cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back-in from which direction?

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a correct side (driver vs. passenger) from which to back into a camping spot? We went out this weekend and I backed in from my usual side....the driver's side. Saw others enter from the passenger side while others from the driver's. The spots were probably angled less to the passenger side but many would cause you to back up an incline in the road. I didn't notice any correlation between the angles and inclined road, so that didn't seem to make a difference.

Realizing that angle of entry, among other criteria, dictates which side to back toward; are there reasons to choose one side vs. the other?
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
31 REPLIES 31

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I get it that drivers side is preferred because you can see more of the trailer. However in reality you don't always have the luxury of backing to the drivers side.
In the end you must become proficient at backing in either direction.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Spotters are very helpful,, but you have to have ground rules set forth prior,,,And you have to trust and get along with the spotter!! Who has NOT sat back and sipped a cold one watching that special family or couple back into a spot and it is a HORROR show?? Funny for us,, but just sets the tone fore the rest of their stay!!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Diver's side is preferred because you can see trailer tires and back them right in to where you want to be

Passenger's side has the handle of 'blindside' for a reason....

Practice and in time it won't matter
If you are fortunate to have a great spotter....it REALLY doesn't matter :B

Should be able to do both without a spotter!!

If you can back-in blindside w/o getting out of truck and w/o a spotter in the various places we have encountered across the USA.....you the man!!

But I doubt it!!

Good spotter makes driver look like an expert vs internet chest puffing

Never said without getting out and looking!!:)

That said I have done some nice placements without a spotter!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Diver's side is preferred because you can see trailer tires and back them right in to where you want to be

It is much safer to back up with a spotter. At my place of work most trucks over one ton, even body job tank trucks, are not allowed to back up at all without a spotter. It is safety rules like that that ensures that everybody goes home to there family every night and property is not damaged.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

If you can back-in blindside w/o getting out of truck and w/o a spotter in the various places we have encountered across the USA.....you the man!!

But I doubt it!!

Good spotter makes driver look like an expert vs internet chest puffing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
As stated earlier, Drivers side is preferred,,Passenger side is called "Off Side Backing" I am a truck driving instructor (Class A) and we practice both drivers and off side backing to be proficient.. All of our literature states that Drivers side backing is the safest and preferred because you have better visibility.
With that being said you should be proficient with spacial awareness to be able to back off side. In order to be proficient you need to practice!! Its allot of fun!! Take your trailer, spouse and friends to an open parking lot,,,free of light poles. Borrow or rent 10 or more Four Foot tall delineators. and set up a few camp ground back ins!! Practice drivers side and off side!!
Truck schools spend up to three weeks of closed course driving before they head out on the road!! Parallel parking a tractor trailer is a requirement in most states,,, It is fun to do,, and I have done it only to slip a trailer in between two other parked trailers,, it takes practice,, but is allot of fun to do!! Have fun with your trailer and be proficient at backing!! It makes you a more confident driver and makes the trip allot more fun!!
Do Not Forget,,, Always "GOAL" if you cannot see,, Get Out And Look!!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

true, but a spotter can make it much easier. I do prefer the drivers side, but in reality, it's which way (a) I can get in, or (b) if a very few cases, which way traffic can go. I've found that in the vast majority of "one way" traffic, I've been able to and in a few cases instructed by the campground to go the "wrong way" for access.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Try putting a camper under my shed with out a spotter. You won't get far. Back out of the road between 2 trees 10' apart, turn while backing to go around, and back down the side of the house, turn again to back thru the gate, and turn again to the blind side as you go thru the gate to back under the shed. BTW. You will NEVER see the fence on the passenger side until the TV gets almost thru it. The TT has to be pointed at the shed before it gets thru the gate.

Yes I'm good, Real good. But even I can't do it with out DW. She lets me know when I'm fixing to hit the fence.

Friends that camp also. Ask. how do you get it back there? Again. I'm good, but not with out her.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
penguin149 wrote:
Is there a correct side (driver vs. passenger) from which to back into a camping spot? We went out this weekend and I backed in from my usual side....the driver's side. Saw others enter from the passenger side while others from the driver's. The spots were probably angled less to the passenger side but many would cause you to back up an incline in the road. I didn't notice any correlation between the angles and inclined road, so that didn't seem to make a difference.

Realizing that angle of entry, among other criteria, dictates which side to back toward; are there reasons to choose one side vs. the other?

Yep there is a correct way to do it. you back in to the side with the sewer hookup, the electric hookup, and the water hookup on the back side of the trailer. That is what I look for. I don't have enough hoses to run them under the camper to the hookups.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Halmfamily wrote:
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Makes no difference to me.

X2

X3 I seldom look back, I use my mirrors!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Makes no difference to me.

X2
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mosseater wrote:
Eventually, you should get proficient at both. Campgrounds with one way streets and two way streets present different challenges.

Exactly. In the end it makes no difference
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eventually, you should get proficient at both. Campgrounds with one way streets and two way streets present different challenges.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH