cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Babies, Golf Carts and Tailgates, etc..........

HuckFinn410
Explorer
Explorer
First off - As a seasoned camper, I know better than to venture out on a holiday weekend. Many times in the past, I have sworn off holiday weekends, only to have short term amnesia, and off I go for another dosage of madness. Perhaps I thought that being located in a seasonal site for the last year would yield different results. Not.

The topic of this discussion isโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆWhat the hell are people thinking that insist on driving/riding around with little bitty infant children on their laps as theyโ€ฆ.a. ride in or on a golf cart for no reason but whipping around the campground like idiotsโ€ฆ.b. ride sitting on the back of a jacked up truck tailgate while holding infant with one hand and trying to hold on to the tailgate with the other while some 18 year old dude drives, too fastโ€ฆโ€ฆc. hold said infant โ€œup highโ€ so they can get a good โ€œviewโ€ from the boat as they pull it out of the water at the boat ramp on a crazy busy (windy) weekend.

Having kids changes your life, been there, done that. Loved every minute of it. It doesnโ€™t mean that you canโ€™t still have fun, just not the same kind of reckless stupid fun that you might have had in the past.

Sorry, donโ€™t mean to be a grumpy old fart (only 51), but come on people! Being drunk and stupid and endangering yourself is one thing, but to bring the little innocent into it is going too farโ€ฆ..IMHO

Feel slightly better now, thank you.
Homesick for a place that I've never been
13 REPLIES 13

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last summer we took a nice trip to Florida and stayed at a campground on Lake Alfred, close to relatives. It had a beautiful dock that you could go sit on with a shelter and roof, fish or just sit and watch the sunrise or sunset.

All along the banks, signs posted about the gators and at most moments, you could just look out and see the heads of numerous ones sitting within 20-30 yards of the bank. Mostly small ones, 4'-6' but there was one that was up near 10' or more as his head alone was 2' long.

I watched the sunrise, fished a little, went in to make some coffee and get the wife and daughter stirring and I come back out and there is Mom and girlfriend, the lab and a baby under 4 years old, sitting in those little short chairs you put partially in the water at the beach. And mom isn't paying a bit of attention to the little one, the dogs watching it I guess.

I walked down and said hello and said, I don't mean to tell anyone what to do, but I'd never forgive myself if I didn't tell you there are a lot of gators in this lake, almost all of them big enough to think your child and dog are suitable snacks and if you want to see the big one I have been watching all morning, walk up on the dock and look in the shallows to your left. He's big enough to eat any of the three of us if he wants to.

She gives me a polite, thank you for the information and not another word. She continued to sit there with her friend, child and dog up until the time we left later that morning.

You can't fix stupid.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago we camped at a "resort" that had lots of wide roads and the golf carts cruised all day long and did the same things, and I think they especially came out at sunset, just for their last evening cruise. I told my DW if I ever spoke of buying a golf cart she could shoot me, please. And yes, you can't fix stupid.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
The Conservation Officers that work the parks in Saskatchewan have a saying:

"People come in, and they check their brain at the gate"

Some of the stupidest behavior I've ever heard of are stories from a friend that worked my favorite park. It's like people really do leave their ability to think when they cross through the park gate.

As for old, I'm 34, and I don't EVER remember doing anything THAT stupid before my three bundles of joy arrived.
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It's fun until something tragic happens....

Most of us have had something like this done to us when young or did it to our kids.

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
I am not condoning the behavior that is describe above, but if we all remember, we were young and pretty stupid ourselves. I ran across a note from a friend the other day that I know I can relate to, how about you all?

"I don't think we get smarter as we grow older, we just run out of stupid things to do"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
It has nothing to do with Holidays and everything to do with stupid!

Or camping as I have watch too many people cutting grass on a riding mower while holding a small child. Now that is stupid.

X2, a child in Florida recently had lower limbs severed from being run over by a mower. It is not cute, it is not fun, it is dangerous to children!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

Or camping as I have watch too many people cutting grass on a riding mower while holding a small child. Now that is stupid.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
As quoted from Animal House by Dean Wormer...DRUNK AND STUPID IS NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE SON...

Oh geez if the above didn't show my age...

It used to be that knowing every line to Casablanca made you old.

Now it's Animal House.

Guess that means it's time for me to pick out a rocking chair and put on my adult diapers.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Can't change stupid.....

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
As quoted from Animal House by Dean Wormer...DRUNK AND STUPID IS NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE SON...

Oh geez if the above didn't show my age...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
They are everywhere. Last summer we were on Sanibel Island when Tropical Storm Debbie came through. High waves, winds, currents, etc. We went to walk along the beach and one idiot was in the water up to his chest with a grade school child on each side of him.

It's one thing if he has no regard for his life, but to risk kids....

I'm resigned to the fact that I am turning into an old crank.... oh, well.... better an old crank than an idiot.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I'm camping. I'll do what I want."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman