Purchase an RV Used instead of New?

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Another post on this forum asked about new, rather than used. Pre-owned? I see some really great pricing on very lightly used RV's. Actually, looking at a unit that was pre-owned would show leaks, damage, and how it was holding up after some miles. I think this is a great way to see how a RV was built and taken care of. I see these nice RV's stored in a enclosed building since new, and after talking to some of these RV owners, you could tell they protected since new, but now only use it 1-2 a year. I looked at new but reading the stories here about new RV's spending most of the first year in the shop for repairs, I found a very nice pre-owned RV. Please post your experience with new or used.
35 REPLIES 35

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get a lot more RV for less money if you buy used. You can also get a lot more problems. It helps to be handy.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased a high quality 10 yr old motorhome, 7 yrs full-time now and we still love it. Have had few problems. Mostly maintenence things you would expect.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Never bought a new rv, and never will. Let someone else take the depreciation, and have the problems fixed that come with a new coach. No thank you.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got lucky on mine- it was a previously owned (used) but repossessed camper that was never used (brand new condition.) Still had all the stickers on the appliances and plastic on the mattress... propane tanks had never been filled.

Got it 2 year after the model year (a 2008 model bought in 2010) for half the actual price (not MSRP) of what a new one with same features and options would have been.

I know my situation might be rare, but it can be done. I had researched what I wanted and knew from experience having owned 3 TC's previously exactly what my needs were. The opportunity came up and I had cash when the opportunity presented itself.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My current TT was perfect when I bought it two years ago and is still great. Yes, there are stories but you hear very few stories from those of us that are not having issues. Everyday maintenance? Yes....its a box bouncing down the road...pavement and dirt. So, new or used? For me, new.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It really depends on how they were cared for.
We traded in a super nice TT that had thousands of dollars worth of upgrades and was cared for without regard for cost. It looked like new when I dropped it off at the dealer.
I would look for signs of leaks and pass on any of those. Also look for signs that things were kept up with. If little plastic things (covers and such) are broken and never replaced, it's a sign repairs weren't kept up with.
A new trailer makes sense (to us) if your going to keep it a long time and use it a lot.