cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use a bumper mount grill?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if I should get a bumper mount grill or just a Coleman RoadTrip grill.

I will have an outdoor kitchen on my TT with a 2 burner stove and
I want something that doesn't sit on the picnic table at the campsite site. I was also thinking burner grill top but it may be too small.

Is a BMG more convenient to set up/use?

Any recommendations?
14 REPLIES 14

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If I don't have another option (like a picnic table or something similar), I pull out and set up this little table. It takes about a minute at most to set up or take down, and when stored takes up about as much room as a collapsible chair.

I have a bumper mount set up on my TT and have used it for 4 years. It is convenient and the grill fit into my outdoor kitchen on top the counter.

Toward end of last year I converted my Weber Q to run off the propane line and bought this exact compact and fold up table to put it on. The Weber is a much better grill. Downside is it is too big to fit on the counter in my outdoor kitchen and outside pass through storage so I have to haul it in the truck bed and if I have my golf cart in the bed it will have to sit on the floor inside the TT door.

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:
our new travel trailer came with the swing out grill on the rear bumper

not sure how much use i will get out of that but i will find out

i will treat it like i do the weber gas grill at home,all grease gets removed after each use and wiped down too(im anal about keeping things in like new condition 😉 )
That's also a great habit to get into in bear country. :W

yes it is,and being that we will be doing a fair share of camping in northern mn(where there are a lot of black bears)im glad that i am that anal lol

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III

i will treat it like i do the weber gas grill at home,all grease gets removed after each use and wiped down too(im anal about keeping things in like new condition 😉 )
That's also a great habit to get into in bear country. :W
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you’re fair weather pavement pounders, bumper mount grille may be ok, but add in a liberal dose of dirty road spray and/or dust and mud from dirt or gravel roads and a bbq exposed to that doesn’t work so great IMO.
Used to carry our little bbq in a hitch rack behind the camper, but it would get caked with road grime and grit sticking to the insides.
Just throwing it out there. I’d rather not have to clean the bbq off regularly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

My TT came with one of those. It's low pressure propane and thus does not get very hot - it struggled to cook hot dogs. I took it off after our first trip. Maybe yours will be better - good luck, but bring a back up.

isnt that what the inside kitchen is for 😉

my wife loves to cook(one of the reasons we got a RK model,larger kitchen area) and like i said,we will see how much i will actually use it.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bumper grills are on the cheap side. In my searches I'm pretty sure i saw a mount for a weber q that mounts to the bumper.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

My TT came with one of those. It's low pressure propane and thus does not get very hot - it struggled to cook hot dogs. I took it off after our first trip. Maybe yours will be better - good luck, but bring a back up.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our bumper grill and swing out arm after the first use. The grill didn't work well and didn't like cooking that close the FW. We purchased a Q2000 and small aluminum table to set it on along with an adapter and 15' hose to run it off the FW propane tanks. Now we cook under the awning, out of the weather and 100% happier.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of the bumper mount grills I've seen have been overpriced and crappy grills. I've got a Weber Q that is great, and I can connect it to my gas line on my camper. I've got a small table it sits on, and it works really well.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get the bumper mount grill get the one that the grill can stay on the bumper during travel. If you cook a lot outside and find the two burners are to small look at the Big Gas Grill 3 that comes with the grill attachment. I had problem getting two pans on the two burner stove and was looking for a better grill option and went this route about 5 years ago. I also got the griddle for it.

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I don't have another option (like a picnic table or something similar), I pull out and set up this little table. It takes about a minute at most to set up or take down, and when stored takes up about as much room as a collapsible chair.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
mnm#2 wrote:
A grill setting on a picnic table or other type of stand is not a bad thing when you consider the possibility of a grease fire ,it does happen.

Yes, I like the stand idea. We've done picnic table but it takes up a bunch of room and gets cluttered with all the food prep all around it.

Also, we usually put up a canopy over the table and the smoke gets trapped under it.

mnm_2
Explorer
Explorer
A grill setting on a picnic table or other type of stand is not a bad thing when you consider the possibility of a grease fire ,it does happen.