cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bedroom A/C unit

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
The A/C unit in our bedroom has the internal thermostat. The fan runs continuously and the compressor cycles on an off as needed.....I am wondering if there is a way to make the fan stop when the set temperature is reached? The fan running at night drives me nuts and keeps me awake....
6 REPLIES 6

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
How about some ear plugs?

navegator

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with MrWizard. The fan and AC going on and off is much more likely to keep you awake. Once you adjust to the fan running it's constant white noise. You can't adjust or get use to a sound that goes on and off periodically throughout the night.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving the fan running helps the coil condensate drain off and reduces the chance for mildew to build up on the coils. Some control systems allow for a set time delay between the end of the compressor cycle and the fan shut off.

However, the reason for AC units with internal thermostats to run the fan is so that the room air circulates by the thermostat and allows for better temperature control. A remote mounted thermostat isn't affected by the local cold air around the rooftop AC unit so it does a better job.

MrWizard
IIRC all roof top A/C units with built in controls ( no wall stat )
leave the fan on

to do what you want you will have to rewire and include a time delay between fan and compressor, they are designed to have fan running and then cycle the compressor

the fan keeps you awake ?
but the fan and compressor both going on/off will Not disturb you ?
are you sure about that ?

there are many people here that will run the fan just for 'white noise' or to circulate the air
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a newer Atwood per my conversation with their customer service folks, that is the way it is designed to work. Some other brands work differently and the fan can be set to only run when the compressor runs.what brand is yours?
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, on any A/C unit I'm familiar with, there's a switch to turn the fan on continuously. Do you have that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman