cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best GPS?

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks. We just drove the truck from North Idaho to Florida and back. We helped family repair storm damage, eat fried chicken, and went to the Cape for the Falcon Heavy launch. The final evening meal was shrimp, wrapped with bacon, dipped in butter. Huh? Huh? I still lost over 5 pounds.
We have/had an old Garmin GPS that went crazy as we entered Georgia. It finally was removed from service and thrown away. Now, we're shopping a new GPS to use with the truck/fifth wheel combination.
My question is; what is the "best" GPS? After reading the online comments, there are lots to be desired with what is on the market.
45 REPLIES 45

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Goducks has the real answer. My spouse is pretty good at directing me.
I'll look into the Garmin 770 series.
We used a relative's Lincoln MKC while in Florida, and it's GPS took us 40 miles out of the way because of the toll roads. I knew the thing was routing us a different way, but just blindly went along until it was too late.
Thanks to all----can't wait until the trailer comes out of the side yard, and we can meet all of you again.

Yeah I was semi joking but the truth is she's pretty good at using Google Maps. I picked up a Chromebook this last fall and I'm going to tether up to it so she can have a larger map.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goducks has the real answer. My spouse is pretty good at directing me.
I'll look into the Garmin 770 series.
We used a relative's Lincoln MKC while in Florida, and it's GPS took us 40 miles out of the way because of the toll roads. I knew the thing was routing us a different way, but just blindly went along until it was too late.
Thanks to all----can't wait until the trailer comes out of the side yard, and we can meet all of you again.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™d take a look at the Garmin RV 770. Nice big screen, plenty of features, and you can update it over WiFi... No computer required. I donโ€™t trust Google maps as the last time I tried, it still didnโ€™t find my house.

I have the smaller 660RV. It's nice but a GPS isn't the last word in trip planning.

RV Trip Wizard is a great planning tool now that MS trips and streets is not supported, easy download from Wizard to my Garmin 660
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
bailer6334 wrote:
Two things to consider on smartphone/iPhone apps.

1. If you lost cell phone signal you do not have real time data.

2. When using map apps, unless you have a unlimited data plan, you are being charged for data usage.

I have been told you can download the route, but I prefer a Garmin 760LMT

1) You don't have real time data with a dedicated GPS either in that case...or when you are in cell range.

Dedicated GPSs (with traffic) do have realtime data, via sideband signals sent over the FM broadcast band--or at least that's where mine gets traffic data from. It's only available in urban areas, so presumably cell service would be reliably available there as well.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
But doesn't WAZE require real time data from people who are supposed to be driving their cars? I don't think that's such a great idea. Not a lot of difference between texting, and entering traffic conditions while driving.

Much of the data is collected automatically. The rest, at least theoretically is input by passengers.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I use my wife. She always knows the best way to go. That way I'm never wrong. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
But doesn't WAZE require real time data from people who are supposed to be driving their cars? I don't think that's such a great idea. Not a lot of difference between texting, and entering traffic conditions while driving.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Another huge fan of WAZE here. It does an amazing job of routing me around road incidents and traffic backups. I use it every day for my commute.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bailer6334 wrote:
Two things to consider on smartphone/iPhone apps.

1. If you lost cell phone signal you do not have real time data.

2. When using map apps, unless you have a unlimited data plan, you are being charged for data usage.

I have been told you can download the route, but I prefer a Garmin 760LMT

1) You don't have real time data with a dedicated GPS either in that case...or when you are in cell range.

2) If you are worried about data, you can download the area ahead of time and it uses negligible data.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps works for me, but whatever you decide to use, do not throw away your road atlas.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™d take a look at the Garmin RV 770. Nice big screen, plenty of features, and you can update it over WiFi... No computer required. I donโ€™t trust Google maps as the last time I tried, it still didnโ€™t find my house.

In that case I would not put too much trust in Garmins maps/database when it comes down to RV specific destinations, especially if your totally unfamiliar with the area you're visiting. They are one for three getting it right with us on 3 out of state trips. Instead of the campground listed it took us to a locked gate 7 miles away once, and another time to a bridge that was washed out 5 years prior during hurricane Irene that will never be rebuilt. Not a big deal other than both required backing the trailer up about a mile to turn around. Add to that the RV height and weight info works about 60% of the time. Get just a little off the Interstate or main highway and you get a lot of "RV accessibility unknown" messages. I trust Google maps way more than Garmins data. I still cant figure out why I paid a premium for an RV specific GPS that I need to cross check everything it tells me with other sources.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sygic Caravab on a smartphone, offline maps and height aware and when you buy a new phone just transfer the license, no need to re-buy. You can try the truck version for a month for $10 and a lifetime license is only $89 for the caravan (RV) version, much cheaper than a standalone height capable unit.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
I can tell you what the worst one is. The one that came built in my 2015 Chevy Silverado. Itโ€™s so bad itโ€™s a joke now.

But they are entertaining.
I was parked next to the store and it directed me to drive around the block and stop exactly where I was.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Garmins for 12 years. The newer Nuvi's have more features but tend to have a high failure rate for me, mostly quit communicating with the computer.
I keep a Nuvi 550 as a back up. Cell phones are ok when they work but as noted Verizon coverage in the TX hill country is poor.

We have to build our own routes on the computer because we avoid interstates. Sometimes US hwys are tricky through small towns as the paper maps don't have the detail.

For the older Garmin's there are work arounds for lack of memory.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:

I have the smaller 660RV. It's nice but a GPS isn't the last word in trip planning.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......