cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better/safer to have only one w/d bar? Or none?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
One socket clip on my Reese round bar broke while on the road..it won't hold the bar now..

Getting a repair or replacement can't happen until after our return leg later this week

Our trip home about 325 miles

Left side bar and socket fine

Here's the question.. for our return trip, am I ok/better to run with a single w/d bar? In other words, is one better than none? Or does having a w/d bar on only one side create an unsafe imbalance situation or something, such that it's better/safer to run with no w/d at all?
Thx
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
31 REPLIES 31

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
All this drama over towing a 6K trailer 325 miles without a WDH, with a 1500 truck? Amazing.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CarnationSailor wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
trailernovice wrote:
Getting a repair or replacement can't happen until after our return leg later this week
Really??
What if your drawbar breaks because you've exceeded its rating? Just speculating on what the other side of the coin looks like.

Not sure, but I think the forces on a drawbar are about the same with or without a WDH. That is, I don't think the purpose of a WDH is to reduce the force on the drawbar.

It is not the same force. IF you were to look on your receiver. you should see 2 weights listed. One for WDH, and one for weight carrying (no WDH). the weight carrying will be about 500lbs. the WDH could be for 1,000 lb. depending on what your TV is rated to tow. In reality. You very well could break the receiver by towing with out a WDH.

OP. I would suggest you get a new WDh before towing home. With out the WDH, there is a good chance your TV won't like towing the trailer, and will be all over the road..

your choice. Pay about 450 dollars or take a chance on putting it in the ditch. there is a reason you need one.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bedlam
If you know your actual trailer tongue weight and truck receiver ratings, it will give you the answer whether you can tow without weight distribution torsion bars.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

gandydancer
Explorer
Explorer
Towing with one is better than none. It is possible to overload truck hitch.
04.5 Dmax EC SB
04 Sunnybrook 2450

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my trailer without the Equal-I-zer bars a couple times. It towed fine but was more sensitive to passing semis and the like. Your trailer doesn't appear that it would be too much for a newer half ton. I have a similar truck and would go without. If you haven't already, consider airing truck tires to max, assuming they are the OEM P-metric.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or view the Towing Limits thread just under this one. After seeing that, you wonโ€™t be worried...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™ll just throw this out there.....there are about 100X more trailers the same size and weight as the OPs camper on the road every single day behind half ton trucks with NO WD bars.

Youโ€™ll be fine until you can repair the camper binky.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd leave one one.

The forces of a single bar are still mostly inline with the trailer, and your hitch system sees far more eccentric loading during normal turns with both bars hooked up. One bar gives you half WD so it still aids with traction on your steer tires.

I agree with Ben on the bunjee. Had to do that on my Hensley once. Worked fine.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I only use mine to keep the headlights down on the road.
Do a lot of towing without it.
Never any sway either way.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Bungee cord, used them when still had the boat

Worked so well, kept them in case another emergency crossed our path
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
trailernovice wrote:
Really??
What if your drawbar breaks because you've exceeded its rating? Just speculating on what the other side of the coin looks like.

Don't know about breaking drawbar. But "repair can't happen" worries me. If the WDH is needed for safe towing, fix it. If not, why have it? If it can't be repaired because your vacation time is more important than safe towing

blt2ski
Been there done that. Took them off.
Make sure trailer is reasonably level to nose down. May have to raise ball up a knitch. Otherwise. Head home.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
trailernovice wrote:
Really??

Not sure, but I think the forces on a drawbar are about the same with or without a WDH. That is, I don't think the purpose of a WDH is to reduce the force on the drawbar.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
trailernovice wrote:
Really??

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Concur with pitch.
I have to get out of my drive and in the flat before installing the load bars. I failed to properly fasten one and lost it along the way from home to campsite, about 70 miles, over half interstate. Found it missing during set up. Didn't notice any difference while driving. Going home, I just used a basic ball mount vice hassling with the WDH heavy hitch head. There were noticeable winds on the interstate so I tried to limit my speeds 60-65MPH. On the way there, I was driving closer to 70 to stay with traffic, pushing 75 on the downhills.
I was concerned with a single bar putting a twisting force on the TT A-frame, WDH assembly, and htruck hitch/frame. My sway control is dependent on the load bars so I just drove a bit slower.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,