cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing with a sway bar

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that you shouldn't back up with a sway bar attached. What exactly is the issue? I can imaging that if you jacknife the trailer it would try to shorten the bar below it's minimum length. Is that the only issue?
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
29 REPLIES 29

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
The instructions do say to remove it while backing. They also say to loosen it in rainy or slick conditions. May prevent the TV from turning correctly

Being able to reduce friction is a good thing that is not available in the over-priced brands.

Water is an effective lubricant. I would think water would automatically reduce the friction of the Equalizer 4 pt or Reese dual cam. I use a dab of grease on my L brackets anyhow to keep them quiet so it's already less effective.
Threads like this make me wonder. Are the candy bars as effective as the Equalizer and dual cam with the difference being convenience of not having to remove anything? Are they noisy?
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have never unhooked the bars reversing. Anything you can do going forward, you can also do going backwards.
I think they write that into the directions so someone jackknifing a trailer wont dent their bumper or damage the hitch.
Simple answer; Dont jackknife!

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
" it can result in bending it or breaking the ball it pivots on" only if you jackknife the trailer which you can do when backing up but can't when pulling. I never removed mine as I can back up without jackknifing the trailer.

Before switching to the 4-point Equalizer I used this system for years. Like Ivylog, I'd take it off if doing any technical backing, but if just backing straight up, or relatively straight, I'd leave it on. Do what you're comfortable with. Guess an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in most cases.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Fastway E2 (cheaper version of Equalizer)and that is a selling point that you do not have to remove. https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on the type of sway control you use. I have a Curt TruTrack that uses bars that slide on a hanger and have never had any problems backing. It may pop off the balls, but pops right back on without any damage. I suppose if I jackknife to the point the camper hits the back of my truck I may bend a bar. Though that is a bit far fetched.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
The instructions do say to remove it while backing. They also say to loosen it in rainy or slick conditions. May prevent the TV from turning correctly

Being able to reduce friction is a good thing that is not available in the over-priced brands.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
" it can result in bending it or breaking the ball it pivots on" only if you jackknife the trailer which you can do when backing up but can't when pulling. I never removed mine as I can back up without jackknifing the trailer.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
I've been doing it for years on two different trailers using two different types of hitches (Reese and Equalizer) and never had any issues.

the OP is talking about a add-on friction antisway bar, which the Equal-i-zer doesn't have.
old tech add-on friction antisway bars should be removed when backing since it can result in bending it or breaking the ball it pivots on.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I've never read to remove bars while backing an Equal-i-zer brand (and never had an issue with mine, a selling point IMO), but yep, I've seen a few bent friction type sway units over the years.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
No issues with my Equal-i-zer either. Maybe just lucky.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing it for years on two different trailers using two different types of hitches (Reese and Equalizer) and never had any issues.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
It's just the risk of bending it. I never took mine off. I just pulled forward and repositioned if the angle was getting too close to a 90.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I bent one backing into my driveway. The insert was bent so badly I could not repair (unbend) it. Luckily I had a spare.0

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
It may also extend it to far. I just installed one at home and Im going to check mine out soon.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k