cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back before cellphones

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember the rows of pay phones campgrounds had near the office? Phone calls when you changed campgrounds and periodically so people back home could get in touch if they had to. It was nothing to be out of touch for days if you were out west.

This came up last night as some neighbors complained about the lack of cell coverage in the campground and how โ€œdangerousโ€ it was to be unreachable.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
90 REPLIES 90

I recently found some post cards I had sent to parents 65 years ago. I was 15 and took off hitch hiking around the country. You could do that in the 1950s. Parents didn't have a phone so once in a while I sent a post card. Here I sit with an I-12 and wonder if anyone sends post cards anymore

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
We used postcards. Daily. Some location particulars. Letters, weekly or more often. A phone call in an emergency until Dad put a Motorola radiotelephone in the Buick in 1962. $10/minute in todayโ€™s money.

Why would you need a phone? Our men were on every continent of this planet in the 1940s and life somehow went on without that device.

You wanna be slick, get a HAM license and โ€œphone homeโ€ like the big boys used to do.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad we DO have cellphones: 3 local girls were approached by a man asking for help putting something in his van. Sensing a bad situation, they told him no, and took photos of him, his van, and his license plate. And reported it to the Sheriff's Dep't. Turns out the guy had prior convictions for sexual misdeeds and hopefully won't be loose to bother other girls. Smart girls!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Explorer II
Explorer II
I was standing in a grocery store checkout line many years ago. In front of me was a young boy and his father. In front of them was a large, heavy set woman wearing a pager. Her pager starts beeping and the young boy screamed "Look out dad, she's backing up".

I know, that's not PC at all these days but I had to do it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mr. ed wrote:
One day I was giving a talk during a religious service while wearing my pager on my belt. The pager was set to vibrate. Well, someone called and I jumped a little during the talk. I wonder if the congregation thought I had a sudden infusion of Holy Spirit! :B

He was probably making sure you didn't fall asleep! :B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BobsYourUncle wrote:
2112 wrote:
When I was young and on the road I would call my mom collect to let her know I was ok. I would use my name (David) as the person I'm trying to reach. The operator would say "collect call for David" and mom would say "Dave's not here". She knew I was ok and it didn't cost a dime.

LOL!
Daves not here - Cheech & Chong :B

That's awesome !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
One day I was giving a talk during a religious service while wearing my pager on my belt. The pager was set to vibrate. Well, someone called and I noticeably jumped a little. Iโ€™ve wondered if the congregation thought I had a sudden infusion of Holy Spirit! :B
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Explorer II
Explorer II
I called my pager the electronic nose ring
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
Pagers were the start of us not being able to hide or ignore while at work. Sometimes, it was great that they couldn't get in touch with us !
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when pagers were the norm. You still needed to find a landline to answer the call, which was often a hassle. Plus, the fact the caller may have been long distance added an additional problem. Thankfully, modern cell phones have solved these issues.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wish I could come up with a program to make these AI robo calls for extended warranty call each other over and over again.

I thought about staying on the line and requesting a warranty for a 62 biscayne with 430,000 miles to see if that would knock me out of the system.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Evidently you're not hammered with extended warranty sales calls, LOL.

LOL! Yes, I am, but I have fun with telemarketers. Feel kinda bad sometimes because I know they are only trying to make a living but on some days enough is enough.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crowe wrote:
Seen an article that stated that manual transmissions were becoming a theft prevention item because so few people know how to use them.

LOL they are indeed! However, finding them is more and more difficult, even in sports cars.

I'm not sure I'd go to the extent of calling cell phone a necessity just yet but as life and technology evolve it may become that way. They've impacted my life in a positive way with few negatives.
Evidently you're not hammered with extended warranty sales calls, LOL.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Crowe wrote:
He had no idea how to use it.

Of course he wouldn't, just like most of us wouldn't know how to use something that was prevalent 75 years ago or something we don't use in everyday life or at our jobs.
True but this was 20 years ago before black rotary desk phones were complete obsolete.

Seen an article that stated that manual transmissions were becoming a theft prevention item because so few people know how to use them.

20yr ago rotary phones were very much an oddity. By the 1980's they were already being phased out, so most folks under 35 likely have never used one and even for the rest, they are a distant memory.

I am a bit sad that the manual transmission is dying a slow death but when it lost it's MPG advantage and sports cars found they could sell a fake manual transmission, it was just a matter time.
Wow time marches on, this occured in 87 so actually 34 years ago. But my point was technology moves on and stuff becomes obsolete.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

LOL they are indeed! However, finding them is more and more difficult, even in sports cars.

I'm not sure I'd go to the extent of calling cell phone a necessity just yet but as life and technology evolve it may become that way. They've impacted my life in a positive way with few negatives.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]