cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auxiliary outside canopy?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping over the last weekend and it poured “cats & dogs” for three days straight. I saw a couple next door to us with a 10’x10’ canopy they were using to stay in out of the wind and rain. Their canopy had three closed in sides on it leaving one end open so they could watch their campfire. This extra canopy seemed like a reasonable idea so I was wondering what others on this forum do with regards to having an extra collapsible type canopy? What brand and or type have you found that works best, easy to set up and not too heavy or large to store in the basement of a 5er? I realize NOT all commercial camp grounds allow the usage of additional outside structures or canopies. Here is to staying dry on those wet camp days.

Lakeside
28 REPLIES 28

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 9' * 9' we bought at Wallyworld for $40. I'm anxious to use it again as I bought some solar rope lights at Harbor Freight to put around the top. The lights were $10 for 16' and the solar will be handy as we'll be dry camping.

Don't want to start a discussion on Harbor Freight as I know everyone has their opinions but these got decent ratings so I'm hopeful they will work OK.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Just a "heads up". I was a Big Lots (Odd Lots) today and they had several sizes of the pop up canopys on sale.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
My reply to a similar question is in the link. There is a bit of a review of a recently purchased 10x10 from costco.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27004684.cfm

http://www.costco.com/.product.100041624.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-Popu...

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is 13' X 13'. Can't remember brand but got it at Academy for $179 I think. Love it!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 12 x 12 Coleman. It is very easy to put up. We usually use it instead of using the camper awning. Since we have a popup, it has the bag awning and is harder to deal with than canopy, plus the canopy gives us more room underneath it. If there is a storm coming that we feel we will need to take it down, it can be folded and laying on its side in about 10 seconds.

Look for canopies that have straight legs. Many times, the ones with slanted legs will say 10x10, but the canopy covering is only 8x8 or 9x9.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine on sale from Dick's sporting goods. haven't looked lately however. has zip on screens and sides.
bumpy

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I will check out the EZ UP series.

Lakeside

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
EZ UP is the best one made. You do have to buy the additional sides and/or screen inclosure but they DO go up in a nano second and down just as fast.

Dog show people use them in the CG parking area a lot and hands down they choose the EZ Up.

Unlike other canopy's, if a storm comes up with the EZ UP you just bring the top part down and you can 'leave it in place'. The metal zig zag way its manufactured gives it stability. It won't go anywhere.

Sometimes Walmart will have them on sale at a real good price.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had one forever even though I think Ive set it up twice. This year Im going to get more use from it mainly due to Ill be staying longer at one place. Mine does have three sides to it and its an "Easy-Up" which I think is a Brand name?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
10x10 EZup is what I prefer you can add a screen kit or solid wall kit. Almost a necessity from tent camping days.

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours...had a first up for several years..we lost it in the camper fire Easter....It was one of the first things I replaced...we got a Coleman this time...I will let you know tomorrow how good it does.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 10' x 10' one. Self contained and expands/pops up easily. Has it's own carrying case and stores easily in FW basement. No idea what brand, have own it for about 3 years now. Got it on sale at Wal-Mart. Think I paid around $70 then.

We don't use it very often but sure is handy when we want it.

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
We have one, no idea of the brand. It is about 5 feet long when folded up. There are wheels on one side of the bottom of the carry bag. It is heavy, but one person can easily stow it. It does take two to set up.

We only have one side to ours. We do not always use the side.

Ours is 10X10 and has straight legs which means we have a full 10X10 of coverage.

A friend has one with angled legs and the coverage is really limited.

Bugs are not usually too much of a problem where we camp, if they were, I would buy one with screens.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the brand or type, but I see several at nearly every campground we visit. Most are just the top, without sides, but some have sides of solid material or screens. Pretty common in this area.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."